Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

11 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

30 hours in and I've just got to 

Reveal hidden contents

Vinland

This game is huge, but it's holding my attention much better than Odyssey.

As a huge fan of Odyssey I've struggled a bit to get into this, it's my fault though as I've just been trying to play it like the older games and haven't really been letting it settle into its own rhythm.

The lack of side quests really threw me for a loop to start with. I'm so used to just picking up a whole bunch of quests and clearing out an area, almost MMO-style, before going back to the one single main story quest and advancing things just far enough to get to the next big area. You can't do that in Valhalla. 90% of the game seems to be main story. It's undoubtedly a reaction to the criticism of Odyssey where people who didn't want to do side quests were perpetually underlevelled, but it feels weird to just trust the game and let it pull you through the story like this does. I'm kind of getting used to it now, and the story's actually pretty decent, but it's a huge step change for the series.

Things I still don't like: most of the World Events so far seem to be played for laughs, in contrast to the main story which is Very Serious At All Times. It's like they're trying to copy Yakuza in that regard, but sadly here they are simply not funny (often being poorly acted, sub Monty Python rubbish) and the abrupt shift in tone detracts from the game rather than adding to it. Earlier games had the occasional moment of levity but mostly played it straight, and were more immersive as a result. Also, the game is very buggy, as others have pointed out (which will hopefully be fixed), has terrible screen tearing (which will hopefully be fixed) and has lousy animation and voice acting (which certainly won't).

All that said, it's definitely growing on me now (just finished Ledecestershire) and hunting down all the various treasures and events is lots of fun. I found my first Animus Anomaly last night, which gave me serious AC3 flashbacks, and together with all the haystacks and the return of social stealth the game definitely feels like it's trying to be a bridge between new AC and old AC. I like it, I suspect I'll like it even more a couple of weeks from now.

11 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

As a huge fan of Odyssey I've struggled a bit to get into this, it's my fault though as I've just been trying to play it like the older games and haven't really been letting it settle into its own rhythm.

The lack of side quests really threw me for a loop to start with. I'm so used to just picking up a whole bunch of quests and clearing out an area, almost MMO-style, before going back to the one single main story quest and advancing things just far enough to get to the next big area. You can't do that in Valhalla. 90% of the game seems to be main story. It's undoubtedly a reaction to the criticism of Odyssey where people who didn't want to do side quests were perpetually underlevelled, but it feels weird to just trust the game and let it pull you through the story like this does. I'm kind of getting used to it now, and the story's actually pretty decent, but it's a huge step change for the series.

Things I still don't like: most of the World Events so far seem to be played for laughs, in contrast to the main story which is Very Serious At All Times. It's like they're trying to copy Yakuza in that regard, but sadly here they are simply not funny (often being poorly acted, sub Monty Python rubbish) and the abrupt shift in tone detracts from the game rather than adding to it. Earlier games had the occasional moment of levity but mostly played it straight, and were more immersive as a result. Also, the game is very buggy, as others have pointed out (which will hopefully be fixed), has terrible screen tearing (which will hopefully be fixed) and has lousy animation and voice acting (which certainly won't).

All that said, it's definitely growing on me now (just finished Ledecestershire) and hunting down all the various treasures and events is lots of fun. I found my first Animus Anomaly last night, which gave me serious AC3 flashbacks, and together with all the haystacks and the return of social stealth the game definitely feels like it's trying to be a bridge between new AC and old AC. I like it, I suspect I'll like it even more a couple of weeks from now.

There are actually tons and tons of side quests but they’re all just extremely short ‘events’. I’ve put about 40 hours into this and barely touched the main story. 

There are much longer side quest lines like the tablets and the Daughters of Lerion of that result in getting some really cool weapons and armour, but they’re quite hard to find. 

I love this. I enjoyed origins but bounced off odyssey as there was just too many icons and too much to do but I’m finding this so satisfying. 

Its up there with brotherhood and AC4 for me. I’m sure every other AC is good and the other is mediocre. 

AC1, AC3, AC Unity, odyssey - mediocre

AC2, AC4, AC syndicate, origins, Valhalla - Great! 

( I know I’ve missed a few. There’s been bloody loads!)

I’m really enjoying the episodic nature of this, and that although it’s massive it’s much more focused. You can sit down of an evening and make progress on a story pact or whatever it’s called, or do some raiding to build up your settlement, or just rinse an area looking for side quests or loot. 

I loved Odyssey, but yeah this feels like a step up. And it’s gorgeous with everything turned up to ultra too

Are Ubisofts servers crap? After giving up on Watchdogs this week until they patch the mess that it currently is, I thought I'd install AC:V this morning. It's currently downloading the 40 Gig+ update at a snails pace of 20 Mbps whereas my speed checker on the X is showing nearly my full fat speed of 200 Mbps.

I don't remember Watchdogs taking that long to install on launch and at this speed it may be ready in 6 hours.

12 hours ago, cohen205 said:

I love this. I enjoyed origins but bounced off odyssey as there was just too many icons and too much to do but I’m finding this so satisfying. 

Its up there with brotherhood and AC4 for me. I’m sure every other AC is good and the other is mediocre. 

AC1, AC3, AC Unity, odyssey - mediocre

AC2, AC4, AC syndicate, origins, Valhalla - Great! 

( I know I’ve missed a few. There’s been bloody loads!)

Where the fuck is Black Flag in that assessment? It’s not even up for debate whether or not that is one of, if not the best AC game.

15 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

It’s nice to see King’s Lynn and Wisbech are a horrible swamps in this, filled with misery and occultists. 

Highly accurate depiction in my experience.

Yeah I briefly stumbled in to my home county of Essex and Eivor had a pretty damning response to that. Looking forward to returning there proper once I’ve powered up a bit; assuming a bit of lairy late night action there

No doubt that this is one uncommonly beautiful game.  All I'm doing is travelling between high points, ransacking a few monasteries along the way and beating everyone at Orlog.  Climbed the white cliffs, saw day beak over the Weald (is this the famous ray tracing in action? ), gorgeous.  Between this and FH 4 .....

My main quest seems to be blocked by a bug now.  On the Sons of Ragnar at the bit where you need to talk to Ubba in Repton.

The quest marker would not appear on the map and when I selected the quest from the menu and go back into the game I get the "go into menu to select a quest" message in the top left of the screen so looks like it is not really selecting it.

I managed to find him myself and could initiate the chat but when it finished nothing more happened and it wont progress :(

Closing down and reloading a save made the quest marker appear but also a longboat on the land and Ubba now won't speak to me at all :(:(

Tried heading to Norway and then back to England, made the longboat disappear but Ubba still won't speak :(:(:(

Seems like lots of people have issues with this quest so hope it will be fixed soon, I've spent loads of time on exploration and side quests so am too far in to restart

Thoroughly enjoyed sinking hours in to this, and it's had a few good story beats too...

Spoiler

Should have totally seen the Ivaar/Rhodri one playing out in tragedy but it was still a :O moment, to me at least, when he tells you he had set the whole situation up. Good fight too.

Feels like there's a lot of game left in this, hoping I can see out the story before the looming distraction of Cyberpunk

I'm enjoying some of the ways this is different to the last two games, but not others. The world events are fairly basic but I prefer how it doesn't just tell you everything with map markers and you have to actually engage with it. I watched some reviews that didn't like the combat, but I don't mind it. The hammer I have is meaty and very satisfying.

I'm less keen on what seems like a lack of equipment. Before there was an abundance of it, far too much. But here even when you go out of your way to find chests I still hardly have any with little variation. Is there anything more unique with fun perks later on?

I was approx level 80-90 for this spoiler:

Spoiler

When you go to Vinland and you lose your equipment (the reasoning seemed a bit weak and the gameplay isn't string enough to try and replicate eventide from BotW). It was immersion breaking that you kill some soldiers with your bare hands but then cannot pick up any of the weapons that they visibly drop.

11 minutes ago, pledge said:

I'm enjoying some of the ways this is different to the last two games, but not others. The world events are fairly basic but I prefer how it doesn't just tell you everything with map markers and you have to actually engage with it. I watched some reviews that didn't like the combat, but I don't mind it. The hammer I have is meaty and very satisfying.

I'm less keen on what seems like a lack of equipment. Before there was an abundance of it, far too much. But here even when you go out of your way to find chests I still hardly have any with little variation. Is there anything more unique with fun perks later on?

I was approx level 80-90 for this spoiler:

Hide contents

When you go to Vinland and you lose your equipment (the reasoning seemed a bit weak and the gameplay isn't string enough to try and replicate eventide from BotW). It was immersion breaking that you kill some soldiers with your bare hands but then cannot pick up any of the weapons that they visibly drop.

That section was also super buggy in general I found. 

2 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

That section was also super buggy in general I found. 

It was also much more basic than I first thought it would be.

Spoiler

When it said trade with locals I thought it was going to be the start of a back and forth series of fetch quests getting more and more valuable items.  Not just go to a trading post and buy a weapon.

I think I prefer the way this handles weapons and armour than the last two games. In Odyssey I was constantly being showered with new items, most of which I'd just break down after having to compare it with my current equipment. Here I just pick what I like and upgrade when I can. I'm still running with a two handed golden axe that catches fire on critical hits. :D

I'd agree that combat's a bit limited though, and so far I've not had the opportunity for the big complex stealth sections I liked from the older games. I'm hoping both get expanded a little more as I go.

Speaking of pronunciations, and maybe I'm at fault here, but I find it really odd when characters pronounce Oxenefordshire as Ock-senna-fordshire. Personally I'd pronounce that as Oxen-fordshire, treating the second e as silent. But like I said, maybe I'm the one pronouncing it wrong. :)

However, female Eivor pronouncing rations as ray-shuns is all manner of wrong!

I finally finished this after god knows how many hours. It’s a very very long game. The whole last section is almost completely incomprehensible though. Shame it was such a damp squib, as the journey there was mostly fantastic. 

Still have a couple of straggling Zealots to get rid of, and still have hundreds of markers left to clear (I did do almost all the ones I came across though, ending up at around lvl 350) but by about level 250 I’d unlocked all the skills and was just assigning points randomly really, as there was nothing left I cared about and I could pretty much kill anything with just a couple of blows. 

I'm enjoying the patch notes for today's patch, which include such gems as "Crows will no longer fall randomly from the sky", "Fish will now spawn in bad weather", and "Addressed an issue where dogs would start levitating when the player pets them".