rllmuk
Peb Kacharach

Resident Evil 4 Remake reportedly underway... that interest ya?

1 minute ago, Bojangle said:

Given the churn rate in the industry, probably not many. If we’re going by that as a qualifying metric for a remake to be greenlit we’d see very, very few. Which some people may think is a good thing. :p

But at the end of the day if you stick someone who’s first console is a PS4 in front of a PS1 and RE2 they’d turn it off in five minutes. Those people are never going to choose to go and play the original, for them playing a Remake is the same experience as it was for us however many years ago, and that is a GREAT THING. More people enjoying a beloved IP = more games for everyone, new and old fans. Why gamers try to put a shitty narrative on this is beyond me.

Cash grab? Yes, a business in wanting more ways to make money shocker. :o

You said we should let them have creative freedom of their games, not me. But they don't have creative freedom because they are not even there! 

I am not against people enjoying a beloved IP but there are more honest ways to do it which are more appreciative of the art, as we have seen from other industries. If they are doing a cash grab they really don't care about the art. And when I see someone doing exactly that, as with the latest FFVII Remake, I can't help but wonder what's next. 

Apparently it's Resident Evil 4. Oh well.

God you know what I meant. I didn’t mean the literal original developers. Christ.

4 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

God you know what I meant. I didn’t mean the literal original developers. Christ.

But your point makes no sense then. If Sakaguchi himself remade FFVII's story it would be fine as a choice, it's his creation, no matter if we liked it or not. The same would apply to movie classics as well. Don't you understand the difference of getting another person's work and slicing and cutting it to suit an audience it wasn't meant for as cash grab? Why do you think we have writing in FFVIIR like "You know how much ass I can kick?". 

It is hypocritical of us to just let all the errors of the remakes go because we love them so much and it hurts the industry in many ways. At least it will. 

Ffs Gamespot awarded a 10 to FFVIIR.  :facepalm:

Mate you're the one with a big hate boner for FFVIIR not me.

Anyway, I'm done with this, I can't take anymore gamer-ism's of developers being "honest" and a fucking incredibly large scale production (5+ years as of writing) being considered a cash grab. :lol:

• Upvote 2

Just now, Bojangle said:

Mate you're the one with a big hate boner for FFVIIR not me.

You have a love boner, I have a hate boner. It's so sweet. :P

Just now, Talk Show Host said:

You have a love boner, I have a hate boner. It's so sweet. :P

I'm actually somewhere in the middle right now, it has some high points, and also some lows! Certainly far from perfect. Thank god we still have the original! :)

4 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

I'm actually somewhere in the middle right now, it has some high points, and also some lows! Certainly far from perfect. Thank god we still have the original! :)

Ι can't argue with that.

• Upvote 1

I’m so behind on the series that I only finally got up to Zero a few months back. RE 4 original is the next in my order and I’m scared I’m not going to appreciate it as much as I could have done had I played it years back. I love RE but very much am stuck in the old RE style. 

You’re in for a real treat. It’s a blast from start to finish. It’s not traditional Resi, but it’s still Undeniably a Resident Evil game. You’ll love it I’m sure, think of it like an action move spin off if it helps. 

• Upvote 1

Honestly not quite sure what to think about this - I did wonder if RE4 would be on the remake list, it's still a fantastic game if you can get over the somewhat weird controls.

Actually, it's probably my favourite game of all time and the remake news scares me a little.

They have two choice - a remake that remains as faithful as possible to the original or a re imaging like RE3.

RE4 is a massive game in comparison to RE2/RE3 - I think the castle area would take most people the same amount of time to complete in the same time it takes to complete RE3 for example. However, RE4 does suffer a little with pacing - the castle slows things down a bit, it does drag on a little near the end too... but generally it's a fun experience.

So, would the remake cut down certain areas to improve the pacing? Would it remove puzzles ala RE3?

I wouldn't be surprised either if the Chainsaw guy makes much more of an appearance in a remake too. 

So, yeah I am looking forward to the remake but at the same time with the changes they made with the previous two remakes i am a little concerned.

Suppose the original RE4 isn't going away anytime soon though.

I think it's another case of best leaving it to my wonderful cherished memories of one of the greatest action adventure games ever made. If it's anything like REmake 2, I'd be noping out of it anyway, no matter how good a reimagining it was :P

Code: Veronica reimagining is more of an interesting prospect as that would be a massive change from the original game. Shit your pants realistic lighting and zombies, hell nope! :)

2 hours ago, Super Stop and Shop said:

Rescuing the president's daughter seemed liked a pretty admirable mission back in 2005. Now? Not so much. I hope there's an option to leave her in that dumpster. 

I'll do my best.

For me, it boils down to this one point. Resident Evil 2 and 3 were great at their time but with today's tech you can give the games a total overhaul. You wouldn't want to play resi2 on a PS1 today because the doors, loading times , controls etc have all been bettered since. But resi 4 is still brilliant and can be played at 60fps with hd graphics on PS4 already. A remake will be pointless unless they reimagine it and you can reimagine other games, but reimagining one of the best games of all time when it still stands up as the best of the series anyway  , well, that's going to be difficult.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dumpster said:

For me, it boils down to this one point. Resident Evil 2 and 3 were great at their time but with today's tech you can give the games a total overhaul. You wouldn't want to play resi2 on a PS1 today because the doors, loading times , controls etc have all been bettered since. But resi 4 is still brilliant and can be played at 60fps with hd graphics on PS4 already. A remake will be pointless unless they reimagine it and you can reimagine other games, but reimagining one of the best games of all time when it still stands up as the best of the series anyway  , well, that's going to be difficult.

For me too. I completely get remaking 2 and 3 because you can't play them on current consoles (Vita excepted) but 4 is still brilliantly enjoyable on PS4. It would have to be a complete reimagining if they changed the controls. I know people have moaned about them and how modern controls would be better, but those people are ignoring the point thats been made so many times. The whole design of the game and the enemies and their behaviour is based around those controls, and thats what makes it work so well. It would be a completely different game, and if thats going to be the case, then why not just make a completely different game? I for one wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole until I had read a tons of reviews and impressions of it, and it's one of my favourite games of all time.

• Upvote 2

I find it really weird playing RE4 and being rooted to the spot when I aim the gun, so I'd love to see a remake which brings it more in line with modern control sensibilities, although I appreciate that has a HOST of knock-ons which may negatively impact the experience if they're not catered for properly.

Plus, I've not played RE4 in about 8 years, so it'll probably feel pretty fresh for me.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, mexos said:

I’m not into Nintendo games at all.

Apologies in advance for derail...

OK, I’ll bite lol

What is “a Nintendo game”? Because from where I stand, Nintendo produce perhaps the most diverse range of software in the industry. Nintendo gives us Mario, and Fire Emblem. They give us Zelda, and Splatoon. They give us Brain Training and Animal Crossing. They give us Pokemon and Metroid. They give us F-Zero, and Pikmin. They give us Starfox, and Labo. They give us Kirby, and Smash Bros. And I’ve missed a lot of stuff off.

I can’t even begin to define a “Nintendo Game”, let alone consider broadly ruling the lot of them out.

Its like saying, I don’t like food. Not specifically sprouts, not specifically cauliflower, not specifically even Thai food. Just all food.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Make it VR, that would be awesome!

Horror fits VR perfectly, so much better than yet another flat screen remake. They could take this to the next level.

10 minutes ago, rgraves said:

OK, I’ll bite lol

What is “a Nintendo game”? Because from where I stand, Nintendo produce perhaps the most diverse range of software in the industry. Nintendo gives us Mario, and Fire Emblem. They give us Zelda, and Splatoon. They give us Brain Training and Animal Crossing. They give us Pokemon and Metroid. They give us F-Zero, and Pikmin. They give us Starfox, and Labo. They give us Kirby, and Smash Bros. And I’ve missed a lot of stuff off.

I can’t even begin to define a “Nintendo Game”, let alone consider broadly ruling the lot of them out.

Its like saying, I don’t like food. Not specifically sprouts, not specifically cauliflower, not specifically even Thai food. Just all food.

I really wasn’t trying to bait anyone. 

I mainly play driving games that try to be realistic and the occasional survival shooter like resi or TLOU. Nintendo don’t make the type of games I like. If they decide to make a better realistic racer than GT Sport I’ll happy play it. 

Resident Evil 5's DLC (Dangerous Escape) is also incredible and whilst a skilled player can finish it in half an hour, it's better than any part of the full game.  It's relentless, like a Mercenaries mode with a plot.

1 hour ago, rgraves said:

Apologies in advance for derail...

OK, I’ll bite lol

We all know you really, really, really like Nintendo games its okay. 

They probably don't need you to defend their honour.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, El Spatula said:

We all know you really, really, really like Nintendo games its okay. 

They probably don't need you to defend their honour.

i know it’s OK. They’re (mostly) great. Some of the best in this little hobby world of ours. I don’t need your permission to think that.

Strange how the original poster I was replying to managed a much more adult reply than you - probably because he wasn’t desperately trying to work out if he could slip fanboy or NDF into his post. Which I’m fairly sure you probably were.

sorry everyone - back to RE4, which is a masterpiece. One of the best ever. I’m torn on the remake front - good luck to them, must be pretty daunting to even try and live up to it.