rllmuk
Peb Kacharach

Resident Evil 4 Remake reportedly underway... that interest ya?

You can tell this is a fools errand from this thread alone. Half the replies want them to add movement whilst aiming, the other half don’t want them to cut a single thing from the original, and a handful even seem to want both.

RE4 was explicitly designed around the control scheme, so if they’re changing a single thing about how it plays (and let’s face it, they are, otherwise this would just be a facelift) then we’re looking at a complete redesign. Based on the incredibly lacklustre RE3 I really don’t fancy their chances when it comes to reimagining one of the most imaginative games of all time. It was lighting in a bottle.

• Upvote 5

While I've enjoyed Capcom's two recent remakes from the series, RE4 is one of those near perfect games that just doesn't need the same treatment nor would particularly benefit from it. The previous remakes went from fixed camera to an RE4 over the shoulder style perspective, what can really be done here differently to make it worth our while?

5 minutes ago, Joystick Chevron said:

While I've enjoyed Capcom's two recent remakes from the series, RE4 is one of those near perfect games that just doesn't need the same treatment nor would particularly benefit from it. The previous remakes went from fixed camera to an RE4 over the shoulder style perspective, what can really be done here differently to make it worth our while?

Mechanically identical but with a proper HD remaster with new textures that remain thematically inline with the original intent. I'd hate for them to do a Halo Anniversary, where the new graphics ruined the readability of the level design.

5 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I disagree. It still plays perfectly.

The control system is an integral part of the game. Change it and it might be great, but you are playing something else. 

to argue the games entire reason d'etre  IS its appalling control scheme...kinda takes away form the game!?

you can still use the sticks properly, whilst imposing penalties on not staying still!

Control and "feel" in action games is literally the bedrock of the experience. The way Mario jumps is the core of those games and hence why it was designed with that as the starting point.

Resi 4 simply asks you the question: do you want to move OR shoot right now? Choose wisely.

• Upvote 6

Nobody’s saying you couldn’t make a good RE4-like game with new controls but it wouldn’t be RE4 any more. Although that would be in line with what the REmake project has been doing, I guess.

• Upvote 1

I love Resident Evil 4 as it is already; it still plays brilliantly and it's available on almost every platform. There's nothing I'd particularly want them to improve in a remake so they might as well just go wild with it. Big potato-sack headed bastard chasing you at all times with raytraced reflections in his chainsaw.

I'm surprised they're not remaking Resident Evil 1 in their new engine instead. 

I’m sure that’s the plan. Complete, global, saturation. As it were. 

Oh boy. Another chance for me to make a core of the sun hot take. 

I agree with @Benny about everything in the game being designed to create the unique gameplay. Going back to it though it does take a little while to re-jig your brain into not using twin-sticks all the time.

Resi 4 pretty much created this genre and as such created a lot of the gameplay elements used all over the place and built on ever since, some have been kept while others were left behind, the camera/controls being the most obvious. I can’t see them not at least tweaking the controls for modern gamers. I do expect an option for classic controls as I think Capcom have offered that in the past in remakes, and I’ll probably go with that.

I'd prefer a Re1 remake then CV, then Zero.

If a RE4 remake is true I'd like for them to give it the RE2 treatment but they'd have to change the enemy attack to match a new control scheme and make them tougher, give them some new surprise attacks.  I.e I love that in RE2 zombies can follow you into rooms.  

The original RE4 is not going to fall off the face of the earth once a remake is released so purists can go back to it or even better play the RE4 HD project on PC will hopefully be finished by then and you can play the ultimate version of the original RE4 which looks amazing. (you can still play through it right now as it is mostly complete)

http://www.re4hd.com/

• Upvote 1

Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3 were PS1 games and remastering / remaking them allows a complete reimagining of the games, a current gen equivalent of what used to be cutting edge in the 90s.

I've recently played a number of remasters on PS4 , like Bioshock and Bulletstorm and these were games that were HD on the previous gen. If you play the 2 consoles side by side you can see the difference but if you just play the remaster it seems to be exactly as you remember it. 

Resident Evil 4 is one of the best games ever made and still is.  As others have said, the controls are a deliberate design choice. It has not dated at all and the complaints people make today are the same complaints people made on its original release.  When they added more fluid controls to Resi6 people didn't like it.

I have Resi4 on every console I own and the Wii version with gunsight control is still the best in my opinion.  The PS4 remaster is good but my brain doesn't see the difference between this version and any previous one, once my brain gets used to the graphics.  It's a stable 60fps and whilst there are odd bits that could be improved upon (reload animations are 30fps, cut scenes could be redrawn), I think the remake would be ultimately the same game, and a reboot risks changing things unnecessarily, risking the "lightning in a bottle" that was the original.  I just can't imagine what this game is going to be, because it has already been remade, it is already one of the best games of all time, what do they think they can do with it?

• Upvote 1

Genuinely don't agree regarding the controls. The control scheme was a product of the times and was a poor interim replacement for the shitty tank controls. It's an amazing game, but it's an amazing game despite feeling like you're controlling a cruise liner with a pistol. With non shite controls it could be the best game ever.

I’m not into Nintendo games at all. Just not my thing. I bought a GameCube literally just to play RE4. Regrets, zero.

Yes, yes I will be buying the remake.

• Upvote 2

Kind of like remaking Jaws to make the shark look more realistic. Just leave it alone.

• Upvote 5

I am in the minority here for sure but I really don't like this whole remake business we seem to be getting into. It undermines the historic importance of games for the younger generations and it creates a double standards in the industry, as the remakes of great games get away with things modern games don't. Companies completely take advantage of this and it's very puzzling how we, as gamers, are so eager to denounce their practices like, for example, microtransactions, only to nod in agreement when it suits our personal feelings of nostalgia.

Well, I guess it's not so puzzling when you think about it. 

I would so much prefer if companies only did remasters and focused on their resources on new things. Give us better resolution, maybe slightly better controls, better graphics, some more saving points, better sound quality and improved writing in certain places or even add a sector or two to make the story more complete. That would be enough to keep the essence of a classic alive and respect the importance of the evolution of design. As I said, I know I am in the minority, but I see a lot of hypocrisy on our part about these things, like for example how we are ready to denounce AC Odyssey's writing compared to W3 but praise FFVII Remake's writing at the same time because it is better than the original (it's not).

And now, Resident Evil 4? One of the best games ever made? We are going to cut and slice it to suit modern needs -although this won't happen either essentially- just to milk the series and our wallets even more? What's next? Ocarina of Time? :blah:

God, I feel old writing this. 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

32 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

What's next? Ocarina of Time? :blah:

No, Super Mario 64.

Edit: Just realised you may not actually know that this is a real thing. 

Kinda feels like we've hit the same point as the movie industry, we're all old and nostalgic enough to buy stuff we loved as young adults and now have the disposable income to do so.

10 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Kinda feels like we've hit the same point as the movie industry, we're all old and nostalgic enough to buy stuff we loved as young adults and now have the disposable income to do so.

Maybe so. But movies do not remake Citizen Kane or the Godfather or Kubrick's Odyssey with new directors, new scenes and new techniques. Companies value their artistic importance. Imagine what would happen if there was a remake of Empire Strikes Back with another story. Do you think that people would just be happy about it? 

Remaster the classics, sure. Make them easier to play and control by today's standards, don't fucking change them because the new audience can't really understand what the hell was going on back then. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

4 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Remaster the classics, sure. Make them easier to play and control by today's standards, don't fucking change them because the new audience can't really understand what the hell was going on back then. 

Or alternatively let developers have the creative freedom to do what they like with their games. If you don’t like it, the original game is still a thing that exists!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bojangle said:

Or alternatively let developers have the creative freedom to do what they like with their games. If you don’t like it, the original game is still a thing that exists!

Developers? How many developers or designers of the original games are in charge of the remakes? And if so, how many do they have the creative freedom to do what they want? 

The original game is still there, yes, but no one is going to play it when the new version appears. This isn't about me replaying a game I originally loved, it's about bringing those classics to a new audience while respecting what they have achieved. This whole remake thing is rapidly becoming a cash grab and nothing more.

4 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Developers? How many developers or designers of the original games are in charge of the remakes? And if so, how many do they have the creative freedom to do what they want? 

The original game is still there, yes, but no one is going to play it when the new version appears. This isn't about me replaying a game I originally loved, it's about bringing those classics to a new audience while respecting what they have achieved. This whole remake thing is rapidly becoming a cash grab and nothing more.

Given the churn rate in the industry, probably not many. If we’re going by that as a qualifying metric for a remake to be greenlit we’d see very, very few. Which some people may think is a good thing. :p

But at the end of the day if you stick someone who’s first console is a PS4 in front of a PS1 and RE2 they’d turn it off in five minutes. Those people are never going to choose to go and play the original, for them playing a Remake is the same experience as it was for us however many years ago, and that is a GREAT THING. More people enjoying a beloved IP = more games for everyone, new and old fans. Why gamers try to put a shitty narrative on this is beyond me.

Cash grab? Yes, a business in wanting more ways to make money shocker. :o

• Upvote 5