rllmuk
Peb Kacharach

Resident Evil 4 Remake reportedly underway... that interest ya?

Following its re-imaginings of Resident Evil 2 and 3, multiple development sources have told VGC that the Resident Evil 4 remake has now entered full production with an estimated release window in 2022.

Development is being led by Osaka-based M-Two, the new studio founded by former PlatinumGames head Tatsuya Minami, which has been preparing for the project since 2018.

However, similar to how 2020’s Resident Evil 3 was led by company Red Works, Capcom’s internal teams and other external studios are likely to lend support.

It’s understood that the remake has the blessing of original game director Shinji Mikami, who officially declined an approach to lead the project himself but has provided informal advice on its direction.

The studio helming the remake has been in operation since 2018 and is comprised of many former Platinum and Capcom employees.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/resident-evil-4-remake/

Led by a new team that contributed to the significantly downsized Resident Evil 3.

Would've preferred CV, Zero or a whole new game in the Remake style. Both Resi 2 and 3 Remakes suffered from obvious development issues and seemed oddly rushed.

I'd welcome the news they were returning to finish either as definitive editions next gen.

This means we have... RE8 in 2021. RE4R in 2022? Feels like to do this properly the release date will slip by a year or two.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Yay, I can buy it for more platforms, and then give up when I get to the first house, and get chainsawed!

• Upvote 4

They’ve already released the original about 20 times including on current platforms. A bit ridiculous, considering, but I expect I’ll still buy it as I haven’t played it since the GameCube launch.

If they can fix the utter shite controls that would be awesome. It plays horribly these days*

* Not interested in the 'Its supposed to be like that to build tension' argument. Other games have used modern controls and managed to be tense.

• Upvote 6
  • Empathy 2

Inevitable, but if it's of the standard of the RE2Make it'll still be a GOTY contender. I replayed the PS4 port last year, and although the controls did feel horrible to begin with, once you get over that it's still a brilliant game by any measure. There's not an ounce of fat on it.

• Upvote 3

Stolen because funny:

Intro -> Village/Town Square -> Raccoon City Sewers -> Military Base but only one Building -> NEST3

• Upvote 3

Could be the greatest videogame of all time. Could also be the biggest disappointment of all time. And probably nothing in-between.

• Upvote 3

It was better on the Wii with pointy and waggle controls, so any remake will probably be worse than that version. 

That being said, any update needs better inventory management and to allow movement while aiming. The original game feels archaic these days with those limitations. 

• Upvote 4

Oh god it's the Resident Evil 3 team again. Rather they tackled Code Veronica, they couldn't fuck that one up if they tried

37 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

If they can fix the utter shite controls that would be awesome. It plays horribly these days*

* Not interested in the 'Its supposed to be like that to build tension. Other games have used modern controls and managed to be tense.

I disagree. It still plays perfectly.

• Upvote 8
  • Empathy 1

4 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

That being said, any update needs better inventory management and to allow movement while aiming. The original game feels archaic these days with those limitations. 

Noooo stop it.

• Upvote 5

55 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Both Resi 2 and 3 Remakes suffered from obvious development issues and seemed oddly rushed.

Haven’t played 3 yet but you’re high talking about 2 like that.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I must have missed the glaringly obvious development issues when I played GOTY 2019 ReMake 2 

• Upvote 5

43 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

* Not interested in the 'Its supposed to be like that to build tension. Other games have used modern controls and managed to be tense.

How is it possible for someone to be so wrong? I played through it a month ago and it was still bloody brilliant, no issues with the controls at all. Have you tried sucking less?

I don't think they should touch this. RE2 2 was my most anticipated game but they kinda shit the bed on one of the most important aspects of the game, the A B playthrough. If they were going to be so half arsed about it they should have probably just made it so you switched between Leon and Claire throughout the campaign to experience the few differing story beats.

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 1

19 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Oh god it's the Resident Evil 3 team again. Rather they tackled Code Veronica, they couldn't fuck that one up if they tried

Hoping they won’t funnel you through the forest with logs and forestry equipment blocking any other pathway. 

The first couple of hours of Resi 3 were amazing though. We don’t know which team did what.

5 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

There were documented dev issues. At one point they scrapped it started from scratch. And the game cut content from the original. Still a GOTY contender.

RE4 is a lengthy game. If they couldn't even manage to remake the slender RE3 without cuts then it doesn't bode well for this.

Yeah, and to add to that 2022 is such a short development time for this and it's not like they can reuse assets from 2 and 3 either. 

Anyone know what the RE2 team are up to?

As long as they don't downsize it like they did with RE3, we should be golden.

But with a release planned for 2022, I think they'll be going all out on this one.

I suppose we can count on a CV remake being off the cards then.

Oh and

"Your right hand comes off?"

should definitely be in it.

It felt like a lot of people really wanted a Resi 2 remake and to a lesser extent Resi 3. I don't think I've seen anyone asking for a Resi 4 remake. With the number of times it's been re-released already, there's less nostalgia to tap into.

The perspective and action is similar enough to the current crop that it'll be more directly comparable. And with the size of the original, it feels like a big gamble. Although for once, I'd actually welcome some trimming. 

• Upvote 2

Not really. I can’t see this benefiting in a significant way from any remake. Code Veronica is a far more logical choice. 

• Upvote 5