Super Mario 3D All-Stars - patch adds invert options and GC pad support in Sunshine

I’m playing Mario 64 for the first time and on the whole enjoying it. However, in the snowy level I need to do a triple jump to get to a star and I just can’t consistently do the damn thing. Am I missing something obvious or is the timing just really right/difficult to nail? It’s got to the point where it’s just frustrating me now and I’ve had to turn it off!

5 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

I’m playing Mario 64 for the first time and on the whole enjoying it. However, in the snowy level I need to do a triple jump to get to a star and I just can’t consistently do the damn thing. Am I missing something obvious or is the timing just really right/difficult to nail? It’s got to the point where it’s just frustrating me now and I’ve had to turn it off!

Oh, are you maybe talking about the star where you need to wall jump? Mario 64 wall jumping is a different beast altogether, that’s never not a wee bit tricky, especially compared to the later games.

20 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

I completely agree with this, except you choice of comparison. Without going into spoilers LoU2 does things, it can only do as a game. In that sense it is very much like SM64. Thats, I think, one of the reasons a lot of the 'haters' came from watching streams of it.

ONLY If you've finished Last of Us 2:

Hide contents

The disconnect between being forced to make a character do things you desperately didn't want them to do was at the heart of what the developers wanted you to experience from the game. It makes you reflect on what revenge is. How it drives you past all reason and sense. The feeling is completely different to a passive observer in a film. It's a unique experience, and unique to the medium.

Mario 64s story is better than TLOU2. 

7 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

If this is the wall jump star you don't need to triple jump to reach the bit of wall you can jump back from.

32 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

I completely agree with this, except you choice of comparison. Without going into spoilers LoU2 does things, it can only do as a game. In that sense it is very much like SM64. Thats, I think, one of the reasons a lot of the 'haters' came from watching streams of it.

Reveal hidden contents

The disconnect between being forced to make a character do things you desperately didn't want them to do was at the heart of what the developers wanted you to experience from the game. It makes you reflect on what revenge is. How it drives you past all reason and sense. The feeling is completely different to a passive observer in a film. It's a unique experience, and unique to the medium.

No intention of ever playing TLOU2: They Found More Us but that spoiler makes it sound really embarrassing. Like Bioshock Infinite levels of embarrassing.

4 minutes ago, PyramidFace said:

No intention of ever playing TLOU2: They Found More Us but that spoiler makes it sound really embarrassing. Like Bioshock Infinite levels of embarrassing.

Yeah probably best you don’t in that case. 

I thought it was really something special. 

1 hour ago, LaveDisco said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think I felt this playing the watermelon festival in Super Mario Sunshine.

1 hour ago, Bushtopher said:

Wall Kicks do work? (it's the name of the star). Just timing really. If you think this star is frustrating wait till some of the later levels :D

Regarding the wing cap, what’s the knack to it? I could never use it back in the 64 days and neither now. I just sort of glide with it rather than fly to the skies.

Im loathing underwater sections in this. Used to love them back in the day but the controls have aged. Trying to swim and position yourself directly in front of a chest to open it is a wrestling match between you and the camera/controls. Very annoying that you can’t open a chest from above or the side but only directly in front and central. Grrrrr

25 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Regarding the wing cap, what’s the knack to it? I could never use it back in the 64 days and neither now. I just sort of glide with it rather than fly to the skies.

You need to dive forwards to generate speed, and then pull back on the stick to gain altitude. It's then a case of continuing this "wave" like motion and rhythm throughout flight. Feels good man.

1 hour ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Im loathing underwater sections in this. Used to love them back in the day but the controls have aged

Really? I thought Mario 64 nailed it first time, and I’ve  really struggled with the changes  they’ve made since, even in Odyssey.

Yeah, the Sunshine void levels are S-tier god level 3D Mario, no doubt about it. I feel like they were almost the proof of concept for the more assault-course like Galaxies, 3D Land & World. It's just a pity you need to trawl through a pile of jank to get to them :( 

Sunshine is simultaneously some of the best 3D Mario going and also the worst. Odd game and a missed opportunity.

6 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

I don't think there's a star on the snowy level (the first one, certainly) that needs a triple jump. Which one?

There’s a straight through line from Sunshine void levels to Galaxy. But I find them pretty unforgiving in comparison. The void sucks you right in a lot. Nintendo wouldn’t make 2D levels with that level of instakill, at least to much later in the game.

It makes me wonder if the whole alternative gravity thing in Galaxy was less about confusing you and more about giving you more ways to miss your jump and still land on something. At least that’s what it plays like - liberating.

6 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

You just press it just before/as you land. I’ve always found it easier to do a couple of quick jumps before the third.  Pretty much the first thing I do in any new mario game is see if it has a triple jump. 

In other news, the lack of a long jump in sunshine is a fucking crime against humanity. 

Its not just you. Sunshine would be greatly greatly improved by making certain platforms 30% bigger. The twitchiness is off the charts, I was struggling to jump on the nails in the void levels.

I had a run today of about three really shit stars (clean eels teeth, blooper race; and red coin void level) and I think I am done now after 31 shines.

Can't believe how much I used to love this game and how bad it feels now.

On 22/09/2020 at 07:54, StoooTube said:

Is it just me, or is it really hard to judge distances in Sunshine?! I’m struggling to make jumps / land on platforms with FLUDD.

In fact I’m also finding it hard to navigate narrow platforms. The controls are a bit twitchy. 

I haven’t played the GC version since about 2004 so can’t remember if that was the same.

I decided to go in quality order rather than chronological (Sunshine ->64->Galaxy and then 3D World when they release it) and I'm glad I did.

I'm thoroughly enjoying Sunshine, although I can understand that if you're playing the other two masterpieces alongside it that it might fall short.

It's like having eating the cabbage first in your roast dinner. It's well nice, but you know you've got the parsnips and potatoes just waiting. 

• Mr. Gerbik changed the title to Super Mario 3D All-Stars - patch adds invert options and GC pad support in Sunshine