Super Mario 3D All-Stars - FEEL THE SUNSHINE LOVE (now in HD)

19 minutes ago, Rain Birds said:

Fucking hell, the section in Sunshine behind the Ferris wheel with the platforms that rotate when you shoot them must have the single worst example of a camera in a major video game.

1 minute ago, Calashnikov said:

That bit is the first thing that comes to mind whenever I think of Mario Sunshine :( 

Is this that bit that you can skip by Skyrimming your way up the other side?

11 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Yep.

Ah. So why don't they just do that :P

Fun fact, first time I played Sunshine I didn't even realize I had to go round the back with the moving platforms and shit. I just saw that the Shine was at the top and since I had already explored there before by going up the front, I just took the same route. 

53 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Has no one considered that Lakitu may just be inexperienced? Toad bought him a camcorder from Dixons for his birthday, but in 1996 there was no YouTube where he could watch a tutorial series to learn how to frame shots properly. Stop crushing the dreams of a young documentary filmmaker, it was his first project FFS!

These day's it would be a mobile phone he'd be holding.  Perfect licensing opportunity for nintendo there!

22 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

These day's it would be a mobile phone he'd be holding.  Perfect licensing opportunity for nintendo there!

You’d hear Lakitu shouting “WORLDSTAAAR!” whenever Mario runs up and punches a Goomba.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Ah. So why don't they just do that :P

Fun fact, first time I played Sunshine I didn't even realize I had to go round the back with the moving platforms and shit. I just saw that the Shine was at the top and since I had already explored there before by going up the front, I just took the same route. 

I think it looks like you can’t hover over to the top from the other side because the Ferris wheel is spinning quickly, but you can actually hover through it no problem.

2 hours ago, Rain Birds said:

Fucking hell, the section in Sunshine behind the Ferris wheel with the platforms that rotate when you shoot them must have the single worst example of a camera in a major video game.

I loved that bit... was like a wee puzzle. Once you work it out, scaling up there quickly is great fun.

3 hours ago, Alex W. said:

5 mins on Google - they’re camera-to-texture, there’s a second game camera in the appropriate spot to make the reflection image and that’s fed on to the surface.

Render to texture.

Screen space effects use a similar technique though. You render to a buffer, draw that to a full screen quad and use a shader to affect the rendered texture. 

7 hours ago, Rain Birds said:

It is horrendous. Makes the camera in SotC appear almost functional. 

I'm up to 12 shines now and I'm getting a little more used to dealing with the camera not being inverted. The game seems to tick along at a good pace considering I'm only going for the minimum number of shines. I may have to return to earlier levels at a later stage to collect more shines but I'd hope the most frustrating ones are avoidable. I take issue with not being able to long jump. Diving just isn't as satisfying.

7 hours ago, the_debaser said:

It is horrendous. Makes the camera in SotC appear almost functional. 

Back in the day it was one of the major things that made me hate sunshine. It was horrifically badly designed. The camera is also a pain in the arse in hotel delphino.

Currys have it back in stock with code fnddgame bringing it down to £38.99.*  Figures that happens after I buy it at sainsburys at full whack with a gift card I've had sitting around for 9 months!

*With thanks to hotukdeals for that one.

Finished Mario 64 and now I am really enjoying Sunshine. It definitely has a very different feel to the other 3D Mario games but at the same time you can see the influence it must must have had on the Splatoon and Luigi's Mansion games. It looks gorgeous - it feels almost like if Sega had made a Mario game. In fact if this was a Sega game we'd be saying this was a classic, but I guess it has a lot to live up to in the series.

I don't know what is more mind-blowing, that this came out 5 years after Mario 64 or that Mario Galaxy came out 10 years after Mario 64.

Got to 51 stars and started to find Mario 64 a slightly fiddly chore. I have such nostalgic affection for the earlier worlds, less so for the later ones and I might be done with it. SMS seems a bit duff but I like how easy it is to do a side jump. 

10 minutes ago, Graham S said:

Got to 51 stars and started to find Mario 64 a slightly fiddly chore. I have such nostalgic affection for the earlier worlds, less so for the later ones and I might be done with it. SMS seems a bit duff but I like how easy it is to do a side jump. 

I agree with this. The first half is iconic, the latter half runs out of steam for me. And some of the stages are really ugly too - particularly the swamp. I mean, a swamp?

Sunshine has fewer stages, but they’re all lovely, and there’s more stuff hidden away in them. Very much a precursor to Super Mario Odyssey.

I’m too stubborn to give up, but Mario Sunshine truly is a test of patience. I’ve only got 12 shines yet I feel like I’ve spent hours wrestling with its controls and camera.

Time to move on to Mario 64 I guess...

35 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Sunshine has fewer stages, but they’re all lovely, and there’s more stuff hidden away in them. Very much a precursor to Super Mario Odyssey.

I love that you can see other stages in the distance. Makes Isle Delfino feel like one large “world”, with only the void levels taking you out of there.

It’s a beautiful looking game, particularly on the Lite’s screen. But the game itself, I think it’s less playable than the GameCube original. 

• Mr. Gerbik changed the title to Super Mario 3D All-Stars - FEEL THE SUNSHINE LOVE (now in HD)