Super Mario 3D All-Stars - Everybody Loves Sunshine starring Mario (in HD)

Yeah Sunshine badly needed a once-over. The difference in polish compared to Galaxy is STARK. So many weird little irritations

Still loving 64 even though it feels small and a little clunky. It's still got something about it

I got curious and it turns out it's easy enough to make your own version of this on the PC, but with 60fps widescreen Mario 64, 60fps Mario Sunshine with non-inverted controls and button-to-spin Super Mario Galaxy with the pointer on the right stick, wonder if some cheeky sod will put together a PC launcher equivalent to Super Mario 3D All-Stars :ph34r:

Base_Profile_Screenshot_2020_09.23_-_00_22_04_13.thumb.png.56666b197cb5bfb7765974aaa6212a4d.png

Dolphin_Emulator_Screenshot_2020_09.23_-_00_24_35_04.thumb.png.3d205aa6123c394467c67b707cadb8cf.png

Dolphin_Emulator_Screenshot_2020_09.23_-_00_35_17_71.thumb.png.1e2dab0a45a166908a1629c272015705.png

18 minutes ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

I got curious and it turns out it's easy enough to make your own version of this on the PC, but with 60fps widescreen Mario 64, 60fps Mario Sunshine with non-inverted controls and button-to-spin Super Mario Galaxy with the pointer on the right stick, wonder if some cheeky sod will put together a PC launcher equivalent to Super Mario 3D All-Stars :ph34r:

Base_Profile_Screenshot_2020_09.23_-_00_22_04_13.thumb.png.56666b197cb5bfb7765974aaa6212a4d.png

Dolphin_Emulator_Screenshot_2020_09.23_-_00_24_35_04.thumb.png.3d205aa6123c394467c67b707cadb8cf.png

Dolphin_Emulator_Screenshot_2020_09.23_-_00_35_17_71.thumb.png.1e2dab0a45a166908a1629c272015705.png

I've done the same thing. I've got that pc port of 64 running at 60fps wide-screen and playing it with my steam controller with mouse camera on, didn't bother with HD textures as I don't think they gel well with the low poly graphics. I've added some reshade shaders on top to give it a less sharp and more retro feel. No draw distance pop-in is of course very helpful for spotting Red coins miles away. Currently have 51 stars so far.

Mario sunshine I'm playing with a genuine cube controller, wide-screen 60fps, HD hud not textures though. Cutscenes look rough compared to new switch ones but whatever. Game can be very frustrating, finished it back in the day, it's a love/hate game for me.

Galaxy I'm playing with a Wiimote. Just straight up running the game 1080p nothing else added, looks amazing, could try an HD texture pack but can't be arsed really, looks good enough already I think. Never played the game way back when, really enjoying it but does feel like exploration is nonexistent and you just blast through the levels.

Saying all this though, it took me ages to get these games running how I like, I would like the Switch versions but Nintendo can piss off with their limited time availability and lazy'ish ports. I think they should have released them separately over time and given them some real attention especially 64 and Sunshine.

Petey Piranha Strikes Back was real bollocks. “I know, let’s have a flying enemy, mini enemies spawning on the ground and a camera that stops well short of letting the player look at the sky”.

I also fell to my death through the scenery just trying to get to the sleeping Petey.

So I finished 64 (though not the full 120 stars yet) and it was amazing. 

When people are designing the next big game, whether the last of us or uncharted or RDR or gta or witcher or other similarly shit games, they should make the designers play this game and remind them what is fun. 

Just don’t let them loose on sunshine. 

On 21/09/2020 at 23:22, Azrael said:

Aye, got it literally first try after that post. Wasn't looking out for the shadow before. 

The owl does tell you to watch for the shadow.

Started with Mario 64 & noticed that I was playing the first few worlds pretty much on Autopilot as I already knew where everything was & how to get it.  But as I played further & the levels started to get trickier & less familiar I slowed down a bit & once more started to appreciate all the nuances of the controls & the joys & challenges of exploring these worlds.  This game still absolutely holds up after all this time.

I just hope Sunshine fares as well. I don't remember having too many issues with it at the time, but it was definitely much rougher around the edges than 64 & Galaxy.

Although this came on Friday, I've not had chance to look at it yet, until yesterday evening.  I planned to have a quick look at them all, then dive into Sunshine.  Started with Mario 64. Was initially shocked at how rough it all felt - the audio particularly felt sparse and rough - then struggled to get the first couple of stars.  30 minutes later the flow came back and I'm long jumping and flipping around the map, not even bothering trying to fight the camera, letting the auto camera do it's work.  I'm up to about 16 stars now, and haven't even started on the other two games.

Aren't the levels really small?  You forget, with the massive open world 3D environments we get to wander around in nowadays, how tiny the Mario 64 levels were.

I hate how the camera can't be corrected for running into the screen. Not being able to see where you're running is annoying the fuck out of me. Also I keep pressing the button to change to the close camera (which is too close) and expecting it to go back out at the back of Mario but it just goes to its previous position and throws me off.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

The owl does tell you to watch for the shadow.

Much like the Owls from Ocarina of Time and Animal Crossing I don't read what they say and just continously mash the buttons in the hopes it'll shut them up. :lol:

Got 32 stars in SM64 and 17 shines in Sunshine.  Holy shit sunshine is hard as fuck in places... I'd forgotten just how tricky those void levels could be.  While it does miss the backflip (you can do it if you plant your feet with fludd first then jump though) - I quite like the running backflip, walljump and fludd combo.  Also, to my old biased eyes at least, it still looks great.

I also noticed that SM64 levels feel so small now when back in the day they felt vast... I think there's a dip in quality or 'tightness' around some of the later levels though.  

I started with Sunshine and played about an hour - thought it looked really nice still, much closer to Galaxy than SM64 given it was released half way between the two.  Really struggled with the camera / fludd controls being on the 'wrong' stick, but I will go back....

Mainly got sucked into Galaxy and it looks fan-tas-tic - so smooth and the 1080p resolution looks like it was always made that way. Good quality art styles don't age quickly. God I love this game.

Then had a shock going to SM64 (which I've owned at least 3 times before on various platforms) and was shocked at how poor it looked, particularly frame rate where it seemed really rough, especially after playing the buttery smooth Galaxy. It's almost like I could see two frames at the same time, if that makes sense? 

13 minutes ago, Fondue said:

Then had a shock going to SM64 (which I've owned at least 3 times before on various platforms) and was shocked at how poor it looked, particularly frame rate where it seemed really rough, especially after playing the buttery smooth Galaxy. It's almost like I could see two frames at the same time, if that makes sense? 

Digital Foundry reports some frame pacing issues. Thankfully I've not noticed.

11 minutes ago, Fondue said:

I think that’s just what you get when you go between two similar games, from the same series in this instance, when there’s a difference of 60 and 30 FPS. I got the same when I dived into 30 FPS Darks Souls Remastered on the Switch after playing weeks of 60 FPS Dark Souls 2 on the PS4. I was in utter disbelief how how juddery DS:R seemed all of a sudden, despite never noticing it’s frame rate whatsoever when I originally played it for 100+ hours.

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

Aren't the levels really small?  You forget, with the massive open world 3D environments we get to wander around in nowadays, how tiny the Mario 64 levels were.

I remember when the Underground Lake in Hazy Maze cave felt like a really well tucked-away secret area.  Now it feels like a stroll down a corridor... a corridor with bottomless pits & rolling rocks, but still.

21 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Its a video game and it knows it and that’s what’s sorely lacking from games now.

What does this even mean? There are some big triple A cinematic games but there's never been greater variety and game genres catered to. 

Been playing through Galaxy for the first time since 2007. It looks mostly lovely in 1080p, though the cutscenes still looked distinctly low-res. It takes a wee while for the difficulty to ramp up though doesn't it? I seem to recall Galaxy 2 addressed this whereas the first game really takes its time getting to a point where you're being remotely challenged. Still a fantastic overall experience though.

That's a good thing IMO. I've done about 25 stars and already had a ton of fun that wouldn't have been helped by doing the same thing a few dozen times.

Plus Mario will be played by a lot of people with a lot less Mario experience in general, and they will find a lot of the early stuff harder. Putting barriers for them isn't a good thing. 

Galaxy 2 is a straight sequel, so can start from a little high base. 

Galaxy also introduced a whole new way of looking at mario levels and a lot of it was intro to get you used to thinking upside down - and for new wii owners, that needed quite a bit of handholding I imagine.  I've played Galaxy up to the point where the tutorial is effectively finished and saved it there.  

Up to 100 Stars in Galaxy now and having a great time. I did discover however that whilst it's great with the Pro Pad, all be it a little awkward with the motion stuff at times, playing it the way god intended, with split Joy Cons, is absolutely glorious. Not sure I'd ever have done the Rolling Gizmo Trial Galaxy with a Pro pad.

1 hour ago, Rob Rule said:

What does this even mean? There are some big triple A cinematic games but there's never been greater variety and game genres catered to. 

Well thats my point, to me a video game is not about realism or trying to recreate something, it's about experimentaton, being abstract and doing things other mediums cannot do. Like the Last of Us 2, that could easily be a film. Mario 64 could only ever work as a video game as the enjoyment comes from the playing, the wonder, the way games allow us to do things other mediums can't like have the character walk through a solid wall and find a secret or have you sit there and think about how you'll solve a puzzle that defies normal physics. Not saying stuff like Last of Us 2 can't be classed as video games, cos clearly they are but they are not 'games' in the traditional sense, they are interactive movie like experiences. Mario Kart is a game, Gran Turismo is a simulation etc.  Hopefully that makes some sense to someone.

46 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Well thats my point, to me a video game is not about realism or trying to recreate something, it's about experimentaton, being abstract and doing things other mediums cannot do. Like the Last of Us 2, that could easily be a film. Mario 64 could only ever work as a video game as the enjoyment comes from the playing, the wonder, the way games allow us to do things other mediums can't like have the character walk through a solid wall and find a secret or have you sit there and think about how you'll solve a puzzle that defies normal physics. Not saying stuff like Last of Us 2 can't be classed as video games, cos clearly they are but they are not 'games' in the traditional sense, they are interactive movie like experiences. Mario Kart is a game, Gran Turismo is a simulation etc.  Hopefully that makes some sense to someone.

I completely agree with this, except you choice of comparison. Without going into spoilers LoU2 does things, it can only do as a game. In that sense it is very much like SM64. Thats, I think, one of the reasons a lot of the 'haters' came from watching streams of it.

ONLY If you've finished Last of Us 2:

Spoiler

The disconnect between being forced to make a character do things you desperately didn't want them to do was at the heart of what the developers wanted you to experience from the game. It makes you reflect on what revenge is. How it drives you past all reason and sense. The feeling is completely different to a passive observer in a film. It's a unique experience, and unique to the medium.

• Mr. Gerbik changed the title to Super Mario 3D All-Stars - Everybody Loves Sunshine starring Mario (in HD)