rllmuk
NexivRed

I found my (dad’s) album: the sound of Sunday lunch

Okay, so it seems Vangelis is responsible for a favourite piece of music I’d forgotten all about! 

Reminds me of another piece of music that was added to a relaunch of the launch of this album a few years later. 

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

I’m going to listen to this album on Spotify although I fucking hate Enya.

Yeah, skip it. Did my head in. 

I remember hearing Orinoco Flow in the car when we picked my mum up from work as a kid. She worked Saturdays.
Looking back, it was 1988 so I was 6.

I always figured it was another Everything I Do, or Love Is All Around as my memory is that it was always on, week after week after week... I just checked.  3 weeks at number 1, 13 weeks on the chart in total.

It’s haunted me my whole life, in my memory. I hate it so much.

My stupid brain has made an association between it and driving on a certain road in my city. I can hear it as I type this.

13 weeks on the charts, 32 fucking years in my head !

Looks a decent album other than that

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Enya's mostly shite but this track off the first record works for me.

Dedicated to Ridley Scott, which kinda makes sense.

Anyway, that compilation of Nexiv's is like some New Age gateway drug. I give it a month before she's listening to Iasos and astral projecting away from this dying planet.

You can't mention the theme from Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence without linking to the vocal version Forbidden Colours!

For the longest time I thought this was sung by David Bowie.

• Upvote 1

The Sakamoto/Sylvian collaborations of that era were just so stupidly great. This was the peak, for me:

Everyone credits all the music to Sakamoto, but Sylvian was a talented synth programmer in his own right.

(This post may not be entirely relevant to the thread)

On 13/03/2020 at 21:32, Art Vandelay said:

Abraham’s Theme on the Chariots of Fire OST is a Balearic masterpiece. Vangelis is a magician.

This is wonderful, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll be picking up a copy of the album next time I see it for sure. It's always in the charity shops!

• Upvote 1

@NexivRed

Just listened to all the videos in your first post (and a few more besides) and it's all great music. I was born in 82, so I remember Enigma and Enya being in the pop charts at the start of the 90s, but what I find amazing is that despite not having seen any of the films that the Vangelis, Morricone or Sakamoto tracks come from, I know all the themes. 

Many of these themes I remember from my own "Dad's album" - The Synthesizer Album by Project-D (1990) - a selection of cover versions of contemporary Film & TV themes and electronic/pop music. I can only find these two tracks on Youtube, but I do now own the CD myself :)

Then in 1996 I made my own discoveries when superstar DJ Paul Oakenfold used a bunch of film themes as interludes in between his Trance music selections for his BBC Radio One Essential Mix (which I recorded onto cassette and listened to a lot). It was later altered slightly and released on 2xCD as the Perfecto Fluoro mix album. 

Here's the tracklist - I've highlighted the tracks that aren't Dance music.

01. H.H.C. - We're Not Alone (Original Mix) (re-edit)
02. Ryuichi Sakamoto - Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (Original Version) (re-edit)
03. Y Traxx - Mystery Land (Original Mix) (re-edit)
04. Red Sun - This Love (Longredsun Mix) (re-edit)
05. Ryuichi Sakamoto - Main Theme (from the Little Buddha soundtrack) (re-edit)
06. Man With No Name - Teleport (Original Mix) (re-edit)
07. Terrorvision - Conspiracy (Hexadecimal Dub) (re-edit)
08. Man With No Name - Sugar Rush (Refined Mix) (re-edit)
09. Eric Serra - Cute Name
10. State Of Emergency - Banks Of Babylon

11. Juno Reactor - Jungle High (Original Mix) (re-edit)
12. Ennio Morricone - Miserere
13. Virus - Moon (Jam El Mar Mix) (re-edit)
14. Grace - If I Could Fly (Oakenfold & Osborne Trance Mix) (re-edit)
15. Our House - Floor Space (Balls 'N' All Mix) (re-edit)
16. Zbigniew Preisner - Rain (The Secret Garden) (re-edit)
17. Johann - New Kicks (Original Mix)
18. Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings ("The Village", from the Platoon soundtrack)
19. Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven (Original Version)
20. Angelo Badalamenti - Brain's Birthday

21. Astral Projection Feat. D.J Jorg - Kabalah (Original Mix) (re-edit)
22. Wojciech Kilar - Love Remembered
23. Transa - Prophase (X-Cabs Remix One) (re-edit)
24. Section X - Atlantis (Original Version) (re-edit)
25. Björk And David Arnold - Play Dead (Tim Simenon Orchestral Mix) (re-edit)
26. Ozaka Oz - Real Nightmare (Original Mix) (re-edit)
27. Legend B - Lost In Love (Original Mix)

My pick of the bunch, again from a film I've never seen.

• Upvote 2

Bit sad that Badalamenti and Eno were skipped over a bit! Another Green World is probably a tad overrated but it's worth listening to the album if you haven't already.

@NexivRed

I collected a free box of CDs advertised on Facebook last week. Having gone through them today, I found a copy of Pure Moods! Would you like it?

3 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

@NexivRed

I collected a free box of CDs advertised on Facebook last week. Having gone through them today, I found a copy of Pure Moods! Would you like it?

Haha, maybe I should and start playing it every weekend for my kids lol. Although I’m not actually sure I have any hardware that could play it. Even my PC doesn’t have any disc drives. 

I've always loved that the Enigma Return to Innocence backbeat is sampled from John Bonham in When the Levee Breaks.

Although the Beastie Boys Rhymin' and Stealin' actually improves on it with just two simple scratches.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

It literally isn’t that.

All I read was soothing, over-written flowery prose created to arouse in the reader of a certain feeling of superiority and classiness. A pure mood, if ever there was one. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

I’ve read a few articles like that on Pitchfork. I always come away with nothing. It feels like they are showing off their vocabulary. 

The album is nothing special. There’s some great tracks on there (which could lead you onto some more great music from those artists) but there’s some absolute stinkers on there and I didn’t feel like it flowed well or had a consistent tone. 

Funnily enough, I just sold my copy yesterday. I presume the guy had also read the Pitchfork article. 

• Upvote 2

Fuck me, I just thought it might be an interesting article for people who enjoyed this album. Personally I wasn’t that bothered about the album and only skim read the article, I didn’t expect a critique of Pitchfork’s editorial policy.

I appreciate you sharing the link, as I was keen to read an interesting article on this album. I just didn't like what I read!