rllmuk
Silent Runner

Devs - Alex Garland sci-fi TV show

I thought all the acting was deliberately pitched as being slightly cold and detatched, which added to the tone. I never had an issue with Lilly's acting.

• Upvote 9

Just finished this and absolutely loved everything about it (well maybe there could have been less gold)

I also don’t get the Lily hate, I think she was acted perfectly.

Anyway quick question:

Spoiler

How come Nick Offerman and Allison Pil’s characters knew so much about what was going to happen but the DEVS system is only announced as working in the final episode?

I was a bit disappointed at the end to find the fact Kenton never

Spoiler

mentioned killing the Russian agent to Forrest and the blonde woman in the Devs screener of their meeting as a flag that the system was showing different realities,

but it turned out it was nothing anyway.

I enjoyed it a lot, it didn’t make any sense at the end but these type of stories never do. A lovely production all round, probably Garland’s best work to date (I don’t rate him much as a writer as a rule).

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:
  Hide contents

How come Nick Offerman and Allison Pil’s characters knew so much about what was going to happen but the DEVS system is only announced as working in the final episode?

Spoiler

Probably they'd been watching fuzzy versions of the events. I think we're shown a fuzzy view of Lily dying fairly early on? Or at least before the final few episodes.

Yes, there were fuzzy versions. But those versions were pre-Linden with both sound & vision, so it’s hard to see (GEDDIT?!?!) how they could have got that level of detail with those.

No reason why they couldn’t have watched it loads post-Linden, of course.

I think they had fuzzy versions of the future they could see.

Spoiler

The demo Sergai did with the bacteria showed they could see a small bit into the future but then it broke down. 

5 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

If that wasn't a plot hole, then it makes me wonder if actually what they were doing was manipulating events & people to create a future they wanted to happen, rather than acting out something they'd seen already.

Because otherwise it's a pretty massive plot hole since they only manage to get distinguishable sound working after the Lily events are set in motion, and via a method which Forrest reacts angrily to, as if he wasn't expecting it. He also reacts similarly when he's told they applied that same multiverse approach to every facet of the simulation to make the box fully work.

It also doesn't really make sense that Katie & Forrest are true believers in determinism, given that the clincher for Forrest recruiting Katie seem to be her vigorously pushing the multiverse theory in the university lecture scene.

None of it works if you think about it, the whole thing has more plot holes than an episode of Black Mirror. But so what? It looked lovely and has some cool bits in it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

None of it works if you think about it 

Er, I wouldn’t go that far!

8 hours ago, Liamness said:

Hide contents

Probably they'd been watching fuzzy versions of the events. I think we're shown a fuzzy view of Lily dying fairly early on? Or at least before the final few episodes.

Right yeah.

Spoiler

and iirc they only really acted like they knew what was going to happen down to the last second in the final episodes.

Also thinking about it, the main goal of DEVS was for the sim to be so perfect that Forest could get his family back, rather than just being able to see into the future. So I guess that’s why they only announced it works at the end.

I do wonder if the goal was always for Forest to live in the sim or if he wanted to bring his daughter back using that table thing with all the arms (I was a bit confused about that machine too to be honest).

Spoiler

He wanted to bring her back but not in the way that he ended up as with the multi worlds system half of her realities would be appalling, which is why he went so mental at the system being changed to use that rather than the other interpretation.

• Upvote 1

On 04/05/2020 at 14:25, PK said:

Reveal hidden contents

If that wasn't a plot hole, then it makes me wonder if actually what they were doing was manipulating events & people to create a future they wanted to happen, rather than acting out something they'd seen already.

Because otherwise it's a pretty massive plot hole since they only manage to get distinguishable sound working after the Lily events are set in motion, and via a method which Forrest reacts angrily to, as if he wasn't expecting it. He also reacts similarly when he's told they applied that same multiverse approach to every facet of the simulation to make the box fully work.

It also doesn't really make sense that Katie & Forrest are true believers in determinism, given that the clincher for Forrest recruiting Katie seem to be her vigorously pushing the multiverse theory in the university lecture scene.

Spoiler

Forest is but Katie wasn’t was the way I read it, in that Katie knew that certain actions like Linden falling off the bridge were going to happen in all the multiverses. She would pay the price to resurrect Forest, whereas he wouldn’t to resurrect his daughter.

• Upvote 1

Just randomly started watching this last week and binged it already. Absolutely amazing and oddly funny, I really enjoyed Ex-Machina and Annihilation so it's odd that I have no idea about this show. Like people say, it's full of plot holes but I find the plot holes kinda funny, dark and twisted. Like...

Spoiler

The kid who jumps off the bridge thing :lol:

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Capwn said:

Just randomly started watching this last week and binged it already. Absolutely amazing and oddly funny, I really enjoyed Ex-Machina and Annihilation so it's odd that I have no idea about this show. Like people say, it's full of plot holes but I find the plot holes kinda funny, dark and twisted. Like...

Hide contents

The kid who jumps off the bridge thing :lol:

What plot holes are there? (genuine question)

Glad you asked this as yeah when I REALLY think about it, perhaps just a 'feeling' I have rather than anything I can provide any actual examples of. It's more about the main concept and motives in general that as entertaining as they were felt far fetched. I should watch some "explained" videos to help me understand exactly what was going on.

Best sci-fi tv show I've ever seen.

• Upvote 1

I really struggled with the drama side of the show - the actress who plays Lily was entirely distracting, made me conscious that I was watching a TV show all the time.

I’m also not really clear/sold on Kenton’s motivations...

Spoiler

He does all the dirty work for Forest but then something (what?) spooks him and he becomes worried that could go to prison for it. He then sees that Forest and Lily are all buddy-buddy and assumes... what? That they’re conspiring against him? Why? Which means he then decides he needs to kill again because... to silence Lily and Jamie? But isn’t it Forest he’s scared of? Why would going rogue take him further away from prison? Forest is able to use and manipulate the police, not Lily. 

The sci-fi stuff was fun but I thought it was a shame it took until episode 6 or 7 to really get there in earnest. As @dumpster said I found myself clockwatching for too much of the run time. 

I wasn't actually a fan of the soundtrack (but thanks for posting it!) ... did everyone else like it? I found it really off-putting. I'm guessing it was trying to be a bit off but I could have chain watched more episodes in a row if it wasn't for the music.  

It's not a soundtrack I'd listen to outside of the show, and was often quite unnerving, but in context it was perfect.

I've watched more telly in the past few months than I have for the last five years - and this show could be what I've enjoyed the most in all of that time. It's certainly up there for sure.

I found it easy to accept the nonsensical aspects, plot contrivances and sometimes dodgy CGI because it felt like a singular, cohesive work made by someone laser-focused on doing its themes justice. 

My favourite parts were the impeccable sound design, the prevalence of non-typical actors in general and the criticism of the arrogant, murderous tech-saviour class in bed with the worst departments of government. I mean, Facefuck got bluntly name checked as an agent of societal harm. That's amazing to me.

It did good old fashioned tension and release really well too - enough for me to try and recommend this to one or two friends who enjoy crime stories but struggle with sci-fi (not totally unlike myself, now that I think about it). This show to me - despite its more outlandish aspects - still felt overwhelmingly grounded in reality. 

With regards to Lynden I understand that Alex Garland wanted the actor to have a very specific look.. which is why he ended up casting a woman to play the 19-year-old male. Personally I assumed Lynden was supposed to have been a straight up child prodigy and was probably around 16.

I also liked that in the scene Lynden and Stuart shared after it was established that Stuart knew more about life & culture as exemplified by him choosing to listen to Bach and Trane... Lynden was wearing a Primus t-shirt. I bet Stuart would've been completely out of his caramel-voiced depth trying to understand the brilliance of "My Name Is Mud" but that's probably a discussion for another time.

Wonderful show, binged way too easily. Loved it.

• Upvote 6

Ep 8 question

Spoiler

Why did the young kid always die by falling off the dam? And if Katie knew he always died why did she allow it/What did it prove?

1 hour ago, three1ne said:

Ep 8 question

Hide contents

Why did the young kid always die by falling off the dam? And if Katie knew he always died why did she allow it/What did it prove?

It was a test of faith in the philosophy. Perhaps Katie was just a bit of cunt and that's why she lets her, to prove the point.

15 hours ago, Minion said:

Hide contents

It was a test of faith in the philosophy. Perhaps Katie was just a bit of cunt and that's why she lets her, to prove the point.

Spoiler

I'm not understanding this. I thought it was roughly 50/50 whether he (character was a male?) would fall or not. Survive in some universes. Fall in the others. 

3 minutes ago, three1ne said:
  Hide contents

I'm not understanding this. I thought it was roughly 50/50 whether he (character was a male?) would fall or not. Survive in some universes. Fall in the others. 

That's what she told him, hence the test of faith. All the eventualities shown however saw him fall to his death, implying that she lied and he was definitely going to die.

Spoiler

Right. But she believed in the multi verse theory didn't she? She though Forrest was wrong with the single verse?

Just because she's a bit of a dick I don't see why she'd actively goed Lyndon to his death. All he wanted was to get his job back. 

Spoiler

I wasn't quite clear on that to be honest, but I think at that point she was mostly just going through the motions. She'd seen one particular future play out and felt she had no control over what happened. She was pretty shocked when Lily threw away her gun, even with her understanding of the multiverse.

Lyndon's death was still a little ambiguous though. It's possible that he really did survive in some universes, but if this was the case then it certainly wasn't the future that Katie saw.

That was just always going to happen.  She didn't believe personal choice would affect it, and I suspect she wanted to see it through to the end to understand why the future became invisible.