Formula One - 2020

Least surprising news of the week. I wonder how nervous Red Bulk are with how close Hamilton was to their drivers, sometimes without a mask, during the podium celebrations on Sunday.

1 hour ago, sprite said:

Nikita Mazepin signed for Haas

Open secret.

Interesting though because technically I think he still needs some sort of result in F2 to guarantee a licence.

So it's not necessarily (but probably) going to be The Waffle?

Could they really do a deal to put George in the car? Sweaty palms time for Bottas... Whoever comes in, he needs to dominate. Don't give Toto any ideas.

Stoff deserves another crack imo. If Ham is going to be out for 2 races why not give them a race each. Both championships are wrapped up so why not.

Mercedes Formula E driver. He’s testing in Valencia currently.

I hope Hamilton live tweets the race or Sky have him on the phone instead of one of the boring team principals during the race, it would be interesting to hear his insights.

45 minutes ago, mexos said:

Sweaty palms time for Bottas

Butters cant win (and I don't just mean the race, as that is a given). If he beats who ever it is then everyone will say of course he has so much more experience with the car, if he loses then lol...

There's a new format for F2 and F3 weekends. There will be races now, 2 sprint and 1 feature, with the feature now being on Sunday.

This bit sounds like a recipe for a farse though

"From 2021, the first sprint race's starting grid will be determined by reversing the top 10 from the qualifying order."

I don’t know who I’d like to see in Hamilton’s car the most. Putting Hulkenberg in tells them nothing, whereas putting Russell in gives them an idea for the future. I’d like to see Rosberg drive it, or just purely out of curiosity, Vettel. 

Vandoorne might be their reserve, but they can’t seriously be considering him. 

46 minutes ago, LowCostMonkey said:

I think it will potentially be a poison chalice for whoever takes it. Russell should stay at Williams certainly for this race. It's Williams best chance for points all season this race (with it being a power track).

I dunno. If Russell comes in for both races the team would still expect Bottas to be faster - but what they really want is to be surprised. A spark of something that really shows them not only that RUS can step up, but that he could be something special.

If RUS could come in an be within a tenth of Bottas and drive super clean races then it puts a LOT of pressure on Bottas. George should grab it if it comes imo. It's his chance and it may not come again. He's already spent too long in that Williams - another season and he might end up getting passed over Ocon style. (I'm convinced Ocon will never get a Merc seat)

Ham may decide to do a Raik and drive forever. If Ham is at Merc and still winning the case to keep Bottas is strong - he could end up staying another 3 or 4 years if Ham does.

For Stoff, it's a jolly and a chance to stand on an F1 podium. What's not to like. It's not like it's going to damage his career chances in F1 - I only see up side there. Hell if he won a race I could see him getting a route back to a seat in an Alfa or Haas in the future.

2 hours ago, ryodi said:

Mercedes Formula E driver. He’s testing in Valencia currently.

I hope Hamilton live tweets the race or Sky have him on the phone instead of one of the boring team principals during the race, it would be interesting to hear his insights.

Imagine the scenes if he just shitposts about Bottas all race long. Full send.  :lol:

No F1 driver is going to turn the seat down, if Russell gets the chance will grab it without a second thought. There is the risk that Bottas beats him by a huge margin but it's better to take that chance than be stuck at Williams for another year before being pushed out of F1 by newer drivers before you even get a chance. 

My outside bet it Checo telling Racing Point to do one and takes the Mercedes seat for the last two races. I cannot see Hamilton being back for Abu Dhabi.