rllmuk
JoeK

Poor purchases 2020

Because I’m assuming I’m not the only one who decides on a whim to buy stuff that is absolutely not a right fit for you.

For some unfathomable reason I bought Nier Automata yesterday. I had literally no desire to even contemplate playing the thing, but I kind of liked the artwork going on and it was only a tenner so I thought ‘what the hell’.

Absolutely not my type of thing at all.  Fucking hate it :( . I feel I’m missing out on something, but after a few hours tonight I gave up. Yet another game to add to the ‘grey’ area of the Steam library.

Ended up playing a bit of Mass Effect for the millionth time. 

I’m clearly happiest with familiarity.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 3

Wattam did absolutely nothing for me. Played it to completion looking for a part that might charm me, but just nothing. And I loved Katamari & Noby Noby Boy.

@JoeK 

Nier: Automata is 'the best boring game', in my opinion. It's the epitome of 'it gets good after X hours'. Ultimately, I loved what is brilliant about it and it genuinely gets better and better but it was often a repetitive grind. Long story short, I get where you're coming from. The amazing soundtrack and some great set pieces and dialogue carried me through, as well as the dogged persistence and gluttony for punishment which is my MO. 

Great thread, by the way. This shit is my bread and butter. 

• Upvote 6

In this age of Game Pass and massive game library overload, this is a great thread and a potential service - listing stuff we jibbed after a few minutes/hours and share why others might hate it. Whether we bought it or not.

Let’s clear our otherwise unclearable collective  backlog!

Personally: Got bored of Astral Chain after half a dozen hours. Story just didn’t grab me. Doubt I’ll ever go back. Shame on me.

Have no interest in returning to Shadow of the Tomb Raider either. Pretty, but the usual dull stuff.

I once again forgot that having fun watching someone who's really good at a game having fun playing it doesn't mean you'll have fun playing it yourself, so I shouldn't have bought Escape From Tarkov, which is an absolutely miserable experience as a new player when it turns out you're terrible at milsim shooters.

It also locks you out of playing as the no-risk-but-no-character-progress Scav character for 20 minutes at a time, and your main lose-everything-when-you-die character doesn't automatically heal up between runs so the only option to keep playing to practise ends up being offline, which is a complete waste of time in terms of being able to recover from all your losses.

• Upvote 1

Code Shifter - Arc System Works’ 2D crossover game (although actually only published by ASW.) A disclaimer before I begin - I got some enjoyment out of it, played to the end credits (excluding optional bonus objectives) and would probably play it again in the future, but for £15.49 I expected more. The default music for the main character is bland, there’s very little variety in the environments, there’s a feeling that your attacks are embarrassingly weak (no hitstun on most enemies and they take lots of hits), a lot of combat takes place in arenas that lock you in until you’ve defeated everyone (complete with prolonged reinforcement-spawning) and one of the final stages is an arduous gauntlet through too many spikes.

And I really didn’t want to pick holes in it, because the pixel art characters are awesome, the chiptune renditions of ArcSys themes are great, the assist attacks are nice, Colourful Fighters is a fun addition and it’s genuinely exciting when you find a new character/ability. As I mentioned, I found enough enjoyment in there but it’s average at best... and I probably wouldn’t mind so much if only the price was lower. Street Fighter X Mega Man offers a better 2D retro crossover experience, and that was a free download... :P 

6 hours ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

I once again forgot that having fun watching someone who's really good at a game having fun playing it doesn't mean you'll have fun playing it yourself, so I shouldn't have bought Escape From Tarkov, which is an absolutely miserable experience as a new player when it turns out you're terrible at milsim shooters.

It also locks you out of playing as the no-risk-but-no-character-progress Scav character for 20 minutes at a time, and your main lose-everything-when-you-die character doesn't automatically heal up between runs so the only option to keep playing to practise ends up being offline, which is a complete waste of time in terms of being able to recover from all your losses.

You do heal up, it's just takes time. But yeah Tarkov can be dismal.

The Darkness, after playing the second one and liking that, and hearing that the first one is the better game. The first one is actually damn near unplayable for me, the gunplay is so janky and doesn't feel very satisfying, it's also too barebones overall to really stand out.

• Upvote 1

I kind of want to say Death Stranding but I don't really regret it and I did a straight swap at CEX for Mortal Kombat 11. And I got about 15 hours out of it so there's that too.

Ironically after doing 3 matches or Mortal Kombat in story mode I'm wondering if this wasn't the trade I thought it was because even by "fighting game story mode" it's ffffffffffucking dismal. By god it's excruciating. Also, and I'm showing my prudishness/old man tendancies here, but the violence just seems... gratuitous. Which is why people buy Mortal Kombat I guess. It's like going swimming and complaining you got wet when you go in the water. I just found Injustice 2 more palatable, probably because I'm more invested in the source material and the story mode made more sense in the context of that material.

I don't think there's any game I've ever regretted buying because it was crap. There are probably a few I've regretted buying because they went on sale very soon afterwards (before I even got a chance to play them), like the Assassin's Creed Origins Gold digital version. I bought it because I had the standard disc and wanted the DLC. The Gold version of the whole game was reduced to £25 or something and all the DLC was £35. Then a couple of weeks later, before I started the DLC, the series pass or whatever it's called was down to £15.

I don't regret it much though as I still only paid £40 for the whole thing and got well over 120 hours of excellent neck stabbing out of it.

The Cuphead costume for Smash. I didn’t care for Mii Gunner before and I don’t care for Mii Gunner now. 70p thrown away. That’s gonna sting the next time I tell a beggar I’ve got no change on me.

28 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I kind of want to say Death Stranding-

I actually really digged Death Stranding, one of the best games I've ever played. 

It felt weird seeing all the people saying it sucked, I really thought it would be a hit.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Shrimp said:

I actually really digged Death Stranding, one of the best games I've ever played. 

It felt weird seeing all the people saying it sucked, I really thought it would be a hit.

It's pretty much straight down the middle. Some people made it goty, others loathed it. I'm a rare case of 'it was fine but I got bored after 15 hours'.

• Upvote 2

The only one of recent, and by recent I mean over a year ago was Strafe on the PS4. 

This is more for straight mechanical reasons than “its crap” because I don’t buy things I wouldn’t like - like football games - Strafe is basically uncontrollable on the pad. Who ever ported it from PC did not tune the game to be playable on a control pad at all. Married with the usual hitches seen with a Unity based game on console, it didn’t last long before being deleted as was a real waste of money. 

On that note, I was surprised that almost no reviews mentioned this. It’s prob fine on PC but really uncontrollable on PS4. No reviews mentioned it, apart from nearly every user review. 

...and by surprised I mean totally not surprised. 

Legend of Bumbo - big Ed McMillen fan and everything about this game seemed up my street - but it's just incredibly rough. My experience is that you could win most levels by exploiting any of the spells that move tiles; but it'll be a long boring grind and then you still could easily lose your run to some complicated, unexplained mechanic that you've not experienced before.

Bought the Castlevania collection on the Switch when it was on sale a few weeks back. Don’t know why, as Castlevania IV is the only one of them I like, and I have that already several times already (real Super Famicom cartridge, downloads on the 3DS and Wii U), I have no nostalgia for the Game Boy and NES ones, and the Mega Drive I own but don’t like at that much. Before that, I bought Sega Ages Virtua Racer, and while I appreciate it

and the restoration effort gone into it, due to the steep difficult curve I didn’t enjoy the game enough to justify the six quid entry fee.

21 hours ago, matt0 said:

I've got a PC-Engine mini on preorder. That's probably not getting played much.

I'm psyched for it. Even if not getting two pads is a jip. 

I bought an Xbox one all digital in the Black Friday sale as I had a lot of Xbox digital content. Barely touched it because the switch has had all my gaming time. 

30 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

I'm psyched for it. Even if not getting two pads is a jip. 

I bought an Xbox one all digital in the Black Friday sale as I had a lot of Xbox digital content. Barely touched it because the switch has had all my gaming time. 

It's as good a selection of games as you could hope for and (assuming it doesn't suffer from the same sound lag as the MD mini) I'm sure they'll all be done justice by the emulation. I just know from experience I'll probably spend a evening flicking between everything on it and then wind up playing 1 or 2 games on and off for about a month before it gets mothballed.

I do still fire up the NES mini every now and then for Balloon Fight though.

On 01/02/2020 at 22:19, JoeK said:

Because I’m assuming I’m not the only one who decides on a whim to buy stuff that is absolutely not a right fit for you.

For some unfathomable reason I bought Nier Automata yesterday. I had literally no desire to even contemplate playing the thing, but I kind of liked the artwork going on and it was only a tenner so I thought ‘what the hell’.

Absolutely not my type of thing at all.  Fucking hate it :( . I feel I’m missing out on something, but after a few hours tonight I gave up. Yet another game to add to the ‘grey’ area of the Steam library.

Ended up playing a bit of Mass Effect for the millionth time. 

I’m clearly happiest with familiarity.

Nier Automata needed a lot longer in the oven. The difficulty settings are all over the place and you can hold massive amounts of healing items. The combat balancing is really shit. I hated it as well.

Isn't it about 100 hours with all its endings? Stop making your game longer and make what there is of it good first.

• Upvote 1

Jedi Fallen order for me. On paper soulslike in Star Wars universe should have been a no brainer. 
Just couldn’t click with it attall and found it to be quite a cookie cutter experience. And as for the map and backtracking, I couldn’t be arsed and knew it would drive me crackers. 

• Empathy 1

Blasphemous (purchased very late in 2019). I've no longer the patience to deal with mechanics that should have stayed in the 90's. When it comes to platformers it's the dreaded knock back that leads to instant death because you're knocked down a hole we all know and remember from Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden.

Killed the first boss, made it to the snow level, uninstalled it.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Dave White said:

Jedi Fallen order for me. On paper soulslike in Star Wars universe should have been a no brainer. 
Just couldn’t click with it attall and found it to be quite a cookie cutter experience. And as for the map and backtracking, I couldn’t be arsed and knew it would drive me crackers. 

Yeah, Fallen Order would be mine as well. As a huge Star Wars fan, it should be right up my street. But the whole game is just so...bland. I finished it last week and I can guarantee you in a couple of months I won't be able to remember much about it. 

BD-1 was decent, though. 

• Empathy 1

1 hour ago, df0 said:

Blasphemous (purchased very late in 2019). I've no longer the patience to deal with mechanics that should have stayed in the 90's. When it comes to platformers it's the dreaded knock back that leads to instant death because you're knocked down a hole we all know and remember from Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden.

Killed the first boss, made it to the snow level, uninstalled it.

Yeah, I came very close to buying that then they put a demo out that thankfully disabused me of that notion. Just utterly charmless and completely misses the point of how you can make challenge fun.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1