rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

The Thing being Remade - Based on recently discovered novel version of the original story

A recently discovered novel length version of the original story has been snapped up by Universal and Blumhouse. The novel was discovered in 2018 and was funded to publication via Kickstarter under the title Frozen Hell. 

John Carpenter’s 1982 sci-fi horror The Thing is considered to be one of his greatest works and now after the discovery of a novel-length version of its source novella, Universal Pictures and Blumhouse Productions have begun development on a new adaptation of the material, according to Bloody Disgusting.

The original film, which was technically the second adaptation of John W. Campbell Jr.’s Who Goes There? after the 1951 The Thing From Another World, followed a group of American researchers in the Antarctic who discover a parasitic alien organism that assimilates and imitates other lifeforms. As it makes its way through the group, disguising itself as various members, paranoia sets in and those still human seek to find a way to kill it off before it finds a way to get to civilization.

In 2018, John Betancourt revealed he had found a full-length version of the source material and took to Kickstarter to fund the release of the novel, entitled Frozen Hell, and this week he revealed that not only has the project been fully funded, but that the original studio had acquired the rights to it and began development almost immediately on an adaptation.

“The movie will be from Universal and Blumhouse,” Betancourt said. “Everyone is super excited about it and it’s being fast-tracked.”

Producer Alan Donnes originally announced the news via a Facebook plost, in which he revealed he will be executive producing the new adaptation, which he calls “a remake” and that it will remain true to not only the original

The Carpenter version is perfect , there is no need for a new version (to be fair I was excited by the prequel when it was in development with the hype of practicle affects , but we all know how that turned out)

There is nothing this new version can bring that Carpenters version didn't do so well (the sense of isolation, the paranoia of who to trust and not to trust, and the practical special effects, the dreading realisation of a no win scenario)   

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, papalazarou said:

The Carpenter version is perfect , there is no need for a new version (to be fair I was excited by the prequel when it was in development with the hype of practicle affects , but we all know how that turned out)

There is nothing this new version can bring that Carpenters version didn't do so well (the sense of isolation, the paranoia of who to trust and not to trust, and the practical special effects, the dreading realisation of a no win scenario)   

And Kurt Russell on top form. I honestly can’t think of any actor around today with his charisma. In fact, all the cast were perfect.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

And Kurt Russell on top form. I honestly can’t think of any actor around today with his charisma. In fact, all the cast were perfect.

even mild form from Kurt is still better than most actors these days.  One of my favourite Actors and in some of my all time fav movies (The thing, Big Trouble in Little China, Backdraft, Tombstone, overboard....I'm kidding...well kinda lol) 

Does anyone know what this full length version of the book is about?

That's the only possible angle that could be worth making but that's giving it a load of benefit of the doubt. Carpenters the thing is bloody great and probably my favourite horror movie ever made so there's no need for this really and blumhouse just makes me think it will be full of crap jump scares rather than tense as fuck more paranoia based than wooo, scary alien. 

53 minutes ago, papalazarou said:

even mild form from Kurt is still better than most actors these days.  One of my favourite Actors and in some of my all time fav movies (The thing, Big Trouble in Little China, Backdraft, Tombstone, overboard....I'm kidding...well kinda lol) 

Overboard is fantastic!

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, b00dles said:

Does anyone know what this full length version of the book is about?

Same story just with an extra 45 pages that includes an introduction and preface. I can’t honestly see anything that could be in those 45 pages that would elevate things to such a degree to warrant a remake.

Edit: 25 pages - the preface and intro run 20 pages.

One 'Thing' I do recommend for fans is the novel 'The Thing Itself' by Adam Roberts. It's an account of the only survivor from the movies antarctic expedition, who, at the start is in a mental institution after reporting what happened out there, only to go on to a philosophical existential journey where he ultimately ends up a time travelling ghost. 

It's like a novelisation of the theories of Immanuel Kant and Stephen Hawking wrapped around a Sci Fi Thriller. And its fucking amazing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thing-Itself-Adam-Roberts/dp/0575127724

Ridiculous decision. Frozen Hell is a fun curiousity for fans of Who Goes There, but also an inferior first draft; adding little but unnecessary flab. There’s a reason Campbell left it unsubmitted in a box. 

7 hours ago, ZOK said:

Overboard is fantastic!

I have a soft spot for it too (Kurt & Goldie are great in it) but it's gotta be a contender for pole position in that 'Films That Are Awkward As Fuck Now' thread from last week.

Anyhow, seconding @Glasgowchivas post, it's about the only interesting/worthwhile way to do a remake now.

7 hours ago, Goose said:

Same story just with an extra 45 pages that includes an introduction and preface. I can’t honestly see anything that could be in those 45 pages that would elevate things to such a degree to warrant a remake.

Edit: 25 pages - the preface and intro run 20 pages.

So this whole thing is just a marketing ruse, they're basically remaking the thing but pretending otherwise. 

32 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Out of curiosity how does the original Thing from 1951 stack up? I'm intrigued to see it.

Not well. The creature is realised as a comical, lumbering Frankenstein’s monster kind of deal. It’s one of those few originals that genuinely deserved a remake to best realise the concept. 

It's worth a watch. The monster is certainly of the time. It's not intentionally comical though.  It has sci-fi screen legend Kenneth Tobey in it so worth watching just for that.

also the whole thing is also an allegory for Mccarthyism and the "fight" against Communism (the original that is). It is of its time and bit hokey but keep all that in mind and it is worthy of a watch.

13 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Out of curiosity how does the original Thing from 1951 stack up? I'm intrigued to see it.

Actor James Arness is the monster

On 28/01/2020 at 09:07, papalazarou said:

Overboard is an absolute stone cold classic, no reason at all for it not to be in such company. Russell has been in an insane amount of fantastic films imo. Used Cars, Tequilla Sunrise, Breakdown, Tango & Cash, even Stargate wouldn't be half the film without him.

He is a genuinely fantastic actor and he always comes across as a pretty decent human being to boot.

Always lament the fact that he wasn't able to do 'They Live'. Or at least I believe he wasn't able to.

The main reason why The Thing is one of the greatest movies, Carpenter one of the greatest directors and Kurt Russell one of the greatest actors is quite simple - together they have allowed the all-time greatest cinematic triumvirate of beard, sunglasses and cowboy hat to come into existence.

I do not believe any movie has bettered it before or since.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ZOK said:

The main reason why The Thing is one of the greatest movies, Cameron one of the greatest directors and Kurt Russell one of the greatest actors is quite simple - together they have allowed the all-time greatest cinematic triumvirate of beard, sunglasses and cowboy hat to come into existence.

Again, I'll say that Big Trouble is cinema at its absolute peak, but I'm more than happy to allow The Thing as a substitute :)

31 minutes ago, ZOK said:

The main reason why The Thing is one of the greatest movies, Cameron one of the greatest directors and Kurt Russell one of the greatest actors is quite simple - together they have allowed the all-time greatest cinematic triumvirate of beard, sunglasses and cowboy hat to come into existence.

Carpenter