A Quiet Place Part 2

FishyFish

Re Last of Us, as I posted in the Rate the Last Film You Saw thread, it even has a section where the protagonist has to go through a train rather than go around it. 

I really enjoyed this: whether it was because it was a good film or of I was just glad to be back watching something in the cinema, I'm not sure, but it worked surprisingly well for a sequel. Even though it relies strongly on July scares, I still lost half my popcorn on the 

Spoiler

train/birds bit. Which was probably the least 'jumpy' bit in the film. 

The daughter is a great actor. I'd love to see her in other stuff moving forwards. 

I think I probably would have enjoyed it more had i not watched it as part of a double bill. It’s a very different film in tone to the first one. It never really felt like there was as much jeopardy and there were some silly inconsistencies such as

Spoiler

Why not use the earpiece more? When they have one on the car, for example?

Or one minute they can fit into a really tight spot, the next one of them can’t get through the hatch in the industrial furnace they’re hiding in?

Also, (and I guess not much they can do about this) since it picks up immediately following the end of the last film, the boy has grown up a lot in the intervening 5 minutes. Like his voice has broken and he’s a teenager. 

I’ll watch the next one as I’m curious but there was no need for a sequel really. 

2 hours ago, Triple A said:

TBF she was looking for supplies

I’m mostly joking but it was also mainly done for… 

Spoiler

jump scare tension. Just like Last of Us!

But it did make me chuckle given how similar the aesthetic is to Last of Us. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was one of thinnest movies I've ever seen. Some nicely executed set-pieces but everything in between was a whole lot of nothing and it ended out of nowhere. There's blatantly going to be a third but I won't be watching. For all the craft behind it I've had my fill of these completely underdeveloped characters achieving practically nothing apart from somehow managing to make loads of noise every 10 minutes.

On 06/06/2021 at 22:12, mdn2 said:

I really enjoyed this: whether it was because it was a good film or of I was just glad to be back watching something in the cinema, I'm not sure, but it worked surprisingly well for a sequel.

Same. It's clearly made because the first one made a ton of money but it's well-made. The POV shot in the car with the bus coming at her was superb.

Also, this was my first cinema visit in a year and damn, I forgot how epic cinema sound can be.

Enjoyed this. It’s got some lovely settings and scenes. A few too many jump scares for my liking but managed to get through it.

The only annoyance to me was one of the three parallel explorations…

Spoiler

Why the fuck is the dumbass boy out wandering around the factory. Yes I get it, there’s things to see but you’ve been in this world for 400+ days and the moment you get the chance you try to get yourself killed.

Seemed just an annoyingly stupid way to get a monster with them for the radio finale. Just a bit too contrived.

Oh and maybe…

Spoiler

The wackos living on the docks never noticed the light from fires on the island and went to rob/murder/pillage the camp?

Re: The Boy

Spoiler

That bit honestly felt like they,d run out of plot and went shit our film is only an hour and 10 mins. Then a table full of writers went eh I dunno the boy goes exploring anyone wanna order Chinese, in the manner of the naming Poochie scene in The Simpsons.

Enjoyed this more than the first even if it wasn't as tense. I preferred that this had that TLOU aesthetic to it and it being out in the wild, them trying to survive after all else seems lost, rather than just hanging around staying quiet on a farm. There was more hardship but also urgency which I liked.

I was never a massive fan of the dad dying in the first, but actually after seeing this it really helped with this story, pushed the narrative along and was massive for character development in the kids (however it still didn't stop the boy from doing typical horror trope stuff and being an idiot at a time he shouldn't)

I thought the opening Day 1 stuff was excellent and after that I liked how it picked up straight from where the first ended. We were straight into the aftermath and got to see how they handled things from the off. A much better idea than having it set several weeks later.

I liked Cillian Murphys addition to the cast. He did a good job in the role and it didn't just feel like a cut and paste job of Krasinski's character to fill a void. Probably could have had a bit more development though. 

I do think I preferred the less is more with the creatures in the first, but I guess once the rabbit's out the hat, you cant just hide them away again.

Overall, I still struggle to see passed some of the logistics with the whole sound thing but I was able to suspend that more with this than the first. Maybe it's just because I preferred the story and plot to this one though.

3/5, but a decent film.

I enjoyed this, it’s extremely tense and taught and experiential. But as with the first they could have made the exact same film and avoided the myriad plotholes with some minor changes. 

Spoiler

Massive meteors hit earth and cause no damage, dust or shockwave but then seconds later there are aliens running around.

Apparently there are small enough numbers of aliens to allow printing presses etc to go on for some time, but enough of them to decimate the army/navy/national guard and millions of gun toting rednecks in a couple of days. If there are only a small number, why haven’t the tanks rolled in yet? Why hasn’t the area been nuked? What’s the scale of global devastation?

The girl leaves on a harebrained adventure because the island people left a cryptic broadcast (why?) to get people to come to their island (why?) but none of the crazies living a short distance away ON BOATS ever thought to go and have a look. The Mum at no point shows any interest or even acknowledgement that one of her children has gone missing. It’s literally never mentioned by her or between her and another character. They don’t say goodbye, she doesn’t wake up to find she’s gone, she doesn’t mention it to the boy, nothing. It’s weird. 

Once the girl got the noise playing through the radio how was she going to tell anyone which channel to tune to and what the noise did, apart from her family who already knew anyway? Surely it’s just another screechy noise in a sea of radio static. Wouldn’t it make much more sense to broadcast a message telling people to come to the island? Which they were already doing to begin with, in code for some reason, because they only want people who can solve rudimentary puzzles to join them. 

Djimon Hounsou appears for about 2 minutes, drives them to the station  instead of simply killing the creature with the speakers in the house they’re already in, and then immediately dies, so his kid is probably locked in a cupboard forever.

That stupid bloody boy who is scared to swing a baseball bat at a ball decides to go wandering around in certain-death-land for no reason and then gets scared of a dead body even though he’s seen loads of them around. Not to mention lots of aliens too. 

The oxygen in the furnace lasts about 20 seconds, when it would clearly sustain a human or two for much longer. 

They start having a normal volume conversation outside the furnace because “they have to be right on top of us to hear us”, yet the aliens are constantly lurking just out of shot for the whole film so presumably they are in fact right on top of them.

The aliens run full pelt at every character in the movie except the main characters, who they sneak up on/around like velociraptors. 

Put some shoes on, idiots. Is there some tortured Christianity metaphor in the no-shoes thing?

There are loads more. And they’re all easily fixed without needing to overexplain anything. It’s frustrating because the film leans so hard into the rules of the setup but constantly cheats or takes shortcuts to maximise drama which only make it harder to suspend disbelief.

I love the show-don’t-tell method and when stories only show glimpses of the wider picture and ask you to fill in the blanks. Love it. But this is obviously written from the inside out rather than having any logically consistent worldbuilding to draw from. 

I really liked the barely hidden Jurassic Park influence throughout. Cillian Murphy was good. 

7 hours ago, Moz said:

I enjoyed this, it’s extremely tense and taught and experiential. But as with the first they could have made the exact same film and avoided the myriad plotholes with some minor changes. 

Hide contents

The girl leaves on a harebrained adventure because the island people left a cryptic broadcast (why?) to get people to come to their island (why?) but none of the crazies living a short distance away ON BOATS ever thought to go and have a look. The Mum at no point shows any interest or even acknowledgement that one of her children has gone missing. It’s literally never mentioned by her or between her and another character. They don’t say goodbye, she doesn’t wake up to find she’s gone, she doesn’t mention it to the boy, nothing. It’s weird. 

Spoiler

I think you clearly missed something here. The boy wakes up to find the note and the next thing we see is her begging Cillian to go after her.

Watched it last night. Really enjoyed it. 

Best takeaway from it is that John Krasinski is a brilliant director. Really brilliant. 

Plot question. 

Spoiler

So Cillians character was keeping his wife locked up? He couldn't let go of her despite her illness? 

3 hours ago, Ry said:

Watched it last night. Really enjoyed it. 

Best takeaway from it is that John Krasinski is a brilliant director. Really brilliant. 

Plot question. 

Reveal hidden contents

So Cillians character was keeping his wife locked up? He couldn't let go of her despite her illness? 

No I think 

Spoiler

he's just left the body where she'd died. I guess in this world you can't go around making noise digging holes.

Oof, can't believe someone as invested in puns as myself missed that one 😑

As for the film itself it's full of plotholes, starts well but then is garbage until the three stories converge and dearly needs some more lore added. That said, it operates really well on a gut level, and the performers and performances are fantastic. 

14 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Hide contents

I think you clearly missed something here. The boy wakes up to find the note and the next thing we see is her begging Cillian to go after her.

You’re completely right, maybe I did a realllllly long blink or something!

5 hours ago, Treble said:

Oof, can't believe someone as invested in puns as myself missed that one 😑

As for the film itself it's full of plotholes, starts well but then is garbage until the three stories converge and dearly needs some more lore added. That said, it operates really well on a gut level, and the performers and performances are fantastic. 

The whole concept is a massive plothole really. These creatures are so attuned to sound but birds don't seem to draw them. The levels of noise on what does and doesn't draw them near is up and down all the time too.

They also attacked without warning but the papers still managed to run super loud printing presses and distribute them around the country :lol:

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, cassidy said:

My biggest issue with the entire premise is. 

If super hearing aliens landed surely they would hear our increased terrified heart rates? 

Am I wrong? 

Well they didn't hear the newspaper printing presses and the trucks that delivered them around the country in the first so I think raised heartbeats are safe.

God this annoyed me immensely. Feel like if you introduce an ability or weapon or whatever that allows you to stop the monsters in their tracks, or at least cause them to freak out a bit and reveal their weak spot, you should really justify why it’s not whipped out and used on one of those monsters. 

Spoiler

Especially when that monster is zooming about killing all the new people you just met.