How many of your 2019 top 10 have you paid for directly?

Your 2019 Top 10  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I bought bits of EPs and albums from iTunes (only the standout tracks) - I tend to stream the albums I'm interested in and then go back and buy the songs I enjoy. :)  In terms of physical discs, I bought No Geography by The Chemical Brothers on CD and a few things that never made my top 10 (Greg Hates Car Culture, Surrender 20th Anniversary, All Night Chroma, etc)...

Great idea for a thread, based on my list:

Pye Corner Audio - Hollow Earth - Bought vinyl

Heat Death - Dalham - Bought vinyl

Chali 2na & Krafty Kuts - Adventure of a Reluctant Superhero - Bought vinyl

GLOK - Dissident - Bought vinyl

Telefon Tel Aviv - Dreams are not Enough - Bought vinyl

65daysofstatic - replicr, 2019 - Bought vinyl

Bat For Lashes - Lost Girls - Bought vinyl

Ladytron - Ladytron - Spotify

UNKLE - The Road Part II - Spotify

The Chemical Brothers - No Geography - Spotify

Thom Yorke - ANIMA - Bought vinyl

Plaid - Polymer - Spotify

Tycho - Weather - Bought vinyl

Biochip - Synthase - Spotify

Pretty much all of the vinyl listed came with a download code which I also used, if they didn't I used spotify to listen to them on the bike & in the car.

I bought a lot of stuff this year from Bandcamp, I've got lots of 12"s that aren't listed here.

They came with downloads in both mp3 and FLAC. I got both, FLAC for my media server and mp3 for the phone.

I also got loads of 12"s from bleep & Juno but most of those didn't come with download codes - it is a pain as a lot aren't on spotify, in the old days I'd have recorded them to cassette or minidisc for when I'm out of the house.

On the whole, my main sources for music are (in some sort of order):

Physical Purchase:

Bandcamp

Piccadilly Records

Juno

Bleep

Norman Records

Coldcuts Hotwax

Amazon

Streaming:

Spotify

Soma.FM (internet radio)

FKA Twigs - MAGDALENE (bought vinyl)

Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising (bought vinyl)

clipping. - There Existed an Addiction to Blood (would've bought but the vinyl is missing several tracks)

JPEGMAFIA - All My Heroes Are Cornballs (would've bought but the vinyl has only had a limited direct release so far)

Rrose - Hymn to Moisture (bought vinyl)

Angel Olsen - All Mirrors (bought vinyl)

Freddie Gibbs & Madlib – Bandana (bought vinyl)

Big Thief - U.F.O.F (bought vinyl)

Tyler, the Creator - Igor (vinyl was released months later and I've been slack about buying it, but I will)

Caterina Barbieri - Ecstatic Computation (bought vinyl)

None of it, but that is something of a coincidence - I have bought other music on vinyl and also digitally from Bandcamp, Boomkat and various other outlets this year.

I pay for Spotify premium but as someone who has put out music on the platform, it really pays a pittance - 100,000 plays translates to less than £400. If you can buy a record, that is great; if you can go to a show, that is better; if you can buy the record and also ideally a tshirt or 3 from the band directly at the show, that is best!

• 2 weeks later...

All of them and I've got the CD's to prove it! Although funnily enough, this is the first year that my top choice was bought digitally. I doubt I'll ever stop buying CD's, although I've ended up with a subscription to Google Music with my YouTube sub. It's convenient and it's fun for discovering new music based on groups you currently listen to, but if I find anything I like, I still buy the CD / digital copy. I just don't feel like I own it otherwise.

I think a lot of my list ended up being fairly established artists on larger labels so didn’t feel compelled to invest in the physical copies of that many if they were already on Spotify. I tend to buy things that don’t get a digital release or are on tiny labels as I think I end up with a more interesting record collection that way, and the money is probably needed more there than in Universal’s coffers.

Buying vinyl is definitely my biggest pocket money outlay and I’m running out of space in the house now, so I’m trying to cherry pick a bit more. In the past when I’ve bought something like a Daft Punk album it’s just sat on the shelf after one listen. Those massive releases just lose their value as a physical object after time and I probably just bought them to say I have it or because I’m a bit of a completist for certain artists. They’re probably the records I own that bring me the least joy as I don’t feel lucky to own it. 

Still, there’s at least two or three from my top ten I should invest in. 

I bought all my music on vinyl, like I do every year. Some CD's for stuff not released on vinyl. I also have spotify premium for some streaming convenience but don't use it much.

On a side note, this thread made me feel really out of touch. Of all the artists mentioned in this thread I've only heard of Thom Yorke and the Chemical Brothers :lol:.

9 out of the 10 I've bought on CD. The one I haven't purchased is the Replacements one as it's a great big box set that I don't have space for. I'd love a single CD of it though if that ever comes out.