rllmuk
RJ Badman

Your Unpopular Opinions

On 27/11/2019 at 00:36, phresh said:

Sleeping Dogs is better than any GTA

Yes! I thought I was the only one. I always assumed that the GTA genre simply wasn't for me, until I played Sleeping Dogs. Turns out that a GTA game in an interesting and atmospheric setting, with a decent story, and last but not least good controls for the main character alongside good combat, is all I need to have a good time with a GTA-like.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, grindmouse said:

I guess Souls games are not for me  - if you enjoy them good for you - but it blows my mind how popular they are in the wider gaming community and I don’t think their success is as simple as “they’re the best games” because from what I’ve seen and played I would strongly disagree. I’ve tried to play 3x of them and I find them boring, frustrating, full of jank, which is regarded as endearing or part of the challenge, but other games would get crucified for. 

There’s supposedly a rush or sense of achievement from finally beating a particularly punishing boss (and the bosses are usually: giant enemy with unreasonable range, and an unforgiving attack pattern the player must trial and error to learn) - but I get no pleasure from beating them, just an unresolved bubbling rage at how frustrating the whole experience is.

No tutorials: they make a big deal out of not hand-holding but they put world-breaking scrawls or splodges around the game world that pop-up short text instructions. Nintendo would roll in it’s grave.

I read a game design book by Maximo creators at Capcom and the Souls games defy all advice about what leads to a  good player experience.

When you say you don’t like a Souls game two things happen: Fans either get angry, or encourage you to keep playing. Here’s the thing though, I get it and I get why people like it. If I was a student with nothing in my schedule maybe it’d be a fun communal challenge, but as someone with limited gametime I’m too old for this shit. Here is the crux: Take Undead Burg in DS - I get the combat, the combat’s not difficult: be patient, shield projectiles, take them on one at a time, dodge and attack when they’re exposed. I can do it, but at some point the game will kill me - either by jank or otherwise unforeseen enemy or event - and I will need to traverse this area and defeat these enemies again and if I rush I will likely get caught out and die, so the slow methodical fighting again... it’s boring. It’s frustrating. And it’s boring. I don’t care if eventually I pop out of a locked door next to my grandma’s house. Wowee.

FROM didn’t do anything new with their Souls games, it’s standard hack and slash stuff, but with hardcore difficulty being the default and only option - it’s gamers who lost their minds and decided stuff that would’ve got a 4/10 in 1997, was suddenly the greatest thing ever in 2011.

Oh, and put in an easy mode so some of us can at least walk around and soak in the design work before trading it in. Or do what the true GOAT Resi 4 did and have dynamic scaleable difficulty - Castlevania games can start out punishing but the player gets more powerful by simply playing.

womanyellingcat-1573233850.jpg?resize=48

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Take Undead Burg in DS - I get the combat, the combat’s not difficult: be patient, shield projectiles, take them on one at a time, dodge and attack when they’re exposed. I can do it, but at some point the game will kill me - either by jank or otherwise unforeseen enemy or event - and I will need to traverse this area and defeat these enemies again and if I rush I will likely get caught out and die, so the slow methodical fighting again... it’s boring. It’s frustrating. And it’s boring. I don’t care if eventually I pop out of a locked door next to my grandma’s house. Wowee.

This is pretty much me too. Long stretches of doing the thing you know inside out to get to five seconds of incorrectly guessing a move performed by the boss you've just discovered. Clever shortcut implementation helps - BB has some of the best examples - but it kind of put me off going back to DS1...

Once you truly know the thing inside out though (or even before, really) you can just sprint to the boss in like 30 seconds or whatever. And you generally should, just to eliminate the chance of wasting your healing items by fighting everything on the way.

But this debate's been done to death and it seems rare that anyone comes out of it thinking any different.

Not so much an unpopular opinion as an “I think you misunderstand” but whenever people pointed at Nier Automata and called it a worse character action game than, say, Bayonetta... I’d agree but tell them Bayonetta is a worse RPG than Nier Automata. ;) I think if more people had the context of Nier 2010, the newer game would make a lot more sense...

10 minutes ago, Benny said:

Souls games are not difficult. People just like to say they are to make them seem more exclusive.

While I agree that some Souls fans do like to play up the games' difficulty, suggesting that they're "not difficult", certainly when compared with your average third-person action-adventure game, is wrong. They get easier the more that you play them, but the difficulty of the first game, in particular, was a big part of what made it so refreshing, and brilliant. 

The Irishman is comfortably game of the year. You press play at the beginning so it requires a degree of execution, but then it's all world building, characterisation and story, unbound by the shackles of gameplay. It's the future of videogames.

As for Dark Souls, they're just not for me is all I'm saying. It's just my opinion. I mean, some people like good games and some people have lost their minds and like 4/10 games that they claim are the best thing ever. It's not my cup of tea but you enjoy your cup of rancid piss, different strokes and all that you deviants you make me sick. Don't neg me, we can agree to disagree you cretins.

• Upvote 3