rllmuk
RJ Badman

Your Unpopular Opinions

The Sega Dreamcast wouldn't be half as revered today if it wasn't Sega's last (completely original and new) console*. It's not admiration of a stellar software library (the DC was as much a victim of third-rate filler as anything else) - it's blind love for a company's last gamble in the gaming hardware market. I mean, I'm enjoying revisiting the old games and discovering new ones through Redream, so I'm not criticising for the sake of it... but if there was an alternate history where someone other than Sega released a console built to the Dreamcast's specifications in 1998, there would be much less conversation about it now.

*inb4 Mega Drive Mini

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

AC2 will always be my fav and that along with its trilogy is favoured by many, however over time I think I’ve come to realising that I preferred my time with AC III over IV (Black Flag). I did initially really like IV for about 20 hours then just got fed up of being on the sea. It also felt like a combination of things from AC 3 and Liberty with its own things where as 3 was a massive departure from 2 and the others in that trilogy. 

I also loved the old Desmond thing going on too which again everyone doesn’t give a toss about, but that’s because I followed what was going on since the beginning. After 3, the way you play a faceless character after his death in that shitty office made it feature the worst “outside of the animus” sections. I even preferred revelations inside a hard drive with rectangles all over to it. This is relative to everything that came befor IV as I haven’t played beyond IV yet. 

I also loved the whole developing a village with people who’s stories you interact with as the population increases in AC3 and while getting bored at times, just grew to like it. I did miss the tall buildings of Rome and the like but then even ACIV didn’t have them really either. 

• Upvote 3

People forgave Sony for the PSN hacks far too easily.

Or, more importantly, people forgot how badly Sony treated their customers after it happened.

• Upvote 4

Goldeneye was crap.

(This may have been due to my discovery of PC gaming beforehand though with the likes of  Quake)

Edited by iknowgungfu
Although GoldenGun MP was quite fun
  • Upvote 2

Crazy Taxi 2 was just as good as the first one. As CT2 was designed for the home not the arcade, its two Apple cities were more interesting for long-term replay value than CT1's loop-like Arcade city. And the jump was a fine addition; don't know why everyone thought it was too silly!

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

4 hours ago, Qazimod said:

It's not admiration of a stellar software library (the DC was as much a victim of third-rate filler as anything else)

I still think that the most remarkable thing about the console, that still hasn't been surpassed, was how good its software library became within such a short time.

Take its lifespan as November 1998 (Japanese launch) to March 2002 (European release of PSO v2): that's just under 3.5 years. Several subsequent consoles ultimately achieved better game catalogues (certainly in terms of games that still stand up as worth playing today). But no other console since then has released as many format-exclusive games that strongly interested me within 3.5 years of launch.

(And outside Japan, it seemed like an even greater feat: largely the same set of games, but compressed into a window of only 2.5 years!)

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, Nein said:

People forgave Sony for the PSN hacks far too easily.

Or, more importantly, people forgot how badly Sony treated their customers after it happened.

So what should people have done and what would be better?

2 hours ago, Thor said:

The Dishonoured games are pants. 

Quick, hide this from @Mr Do 71!

And, as @Shimmyhill suggests (who is, as ever, horribly wrong when it comes to The Last of Us, which is an exemplary game), I'm sure we did this the other day.

My unpopular opinons:

The 3D Mario games are much more fun than the 2D ones.

Storytelling and writing in games is, almost universally, crap, and anyone who says they enjoy playing games 'for the story' would be far better off reading a good book or watching a good TV series.

Retro gaming is rubbish; modern games are better.

Games (with, perhaps, a handful of exceptions) are not art and in fact have more in common with sports.

• Upvote 6

This might be more of a lukewarm take but bear with me: the framing of Persona stories in an academic year in Japan is one of the least important aspects of the series. This is going to come across as defending weeby trash but I always make the comparison between two hypothetical Persona clones - one has the same gameplay (the calendar activities, the social links, the dungeon crawling) under a new premise (say, living the adult life of Vincent Brookes); the other has the same high school life but there’s no calendar or social links, there are no elemental weakness systems, there are random battles, etc. I’d be way more interested in the first hypothetical game.

In a way, examples of the latter hypothetical game already exist - look at any of the PS1 Personas, or P3: The Answer. Admittedly I came around and enjoyed those PS1 games, but not quite as much as the newer ones with their more engaging gameplay. And how many people on this forum were disappointed with Scramble’s reveal as a Musuo? Having played through the six core games I understand that it’s something the mainline series has to have, but wouldn’t it be cool if P-Studio revealed a brand new thing that learned from the format of these games?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Games (with, perhaps, a handful of exceptions) are not art and in fact have more in common with sports.

Strange thing to say about a medium that relies so heavily on creativity and imagination, alternate worlds, audiovisual design and all kinds of self-expression through fantasy characters.

Maybe it's more like the meeting point of art and sport. Spart, if you will. And we're not so much players as spartans.

• Upvote 2

The first Yakuza game you play is likely to be your favourite as you haven't gotten bored of running around Kamurocho again to ever dimishing returns.

Yakuza Zero is a 10/10 to me but both Kiwamis and 6 have all been huge dissapointments by comparison. 

Hideo Kojima hasn't made a good game since the original Metal Gear Solid, as you can't fit much pretentious and downright stupid bullshit on just 2 700mb discs :lol:

He finally gets the balance right in MGSV, then doesn't even include a proper ending FFS. The guy is a timewasting pompous ass 

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Storytelling and writing in games is, almost universally, crap, and anyone who says they enjoy playing games 'for the story' would be far better off reading a good book or watching a good TV series.

Hah! Yes, in general it’s trash. Some have great dialogue, but none have a story I really care about. The gameplay is all that matters.

Which brings me on to Red Dead Redemption 2. It’s dreadful. Unfathomably awful controls, and it’s slow, slow, slow. ‘But it‘s realistic!’, people say. No it’s bloody not, I’m pressing A to jump and RT to shoot. It’s a game. Don’t punish me with shitty character movement for the sake of some false sense of realism that you’ll never achieve. Make it fun, pls.

• Upvote 5