Resident Evil 3 remake (no spoilers please!)

1 hour ago, robdood said:

Ah that's a shame.  Seems like Resi 2 remake they're not able to spend the resources on replayability, bah. 

I wonder what's next in this reboot series though?  I'd love a version of Resi 1 that looked and felt like this. 

I want to say Resi 4 too but I have a feeling there's no way that could live up to the hype.  It was a pretty perfect survival/action game to begin with. 

I watched the original games alternative endings and they really are not that different from each other. Just seemed to be a different character picking you up by the helicopter at the end of the game each time. I'd rather they add extra stuff into the game rather than waste time on similar endings.

regarding the nemesis, i was reading a preview from maybe gamesradar - they said Nemesis is a bit of a pain in this because he is so random. He will grapple you with his tentacles and cause damage even if you are no where near him and this can cause issues in cramped areas of the game. Still, i remain optimistic they got him right for this!!

19 hours ago, Fox said:

I'd say if BioShock was too much for you then RE2 will be. The original is one of my favourite games ever, and the remake is, in my opinion, neeeearly as good, but I found Mr X to be a bit oppressive at times. Like, I'd describe it as more chest-tightening than bum-clenching. 

Actually, I just re-read your post. And you already described it better. It's more frantic tension.

It's more being busting for a wee while being stuck on a bus, than being on a bus and Jason Voorhees gets on and rips the face off the driver and throws it at you. 

Yeah but then saying that, I found The Last of Us sewer sections Bioshock-esque but I absolutely loved that game. I think it was because there were genuine extended periods of respite from it all though. Not just a safe room occasionally with a shitty plant and fluffy music. I have absolutely zero chance to play games in the day which makes it worse. Only time I can play them is late at night when I'm on my own :mellow:

14 hours ago, robdood said:

Ah that's a shame.  Seems like Resi 2 remake they're not able to spend the resources on replayability, bah. 

I wonder what's next in this reboot series though?  I'd love a version of Resi 1 that looked and felt like this. 

I want to say Resi 4 too but I have a feeling there's no way that could live up to the hype.  It was a pretty perfect survival/action game to begin with. 

Resdident Evil 3, I mean Code Veronica next please.

16 hours ago, robdood said:

Honestly, I just completed what must be my 5th run through of that game yesterday and it holds up so well it's absurd. It truly is a master class in single player action. I've rolled straight into 5 and then... errr.... 6 I guess, maybe!

Looking forward to trying these remasters out after that though!

I've recently played through the Resi and Resi 2 remakes, and while they're great, don't hold a candle to the PS1 versions for me. Probably due to nostalgia, but I feel that they've got an atmosphere all their own.

I inexplicably didn't touch Resi 3 until a few years ago, so it'll be interesting to compare that with this, to see how they stack up in a more objective fashion.

Also, I've got a feeling that I'll be going balls deep into the multiplayer. I rarely do multiplayer.

The multiplayer is by far the best thing about Resi’s 5 and 6 (particularly 5) and Mercenaries is also one of the best things about Resi 4 that keeps you going for months. Likewise, the multiplayer in Revelations II is so good it’s somehow made that game my most played of this generation. :blink:

So while I loved the Resi 2 remake, it’s lack of multiplayer modes means I’ve never been back to it. Really looking forward to 3, I actually enjoyed it more than 2 back in the day.

Playing Resident Evil 2 at the moment. And Mr. X is really annoying me. I really don't get why they didn't make him optional, at least for the first playthrough. Not really looking forward to an entire game based on this mechanic. 

18 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Playing Resident Evil 2 at the moment. And Mr. X is really annoying me. I really don't get why they didn't make him optional, at least for the first playthrough. Not really looking forward to an entire game based on this mechanic. 

Its a while ago but I seem to remember just shooting him till he goes away/ falls to his knees. But its a lifetime ago :3

On 26/02/2020 at 22:15, JoeK said:

Said it before and I'll say it again - The RE:Engine is absolutely fantastic. Really Capcom to license it out and see what else it can do now.

Absolutely. Just had a go at RE2 REmake for the first time, and it's very impressive to say the least. 

I can only hope they do the wholes series again in that engine. Or at least Code Veronica.

9 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Absolutely. Just had a go at RE2 REmake for the first time, and it's very impressive to say the least. 

I can only hope they do the wholes series again in that engine. Or at least Code Veronica.

Absolutely.  I hope they do Resident Evil 1 ReRemake.

9 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

In a demo mood after FF7. Any idea when the RE3 demo is out?

I think it's out over the Friday the 13th weekend. A person on resetera who posts a lot of RE insider stuff said something like [it's out on] "the most resident evil appropriate weekend in March".

@Sarlaccfood

Bah! The demo’s not out for another two and a half weeks, to coincide with the 24th anniversary of the series. 

There’s a gameplay stream tonight at 7pm GMT, the same section from the recent gameplay reveal but in more detail. There was a shorter presentation of the censored Japan version earlier today on Capcom TV.

I never played this on the PS1. Is it more action-orientated and linear than 1 and 2 or is it the same sort of Meteoidvania (ish) gameplay, exploring the same larger location, doing puzzles, getting keys, fiddling about with statues, that sort of thing?

On 07/03/2020 at 08:43, Jamie John said:

I never played this on the PS1. Is it more action-orientated and linear than 1 and 2 or is it the same sort of Meteoidvania (ish) gameplay, exploring the same larger location, doing puzzles, getting keys, fiddling about with statues, that sort of thing?

The original was more shooty than 2. In fact every Resi became more shooty until they reset the clock in 7.

I visited Capcom’s Resi stall at TGS back in 2002 and it was full of replica guns, along with the figures and cosplay stuff. Seemed pretty clear they were aiming for full-on gun fetish even back then. 

1 hour ago, Gizamaluke said:

I so hope this is correct...

Sadly not. Apparently it's going to be out next weekend to coincide with the 24th anniversary of the series.

I'm so super hyped for this!

Resi 2 was an absolutely phenomenal remake and this looks to be even better. Seriously, if Capcom forge ahead and give us Code Veronica and (gasp) Resi 4 in this engine I think I might explode! I've said it a bit further back but I would LOVE a "remake-remake" of the best game of all time - Resi 1. Just thinking about those bloody hairy spiders rendered in super real-o-vision gives me chills... :wub:

I'm all over this demo - bring on Thursday! :)