rllmuk
Soulstar

Retro Game Club - November 19’ : Resident Evil Zero

Technically that would have been left in the list as they get added one more time but if you wanna remove it this time I’ll not include it and instead use your current choice. 

Had a quick go on RE last night but didn’t get long as it was late.

Got to the centipede boss and have replayed it numerous times trying to take it down with the knife in order to conserve ammo.

seems to do this thing where it raises the front of its body high in the air and I’ve found that’s the best time to try and strike. Haven’t yet managed it though apart from the first time with guns only and then proceeded to restart again.

Can you spoiler a bit more of this sort of thing please ^^. it probably would have been more effective spoilering the first bit and leave the spoilered bit in plain sight.

Gonna add the poll shortly so anyone who wants to add a game to the list who hasn’t, noes the last chance. As mentioned earlier, the poll this time will increase in the number of options following a conversation previously. So I’ll double it from 3 to 6. Still chosen at random. 

• Upvote 1

November Choices

Fatal Labyrinth 

Loom

Star Wars 

Adams Family Values

Splatter house

Super Castlevania 4

December Choices

Shaolin’s Road (missing last month)

SpinDizzy - Quazimod

The Ninja Warriors - Alexlotl

Kororinpa - Camel

Shadow Dancer - Ulala

Toejam & Earl - DeDeDe

Story of Thor/Beyond Oasis - Soulstar

So with the new entries and increased poll size, there should be closer to a good 50% chance of an entry appearing. Time to see what the picker chooses. 

Playing Splatter House at Christmas is all kinds of wrong :lol:

Lots of good games there I'd be happy to revisit - a lot of things I've dabbled in but never put concerted time into.

@Alexlotl

Fortunately it's not actually in the poll so no chance of that :)

I've created a separate thread for anything to do with the poll so this one can return back to Resident Evil Zero rather than become hijacked. I'll be playing some more later today. 

Spent a bit more time with RE yesterday. 

made it up to where Rebecca is dangling in that basement and the bloody infected monkeys are on your case. I couldn’t believe how much they don’t give you any breathing space to even shoot. I walked into the room with three of them in and had full health. I only ever managed to fire the shotgun once as they repeatedly attack you from the second you enter the room. 

Tried to take down the centipede earlier with just the knife but it takes far too long and Rebecca just seems to die. I just combined it with a few knife stabs and bullets.

So where did you get up to then in the end? I know you said you were still in the mansion but it's quite a long section. As for me, I had another few hours on it last evening and whilst I'm still in the mansion itself, I've finished doing the bit

where you save rebecca from falling down the hole

and have just recently picked up the water key. I was very surprised to have managed to sus out that puzzle with the animal statues. It was one of those, "oh no this is going to take forever" moments as it felt quite obscure. I had a very loose idea of what it could be and lo and behold, it worked. It did however make me realise how extremely vague the clues are though. It's essentially a pick a specific sequence based around a set of sentences that need to follow in an order. Obviously there's no stopping someone looking up the solution, but I could see people getting stuck here quite easily. 

So I've just used the water key for the first time and straight away seen

That bastard enemy that I don't know how to kill that splits into body parts on the other side

so ran away quite quickly. It seems to be quite generous so far with the number of save ribbons as I've got quite a few left to use. 

I did get panicky when entering that cage bit

Cage as in the bit were you push a red button and it releases two hunters in an enclosed area and tells you combat training has started. Lucky I killed them both but lost loads of health during the process, but then had spent a fair while running about before this section so didn't want to have to repeat it all again. Either way I've kept my progress as is

There must be a magnum near by because I've found bullets for one recently too. 

Late to the party, but

My god this was a strange experience.  i'd played this on the Gamecube back in the day and I remembered the opening being typical RE until the train started to move. It was a surprise and it blew me away.  Then I got to the training facility and I don't remember going further than that.

I don't have a lot of spare time at the moment so I used a walkthrough to stop the backtracking and got through into the training facility. I used the crank on the lift, defeated the boss to get the flame key and then got completely sick of it and turned it off.

• The bloody ink ribbons.  Why did they ever think it was a good idea to make you need to pick an item up in your inventory at the very moment you're obviously wanting to stop playing?  I know this game lets you drop items anywhere but I was being clever by dropping the ink ribbons near a typewriter, and then realising I'd have to go all the way back to that one specifically to save.  I mean, there's no excuse for that kind of game design. You get few enough inventory spaces as it is.
  • The inventory spaces!  Six slots, and a grenade launcher that takes 2 of them on its own? This is madness. I was juggling inventory and struggling for space and I was using a walkthrough! Imagine playing this blind, not being able to pick up an item and just keep it on you.
  • The ammo!  There's fuck all of it.  Again, the walkthrough tells you to avoid shooting most of the enemies because you'll need all the ammo for the bosses.  Who's idea was that?
  • The use of two characters!  Press the button to make the bloke stand still and you wander off and he does nothing.  Or get them both in the same room, switch to Claire, get her to stand on the lift, switch to him, get him to stand at the lift controls, realise Claire is holding the crank, try and get Claire to give bloke the crank, Bloke has no inventory space, drop an item you know you will need at some point, finally get the crank passed over, get Claire to go up in the lift ONLY TO HAVE HER WALK AROUND A DIFFERENT AREA TO OPEN A DOOR TO LET BLOKE COME THROUGH. AAAARGH!!!! This is SHIT!
  • The buttons!  Is it just me, playing on PS4, I keep switching characters when I want to bring the menu up, I played for about 90 minutes and could not get the button layout in my head at all.  Map = L2.  Shoot - R1.  Squeezy trigger = tell other character to wait.  Did my head in.
  • The aiming!  It's a crow so point up and shoot.  The auto aim will kill it, oh hang on wait, it's eating my head already.

I think it's a combination of this being not so great a Resi title, and how games have dated, and how gameplay has improved, but Resident Evil Zero is a really poor experience.  Like, Resident Evil 1 was a great PS1 game, and made a great Re:Make for the Gamecube, but this one tries to push things forward and ends up being a really slow, boring, frustrating, difficult and un-enjoyable experience.

I pretty much agree with you dumpster on all the points there but I am still managing to enjoy it despite it having some annoying traits. The inventory management and dropping/picking up items everywhere is so annoying. Regardless I'm persevering as I've wanted to play this for years and see it through. 

As for my progress, I've finally reached the end of the mansion and into new territory. There was another boss recently and it was a pain in the fucking arse (read spoiler to find out more)

You end up fighting a giant bat in a church which picks you up and throws you down. Fighting it initially isn't too bad, however it spawns shit loads of tiny bats which attack you and cause major problems when trying to attack the main boss as you end up shooting the small ones and wasting ammo. You also end up faffing about trying to swipe the bats away preventing you from shooting inevitably ending up dying from the small bats or just getting rushed by the big one. Somehow I managed to get a very lucky moment where I fired a bunch of grenades into the air (which often misses or shoots the small bats) and stuck the main boss multiple times killing it quite quickly with only about 6 grenades and one shotgun round in total with a bit of health damage. Oh you also get a trophy if you manage to kill 16 bats which I did on a previous go before dying. It was easily the most annoying boss.

So I'm a bit further than this and in some library/labs getting having to deal with those bloody human leeches. I think I figured out the best way to take them down, and a shot gun is not the way. I do seem to have plenty of ammo though overall, and if anything the main difficulty comes when being split up from one another and having to deal with limited access to things, on top of the fact that all my stuff is spread about everywhere. 

I've played a bit more of this and unlike @Soulstar I'm constantly short of ammo as well as herbs. I'm still in the training facility but I think I've unlocked nearly all the doors now so imagine I'll be onto the next section soon. 

Overall, I'm still enjoying it. The resource/player swapping/management stuff kind of *is* the game which I've accepted. The controls are annoying in a panic situation (I'm still adamantly sticking with tank controls) but that's intentional and I'm ok with that too.

Helps that it looks absolutely gorgeous.

• Upvote 1

@Camel

I’m glad someone is still playing it, I thought I was alone entirely by now haha. I’ve had to do a lot of repeated plays (after each new save) until I’ve been satisfied I’ve had a good run and it’s helped me make more efficient use of ammo and health. Some places you don’t need to fight the enemies at all or I’d leave them until later. Now I have about 170 normal bullets over 30 shotgun rounds, 10 Molotovs and a fair few grenade round types. I’ve got three healing items to make full health. Where possible I’ll resort to using a pistol on standard zombies just to waste normal bullets because I have so much of it. There is a custom part you can find to enhance one of them but I won’t tell you how to find it. 

Have you done those scales in the main hall yet? Just trying to work out where about’s you are without giving anything away.

I played some more late last night and feel I’m getting quite far now.

Just got a key that leads into a room with some hunters in cages and recently obtained the leech keys you use on those doors with the busts of Marcus. 

I need one more piece. I've just done the puzzle with the seats.

I've only ever completed one Resi game (REmake on the GC) so I'd quite like to see this through to the end. I'm astounded by how much ammo you have when I have pretty much none :D

Are you playing on normal difficulty @Soulstar?

On 12/12/2019 at 17:49, Camel said:

Are you playing on normal difficulty @Soulstar?

Yeah  I was playing it on normal difficulty. There are lots of opportunities really to get more ammo and health as you go through, especially later in the game. Most of the enemies I killed as well, leaving a few of the ones in the mansion earlier on but even then not many so don't worry too much as I'm sure you'll get enough. 

Also, I've come to post that I've just finished the game about half an hour ago. 

As I've mentioned before (and so have a lot of others), it certainly does have the worst inventory management system of any RE I've played and the way you just drop items is so messy and leads to a lot of back tracking, however it's actually a good classic style RE game outside of this. Another point I'd add to the negative in some ways is that it feels very similar to Remake in terms of locations, set pieces, enemies, weapons, bosses (some of them) and even puzzles like the chess pieces. The train at the beginning sets it apart, but then once you enter the mansion, it's all very much the sort of thing you'd have seen if you've played Remake. Controlling two characters for the most part just added to the convoluted system of managing items and I spent a great deal of time in solo. It does help though as I just thought back to one of the boss scenarios I mentioned in a previous post which I tackled on my own, but this really is designed to have both players fighting together. Relying on the AI though isn't always the best though as I remember fighting the last boss on one of my runs and realised that the CPU controlled character had hardly shot more than about 4 grenade rounds in the time I'd launched a shit load. You're also open to multiple characters getting damaged and then having to take into account the fact that both need healing. Therefore most of the time I'd recommend just going solo. 

It might have been the whole backtracking and items and general difficulty that made me want to get to the end and just get it done which isnt't really a great thing. That may have also been because I know that it's part of last month's game and just wanted to box off the game and start the next. I can't see myself replaying the game at all but there are things you get to encourage replay and a special game

Wesker Mode allowing you to replay with a different costume and new abilities, and also the Leech Game which I'm going to assume is a bit like the Mercenaries game but stomping on leeches. Someone once mentioned this to me years back but I haven't seen or played it.

Resident Evil 0 and REmake have both been on my "to-play" list for years and years and the main reason I never got round to them was down to not having a Gamecube. I went through REmake about 18 months ago or so thanks to my cousin having it on his PS+ account and this thread encouraged me to buy the Origins collection once and for all, so I've finally finished both of them along with the Original, 2, 3 and Code Veronica on the DC. RE4 will be next in line (can you believe I've not played that yet?). 

So as a finishing note, I'd agree with this being the weakest, but largely down to it's two player/item management system and overly familiar feel to REmake. There were some really nice touches though when things animated in the train and in other areas. You can't knock the overall look of RE0 as it's really good. 

Anyway Camel, where have you got to since?

IMG_3324.JPG