Creepshow (2019 TV series)

Treble

After the disappointment of the new Twilight Zone series, is this any better? 

Well, the first installment of the S01 double episode - Gray Matter - is.... OK? An adaptation of the King short story, the pacing's off and the great cast totally underused, but the ending's excellent. 

6/10

The second part, The House of the Head, meanwhile, is an absolute stormer. It's that great mixture of eerie, inexplicable and unsettling. I can't tell you the premise without at least part spoiling things - best to go in blind - but gets a hearty recommendation. 

9/10

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

New Creepshow, awesome. Didn't even know it was a thing, I can still remember the Creepshow 2 shorts.

I've just gone down a bit of YT rabbit hole too looking a the older anthology shorts. Does anyone remember this?

Body bags is excellent.  I love horror anthologies.  I put up a list later today if anyone is interested.

This missed all of the beats that makes Creepshow great unfortunately. The comic book aesthetic has been ignored along with all of the goofiness that’d keep you watching what are for the most part fairly formulaic horror tales. 

If the first ep is anything to go by this is a missed opportunity for the Creepshow licence.  Just another run of the mill horror anthology show pretty much. Where’s my cake Bedelia? You bitch!

I’ll keep watching in hope. 

S01E02:

Bad Wolf Down: One of those stories that's been done to death in comics and batted around Hollyweird without ever really getting made, this feels a bit old and tired. Characters are barely there and it looks cheap, on the positive side there's some good gore FX, and it leans-in to the Creepshow vibe (garish lighting, dutch angles, comic book panels) pretty heavily. 

5/10

The Finger: this one is brutal but fun; a decent creature feature with a great little monster in 'Bob'. Captures the early 80s vibe perfectly, with its silly but effective little demon dude jittering around in unsettling stop motion. The story is wafer-thin, but it has that grim charm you want from an anthology series. 

7/10

its on prime under prime channels - one called Shudder - not sure it is anywhere else (I googled it).

I only came in here as I thought ooh new Creepshow I wonder if... and then remembered Romero has passed away which has made me slightly more depressed on a friday afternoon :(

29 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Is there a reason this was ignored?

Sorry, completely missed this! You can do a free 7 day trial of Shudder, so you could wait until the end then binge it. Otherwise it's £4.99 a month. 

I don't know whether it's a conscious thing or a subconscious thing, but Hollywood stuff seems to leave endings open by default these days, so sequels are possible/they can 'expand the universe' later on.

As I say, no idea if this is deliberate or not but it's certainly a thing. And not a great idea when it comes to self-contained anthology stories.

• 2 weeks later...

S01E03:

All Hallow's EveA group of older kids cause havoc on Halloween. The poorest story of the season so far, for me. Predictable and old fashioned, yes, but also poorly acted and directed. Waste of time. 

4/10

The Man in the Suitcase: I'm starting to think the showrunner is putting a 'safe' story up front, then finishing off with something a bit more tricksy and original. 

Packing a lot into its short runtime, this one's a little surreal and quite nasty as well... ie exactly what I want from an anthology story. I can't even tell you the premise without kinda wrecking it, so go in blind. I will say I think it's the best vignette so far! 

10/10

It wasn't great, but I got more out of it than you, I think.

S01E04:

The Companion: a typical yarn for the show - reanimated creature operates on revenge motives - but the director (not separately credited, but I think it was Roxanne Benjamin who has previous with anthology horror) directs the shit out of a thin script.

6/10

Lydia Layne's Better Half: the second segment continues to be the more experimental, but the results here are mixed. Good performances from the leads but the tale - an accidental death, and a cover-up gone wrong (and gone supernatural) - is fairly threadbare. Passes the time, but instantly forgettable. 

5/10

• 3 weeks later...

S01E05:

"Night of the Paw": the screenwriter had the cheek to think he could use The Monkey's Paw story and create a pseudo-sequel of merit. He failed. Sickly re-tread of the classic story, poorly told and sloppily directed. 

2/10

"Times is Tough in Musky Holler": Feels like a discarded draft of a Walking Dead episode. A bonus point for some gnarly SFX but, other than that, entirely superfluous storytelling and film making

3/10

This episode is a real low point in a series that's struggled to find a voice so far. I watched it ages ago but had totally forgotten its existence, hence the late write-up. I'm fervently hoping the final episode goes out with a bang, as it's unlikely we'll see a second season of this.

Episode 6 is a little better - part 1 was silly, but fun with some real bad acting and part 2, well it wasn't anything amazing at all..

It's a shame , there are about 4-5 stories that are pretty watchable, but nothing really that amazing. The guy in the suitcase and the house of head were probably the better ones for me.

• 1 year later...

The animated special was god awful, I seen better animated SCPS on youtube. Christmas special was fun but yassssss new season and the first episodes has bangers back to back. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been enjoying this show. It's low budget, and actors come at it with very different plans to other cast members. And it's stupid.

But mostly, it's right up my street.

Preferred 50 States of Fright, but I'll take any schlocky horror anthology.

On 22/04/2021 at 08:52, Nobuo's Organ said:

Wasn't expecting an Evil Dead story, but there it is in the first episode of the new series :wub:

I’m off today and it was the first thing touted on Fire Tv when I turned it on so I signed up for the Shudder trial, blitzed through the first season and I’m on this episode now and it is fantastic. 

Bob Ross vs the Evil Dead :lol: he even beat the devil out the brush :wub:

Slowly watching season 2...

Episode one was decent all round. The evil dead episode was a surprise.

Episode 2, the first story was good but i don't really know if i enjoyed the 2nd story (the pest control guy). It was a bit weird and i didn't quite understand what was going on.

Still generally better quality than season 1 one far.