Disco Elysium

In fairness, it’s more like a virtual D&D campaign than a point and click adventure. It’s very much a role playing game, so it’s more about choosing your responses carefully for the character you’re playing than just exhausting all the conversation options. It’s basically like playing a Fighting Fantasy book, where you mostly just making decisions and doing dice checks. 

Where it excels though is making all these decisions feel interconnected, and snap decisions you made many hours ago having major repercussions later. Sort of like how some of the quest outcomes in Witcher 3 would come back to haunt you, but on a far more intricate scale. 

A lot of it is smoke and mirrors of course, but it’s extremely well done. Apart from all the bugs that have stopped me from playing. 

4 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Sure. I wasn't really making a proper comparison to the actual game, necessarily. Just rubbishing the review.

Oh I know, the review was rubbish. I think one of the difficulties with the game is setting appropriate expectations though. I started enjoying it way more when I started thinking of it more like an animated FF game. 

I am struggling with this, I seem to be spending most of my time wandering aimlessly unsure what to do next.  Is that kinda of the point? it sounds like I should just be going with it and enjoy talking to the different people.

I also have a few items and tools but don't really know if I should be experimenting with these or using them when explicitly told to.

1 minute ago, tobert said:

I am struggling with this, I seem to be spending most of my time wandering aimlessly unsure what to do next.  Is that kinda of the point? it sounds like I should just be going with it and enjoy talking to the different people.

I also have a few items and tools but don't really know if I should be experimenting with these or using them when explicitly told to.

There are some that you can inspect in the menu to get new information/interactions, so make sure you do that, and some things will only be possible if you have a tool equipped in a hand (for example you can only pick up Tare/rubbish when your plastic bag is equipped). 

Mostly though you’ll be given options in the text to use objects in the right place if you have them in your inventory, there’s none of that ‘use every item in your inventory on every bit of the scenery’ type gameplay from point and click adventures. 

I’m fucking loving this but only realised that it buggy when listening to TCGS and now, like others, I’ve got an issue with a sandcastle. Question for those who have completed it:

Spoiler

I’m on Day 4, I guess I’m only here for a certain amount of time? I assume if I want to interact with that sandcastle, I’m waiting for a patch to hit? Also, after hitting a trigger with the body, Kim disappeared for a whole day. I think it was Wednesday as I went across the water. He turned back up on Thursday outside my shack. Is that supposed to happen?

6 hours ago, tobert said:

I was like this up to a point and then at a point I felt it opened up and I had more things develop organically.

I've not heard the full soundtrack, but from the few hours I played from the game some of it is instrumental versions of their older rock albums (and they'd already released a brass collection of them before this). They are a 'rock band' so its not usually like the game music, but you would probably like From the Sea to the Land Beyond and Sea of Brass if you like the soundtrack.

1 hour ago, DC said:

I’m fucking loving this but only realised that it buggy when listening to TCGS and now, like others, I’ve got an issue with a sandcastle. Question for those who have completed it:

Hide contents

I’m on Day 4, I guess I’m only here for a certain amount of time? I assume if I want to interact with that sandcastle, I’m waiting for a patch to hit? Also, after hitting a trigger with the body, Kim disappeared for a whole day. I think it was Wednesday as I went across the water. He turned back up on Thursday outside my shack. Is that supposed to happen?

Patch just dropped and it doesn’t fix the sandcastle issue sadly. 

9 hours ago, DC said:

I got the s/t on bandcamp, it’s by British Sea Power and it touches my heart. Is this reasonably unique to this game or consistent with their other output?

They’re a very special band! Absolutely incredible, especially live when they’re in full flow. They’re lovely people too. Can’t speak highly of them enough!

They have a very diverse back catalogue mixed between their main albums and their soundtrack stuff. You really can’t go wrong with anything they’ve put out though. My pick would be their debut album “the Decline of British Sea Power” which, in my opinion, is one of the best debut albums ever. It’s that good! Or if you like their soundtrack stuff try “Man of Aran” which reworks some of their main album songs into their soundtrack work. 

As you like the soundtrack stuff maybe take a listen to these main album tracks which might sound familiar - “Cleaning Out the Rooms”, “True Adventures”, “Great Skua”, “the Land Beyond”. You might like these B-Sides too - “”Albert’s Eyes”, “Let the Tear’s Roll”.

Booted this back up for the final cut. The voice acting seems really good, the actor for your internal monologue is especially fitting and all the locals have appropriate regional and foreign accents. I thought I'd end up skipping most of the dialogue and just reading the text but I ended up listening to a lot of it.

Unfortunately despite all the optimisation they've done for lower end PC's, the loading times on my laptop are still 3-5 minutes long. The performance once you are in-game is definitely improved, but those loading times are killer in a game where you need to go back and forth between buildings a lot. One to return to once I get a better PC. I wish I had refunded it earlier because I could have just picked up the console version!

Was amused/horrified when my tactic of not committing, or speaking in largely inoffensive generalisations, to any personal or political inquiry (I am a policeman after all) earned me the ‘Centrist’ trophy. Well played. 

Console jankiness aside, this is an awful lot of fun, and it’s to my chagrin (and relief, as the voice acting adds a lot) that it passed me by the first time. Reminds me of Planescape: Torment, in that you’re always receiving unsavoury clues as to what kind of man your previous self was, and it’s up to you if you want to embrace that identity or fight to be something ‘better.’ 

I’m consistently impressed by both the wittiness and eloquence of the writing, which is the best I’ve seen in an RPG in quite a while. Just when you think it’s all a bit too zany, there’s a moment of genuine pathos. Having no voice for your character is essential, I think, because some of the funniest lines are as likely to be the ramblings of a drunk as they are droll self-mockery. So the lack of clarifying inflection makes every laugh very slightly uncomfortable. 

I’m itching to carry on with this but I don’t know how significant the bug I’m experiencing is and if there are more laying in wait. I’d be more annoyed but this has so much goodwill from me, I just want to carry on with it.

I would usually be someone who skipped quickly through text but the quality of the VA here means I let it all play out.

4 hours ago, DC said:

I’m itching to carry on with this but I don’t know how significant the bug I’m experiencing is and if there are more laying in wait. I’d be more annoyed but this has so much goodwill from me, I just want to carry on with it.

Much the same here. My experience was bug-free until I reached the fishing village, then I encountered two fairly major ones in a row. The latest patch has resolved one but not the other, so reckon I’ll be forced to wait for a fix as well. 

2 hours ago, Steve McQueef said:

My only annoyance, is it not recognising when I've pressed X to interact with something, a number of times.

The controls are shit. I’ve found that holding L1 and then directing to the item gets the best results. Still requires more than one go, sometimes, though. Also, if the text in a conversation has no white option, because you’ve pressed a direction, hit square to go to you menu and then back, which should make it reappear reliably. All other efforts produce mixed results in my experience.

I can’t stop playing, though will be forced too soon I guess. Even with it’s obvious technical issues, this is an all timer for me.

7 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

Much the same here. My experience was bug-free until I reached the fishing village, then I encountered two fairly major ones in a row. The latest patch has resolved one but not the other, so reckon I’ll be forced to wait for a fix as well. 

i just completed it today, after the car fix worked. The sandcastle bug doesn’t affect how the game plays out much, so you get to the end at least now the car is fixed. 

Very buggy game. Mostly enjoyed it, but was glad it ended when it did.