IGNORED

Disco Elysium

SM47

10 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Just finished it. Man, what a trip. More an exhilarating experience than simply playing a game. Love it. This is easily one of the best RPGs I've ever played and I'm definitely in for whatever this developer decides to make next - hopefully a sequel because there's so much potential still in this wonderful setting.

Massive spoilers!

Reveal hidden contents

Just one side quest I didn't manage to finish - open Klaasje's buoy. Because the damn  thing was bugged.

Other than that... Man. The standoff was real edge of my seat stuff. The fat guy and the old guy died, the Shanky one ran away. All three mercenaries dead, shot their leader in the face and saved Kitsuragi thank god. Kim is brilliant, I'm a big Kim fan.

Managed to get a complete confession and then

Reveal hidden contents

I TALKED TO THAT FUCKING PLASMID.

Best result: I'm back on the force and I managed to recruit Kitsuragi!!! Yes!!!

What a game, what a game. Few RPGs are as well-written as this. It's way way up there with the likes of Planescape Torment and the more recent Yakuza games. Fantastic stuff. One of the best games I've ever played. An all-time classic.

Now all is well again. :D

Regarding those massive spoilers:

Spoiler

Might have mentioned this elsewhere, but I genuinely chocked up after pulling the trigger in the stand-off. Trying to de-escalate everything and then finding your only real option being to shoot. It's an action that's trivial in every other game and here's it's the only time you do it and... I just sat down shaking after shooting thinking about what I did and why the hell did I do it, etc. etc. To me that was an experience akin to stuff experienced in Ico, Rez, etc. Just a genre defining moment. How on Earth can your RPG be so good, for it to make me doubt pulling a virtual trigger?!

Being the goody two-shoes, I also stumbled into the plasmid which was something I genuinely did not expect. Felt like walking on clouds. Truly as if all the bumbling about had one slight uptick.

Also, the title screen has now so, sooooo much more weight. Spent a few minutes to track down the window.

Glad you got to experience this one. :D

53 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Now all is well again. :D

Regarding those massive spoilers:

Hide contents

Might have mentioned this elsewhere, but I genuinely chocked up after pulling the trigger in the stand-off. Trying to de-escalate everything and then finding your only real option being to shoot. It's an action that's trivial in every other game and here's it's the only time you do it and... I just sat down shaking after shooting thinking about what I did and why the hell did I do it, etc. etc. To me that was an experience akin to stuff experienced in Ico, Rez, etc. Just a genre defining moment. How on Earth can your RPG be so good, for it to make me doubt pulling a virtual trigger?!

Being the goody two-shoes, I also stumbled into the plasmid which was something I genuinely did not expect. Felt like walking on clouds. Truly as if all the bumbling about had one slight uptick.

Also, the title screen has now so, sooooo much more weight. Spent a few minutes to track down the window.

Glad you got to experience this one. :D

I'm really glad I experienced it too. I've been playing videogames for over three decades and there have been a handful of games that I can point to and say - THIS. THIS is why I play games, this exhilarating feeling that these handful of games gave me. This is the dragon that I'm chasing. Disco Elysium is now one of those games.

The event you mention had the same effect on me. Not just that specific moment you describe, but also the thing with Kim. I didn't lie when I said I was on the edge of my seat. When the event was over, I noticed I had been holding my breath. 

The very end, with what we both experienced, was similarly mind-blowing for me. 

Usually I finish a game, and move on to the next. It was fun, time for something else. But with Disco Elysium I'm still thinking about it the next day. 

Oh and all the Dutch in the game means of course big plus points overall.

The S/T on Bandcamp is stellar too. Superb ambient music that I’ve had playing whilst working.

I’d largely fallen out of love with games of late but this was so special and compelling to me, it really pulled me back in. I’m looking out for any other media that put out with great interest.

To be honest I think Disco Elysium is one of the few games released in the last decade that actually transcends its medium. It has so much to actually say, and is meaningful beyond the typical gaming experience. I'm struggling to think of a more important work for the form since games were first used as a storytelling platform.