Apple Arcade

1 hour ago, Michael J Glocks said:

Could anyone recommend a decent and ideally not particularly expensive Bluetooth controller I can use with iOS? Will only be using it for Apple Arcade on iPad. Even better if it’s not a hideous early 2000s Mad Catz monstrosity. 

I don’t know if the situation has changed since I last looked into it but the kind of controllers that are Made For IOS (MFI) certified are all from the Mad Catz school of game pad design. 

The genius of Apple’s recent push into games was their opening the drawbridge to DS4 and Xbox controllers, since they’re very good and most people have one or the other already. Appreciate this isn’t very helpful if you aren’t in that category. 

3 hours ago, Michael J Glocks said:

Could anyone recommend a decent and ideally not particularly expensive Bluetooth controller I can use with iOS? Will only be using it for Apple Arcade on iPad. Even better if it’s not a hideous early 2000s Mad Catz monstrosity. 

8bitdo N30 Pro.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

I don’t know if the situation has changed since I last looked into it but the kind of controllers that are Made For IOS (MFI) certified are all from the Mad Catz school of game pad design. 

Virtually any Bluetooth controller works now, so yes, it has changed.

19 minutes ago, deKay said:

Virtually any Bluetooth controller works now, so yes, it has changed.

I would love to be proven wrong but I think it’s just DS4, Xbox and MFI-certified pads. 

Which doesn’t include any 8bitdo pads. Boo!

11 minutes ago, Popo said:

I would love to be proven wrong but I think it’s just DS4, Xbox and MFI-certified pads. 

Which doesn’t include any 8bitdo pads. Boo!

I play loads of games on mine with my 8bitdo pad.

47 minutes ago, deKay said:

8bitdo N30 Pro.

The switch is the only console I own, so this could be a good option. Gutted that my pro controller won’t work. :angry:

EDIT although I just found this reddit thread and now don’t know what to think

2 minutes ago, deKay said:

I play loads of games on mine with my 8bitdo pad.

Is that because you downgraded the firmware and connected it in iCade mode? Because I found that to be unreliable. 

I mean, if there’s another way, I for one would like to know. I’ve got loads of these bloody pads. :lol:

1 minute ago, Popo said:

Is that because you downgraded the firmware and connected it in iCade mode? Because I found that to be unreliable. 

I mean, if there’s another way, I for one would like to know. I’ve got loads of these bloody pads. :lol:

Here’s what I did:

1) took new controller out of box

2) paired it with iPad

3) played game

It Just Works.

Maybe, I didn’t try just pairing it from the Bluetooth settings. 

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT210414

Strange that Apple don’t make this public knowledge - it didn’t work when iOS 13 first came out and the above support page still maintains that it’s only DS4, Xbox and MFI pads that work. 

But yes, I’ve been able to pair my M30 by putting it in macOS mode (start + A) and am now playing Sonic 2. Happy days!

• 2 months later...

What’s decent on it? I’ve thrashed What the Golf and Cricket TTA, I also quite like Pinball Wizard but there’s not much to it. I’ve played a bit of Bleak Sword but not sure if I like it. Gungeon is a big disappointment.

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

What’s decent on it? I’ve thrashed What the Golf and Cricket TTA, I also quite like Pinball Wizard but there’s not much to it. I’ve played a bit of Bleak Sword but not sure if I like it. Gungeon is a big disappointment.

Grindstone is fantastic. 

I’m not using the service at all now that I have no commute. Only really keeping it as my daughter loves Sneaky Sasquatch. 

6 hours ago, ZOK said:

Jenny LeClue and the Lego Builder game.

I have Grindstone a try, it’s very nice with some great music but I feel like I’ve seen it all before. I’ll give the others a peek, cheers for the reccos.

I’m looking more for stuff that’s short burst really though.

On 21/05/2020 at 22:42, deKay said:

Jenny LeClue and the Lego Builder game.

I tried Lego builders and I found it annoying within about 5 minutes, so not for me! I don’t like the look of the Jenny LeClue at all.

The stuff I’m looking for is stuff like What the Golf and Cricket TTA, quick spins that make good use of the tactile nature of the iPhone.

• 3 months later...

Just got a month of this free with my iPad Pro, I'm new to iOS, well I had an iPad 3 and a 3GS (still able to d/l Infinity Blade from back then, yay!) and a bit overwhelmed with the choice. Been reading a bit of the thread and took a couple of suggestions but interested in if anything decent has appeared since the last posts?

Wonder if its worth a yearly sub or will it be pointless after my free month.

It’s great - loads of the games have been well received and you’d pay a lot more to play them on say, Switch. Just try whatever you like the look of and try and use a pad if you can as quite a few games really need it. Spaceland is really good if you fancy a tactics style game that’s super easy to get into. 

50 minutes ago, amc said:

Just downloaded Hello Games's The Last Campfire. Seems lovely after my short play.

very pretty, nice music. Seems relaxing after one puzzle.

like the narrators voice, and the touch to walk mechanic rather than a virtual joystick.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just released Miami as a new city for Skate City, so if chill street skating is your vibe .... 
* I work for Agens doing game dev - for Miami I mostly did the challenge level design. 
If you have any criticism I'd love to hear it and see if there's anything we can improve on.

7 hours ago, vamecum said:

We just released Miami as a new city for Skate City, so if chill street skating is your vibe .... 
* I work for Agens doing game dev - for Miami I mostly did the challenge level design. 
If you have any criticism I'd love to hear it and see if there's anything we can improve on.

Brilliant! I hammered this game, good to have an excuse to go back to it.