rllmuk
Benny

The Official Rllmuk Awards 2019 & Games of the Decade - VOTING CLOSED

24 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Not that I’ve played it myself, but Bloodborne is conspicuous by its absence in @LaveDisco‘s rundown of usual suspects there.

1) A list of every souls game would be pretty boring.

2) None hit like the first.

3) But still, your right, Bloodborne is by far the best at standing alone. It probably does deserve a mention.

On 08/09/2019 at 12:23, Qazimod said:

It’s fascinating seeing what’s stood the test of time compared to what I voted for previously. In 2016 I put Arkham Knight and Until Dawn ahead of Witcher 3 simply because I had more fun with them that year. In 2019 I still play Witcher 3 quite a lot and still not finished. It took well over a year to get really into it, but now it’s certainly up there for my GotD.

• Upvote 1

On 09/09/2019 at 15:03, Stanshall said:

Apologies, I don't know what I was thinking. Will edit. 

Still need removing ;)

5 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

*snip*

Can you remove from here and edit the original post please instead? It's going to be much easier when I come to collate later :). Ta

5 minutes ago, Benny said:

Can you remove from here and edit the original post please instead? It's going to be much easier when I come to collate later :). Ta

Ah, yep. I edited the original but will delete the above to avoid duplication. Cheers! 

A work in progress

Game of the Year

A1.

A2.

A3.

A4.

A5.

Biggest Disappointment of the Year (game, hardware, or anything else)

Z1. Sekiro. (Not that I think it's bad but it's too reliant on mechanics that I am useless at performing consistently)

Z2.

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1.

S2.

S3.

Visual Design of the Year

V1.

V2.

V3.

Writing of the Year

W1.

W2.

W3.

Gaming Format (System) of the Year

F1.

Publisher or Developer of the Year

P1.

Best Supported Game (released pre 2019) of the Year

B1. Rainbow 6 Siege 

Your game of the year that didn't come out this year (basically what is your favourite game you played this year that came out in 2018 or earlier)

X1.

Best game character of the year

C1.

C2.

C3.

And the big one:

Game of the Decade

D1. Dark Souls

D2. Portal 2

D3. Rainbow 6 Siege

D4. Dark Souls 3

D5. Bloodborne

D6. Breath of the Wild

D7. The Last of Us

D8. Red dead redemption

D9. Mass effect 2

D10. Bayonetta

Game of the Decade

D1. Dark Souls 3 (it’s the best one I don’t care what anyone else thinks! )

D2. Bloodborne

D3. Dark Souls (sorry if this looks like fanboyism but From really changed gaming for me with these 3 games, I never got to play Demons)

D4. Fez (what a beautiful and wonderfully designed game, truly an artwork, and that sound track, just brilliant)

D5. Portal 2 

D6. Red Dead Redemption 2 (clunky shit controls aside it is the most beautiful video game I have ever played on a console, and with this comes immersion, I can lose myself for hours in this game especially when I’m a little baked)

D7. Apex Legends (I hate the business model but putting that aside the game plays amazingly. It’s the most revolutionary FPS since Halo, all others now pale into insignificance. The ping system should be obligatory from now on)

D8.

D9. 

D10. 

Will add add more later...

Hey @Benny, just to check, have you begun collating entries yet? I've a few changes to make to my list, and was wondering if I need to quote and mark my changes, or if I can just edit the original post at the moment.

10 hours ago, Wiper said:

Hey @Benny, just to check, have you begun collating entries yet? I've a few changes to make to my list, and was wondering if I need to quote and mark my changes, or if I can just edit the original post at the moment.

Yes, editing is fine until the deadline. And preferable to additional posts.

I assume the thread has gone quiet because everyone is deciding how high they are ranking the naughty goose.

It's good (the best Hitman game to star a goose), but it's no Sayonara Wild Hearts. 

• Upvote 2

Still too many games still to play or be released. It's been a crazy September.

Sayonara was very good. I've got the Goose, but not played it yet. Astral Chain is still the game right now.

Slay the Spire nearly pipped Tetris 99 for me. The only thing holding it back is sometimes when you die in it it's not always entirely your fault. Unlike Tetris 99.

3 hours ago, Benny said:

I assume the thread has gone quiet because everyone is deciding how high they are ranking the naughty goose.

I wasn't going to do a full list, but I'm so amazed by Noita that I might have to.

I may never get to play some of this years games, not now that strictly has started again...

• Empathy 1

It's crazy to think that, once all this is done and 2020 starts that The Last of Us Part II is going to have to wait until 2029 before it can be included in a game of the decade list. :blink:

3 hours ago, teddymeow said:

It's crazy to think that, once all this is done and 2020 starts that The Last of Us Part II is going to have to wait until 2029 before it can be included in a game of the decade list. :blink:

‘If it deserves it we’ll remember. I’m miffed that Uncharted 2 has missed this list by a few months.

• Upvote 2

I have to say I'm disappointed at the vote tallies being closed off at the end of the year. Part of the charm of having the vote last a while into the new year is getting a chance to play through some of the years titles you may have either not finished yet or not have enough thoughts on yet to consider as a contender. This is especially true of the winter season generally being the time people get to play more games over the holidays.

I'll keep my complaints to a minimum however and move on. I'll fill in the gaps when it isn't 2am.

Game of the Year

A1. Sayonara Wild Hearts

A2. Untitled Goose Game

A3.

A4.

A5.

Biggest Disappointment of the Year (game, hardware, or anything else)

Z1. Pokemon Sword/Shield

Z2. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Z3. Switch Lite

Z4. Mario Kart Tour

Z5. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe

Sound Design of the Year

S1.

S2.

S3.

Visual Design of the Year

V1.

V2.

V3.

Writing of the Year

W1.

W2.

W3.

Gaming Format (System) of the Year

F1. SEGA Mega Drive Mini

Yes, it counts. Because as much as Switch 'gets the games'/ as far as hardware goes the MD Mini has been a constant hype machine for me throughout the year. From SEGA finally firing AtGames to slowly revealing the games list, to releasing tower parts! Oh, and it looks as classy as ever helps too.

Publisher or Developer of the Year

P1.

Best Supported Game (released pre 2019) of the Year

B1.

Your game of the year that didn't come out this year (basically what is your favourite game you played this year that came out in 2018 or earlier)

X1.

Best game character of the year

C1.

C2.

C3.

And the big one:

Game of the Decade

D1. BIT.TRIP FLUX (Wii, 2011)

D2. Bejeweled 3 (PC, 2010)

D3. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii, 2011)

D4. Cookie Clicker (Browser, 2013)

D5. Undertale (PC, 2015)

D6. Marvel Heroes (PC, 2013)

D7. BIT.TRIP Presents...Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (PC, 2013)

D8. To The Moon (PC, 2011)

D9. Portal 2 (PC, 2011)

D10. The Witness (PC, 2016)

Something you have to understand about my decade list is I'm treating it as a personal top 10. I'm not factoring in industry significance, titles pushing gaming forward, games which caused whole copycat crazes (mobas, fortnight), micro-transactions, none of that. These are purely games over the last decade that have factored into my life, helped me at the best and worst of times, or have good memories with others playing them. It's far easier this way, and feels better, too. Than to praise Witcher 3 for pushing things whilst also pointing out most of the industry ignored it and went micro-transaction crazy instead anyway, as one example.

This also factors out something like Sonic Mania, for as amazing as it is (and it is), on a personal level it didn't affect me, my 100+ hours playing it across all platforms is just  'fun times'. Not 'life' significant.

• Upvote 2

Sorry @Wiper, I liked Prey, but it wasn't enough of an improvement over System Shock 2 for me. A nice, nostalgic feeling pair of slippers to slip into, but not game of the decade material for me. I actually decided to get round to playing it just in case... I'll be getting onto Astro Bot by the end of the year for the same reason.

25 minutes ago, Benny said:

Sorry @Wiper, I liked Prey, but it wasn't enough of an improvement over System Shock 2 for me. A nice, nostalgic feeling pair of slippers to slip into, but not game of the decade material for me. I actually decided to get round to playing it just in case... I'll be getting onto Astro Bot by the end of the year for the same reason.

Well I'm glad you enjoyed it, even if you didn't love it! Hopefully Astro Bot will charm you (though I'll be sad if it sees the superlative Rez Infinite knocked from your list).

For what it's worth, I wouldn't necessarily call Prey an improvement on SS2 at all - in that I'd not put them in quite the same genre; more Deus Ex meets space horror than System Shock[ 2]++. Still, in a decade filled with notable throwbacks and gentle evolutions (the Souls game mashing together dungeon crawlers and metroidvanias [plus more gloom]; the Witchers and Original Sins mining deep into the Western CRPG; DOOM and X-COM reimagining, um, Doom and XCOM; RDR2 seeing the ability of Houser-era Rockstar to polish a turd refined down to a hard diamond of worthlessness), I found Prey a particularly accomplished example of that genre.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

Well I'm glad you enjoyed it, even if you didn't love it! Hopefully Astro Bot will charm you (though I'll be sad if it sees the superlative Rez Infinite knocked from your list).

For what it's worth, I wouldn't necessarily call Prey an improvement on SS2 at all - in that I'd not put them in quite the same genre; more Deus Ex meets space horror than System Shock[ 2]++. Still, in a decade filled with notable throwbacks and gentle evolutions (the Souls game mashing together dungeon crawlers and metroidvanias [plus more gloom]; the Witchers and Original Sins mining deep into the Western CRPG; DOOM and X-COM reimagining, um, Doom and XCOM; RDR2 seeing the ability of Houser-era Rockstar to polish a turd refined down to a hard diamond of worthlessness), I found Prey a particularly accomplished example of that genre.

I actually did knock Rez from my list... For Wipeout VR. It was always going to be one of the two, I'd just forgotten how incredible the Wipeout experience was.

I should add, don't assume anyone else reading this that that was not a recommendation for Prey: I can't recommend it highly enough, it just didn't quite hit high enough for me to be an all time great. Plus I did savescum. A lot. Bad Benny.