Rate the last film you watched out of 5

17 minutes ago, Marlew said:

It sounds great, rightly up my street. I just watched the first Lone Wolf and Cub film today and really enjoyed that, sounds like a similar vibe! 

Forgot about the Lone Wolf films! Thanks for the reminder. And Criterion have a six film box set! So that's going on the Christmas list. :)

edit: just saw the thread you made.

Shihomi is a treasure. I fell in love and rattled through the filmography a few years ago. Watch the set of course, but the SSF movies take a nosedive after the second, with the fourth barely qualifying. Her movies are kind of hard to come by in decent quality, but track down The 13 Steps of Maki in particular for a tremendous final dust-up.

Rocks

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9067182/

Low key British movie about a young black girl trying to look after her younger brother and their mother abandons them.

I thought this was really impressive. Sad but uplifting at the same time. Great performances from the young cast. It never lapses into pity or judgement and it plays out in nicely understated way. Definitely recommended.

On Netflix.

4.5/5

30 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Rocks

Low key British movie about a young black girl trying to look after her younger brother and their mother abandons them.

I thought this was really impressive. Sad but uplifting at the same time. Great performances from the young cast. It never lapses into pity or judgement and it plays out in nicely understated way. Definitely recommended.

On Netflix.

4.5/5

Excellent, been waiting for this to appear, reviews have been stellar. Can't wait to watch it. Cheers :)

'Love & Monsters'

Absolutley perfect family viewing as a guy treks across the remains of a "destroyed by giant mutated bugs & amphibians" America to re-unite with the girl he loves. Frequently funny, good OTT special effects for the monsters and occasionally affecting. Recommended. I hope they make a bunch of sequels.

6 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

Rocks

On Netflix.

4.5/5

I wish I could have got more out if it, especially after all the rave reviews. The performances were great but outside that I find it all pretty standard affair for these type of stories. Its still good but I do wish I'd have liked it more.

1 hour ago, Glasgowchivas said:

'Love & Monsters'

Absolutley perfect family viewing as a guy treks across the remains of a "destroyed by giant mutated bugs & amphibians" America to re-unite with the girl he loves. Frequently funny, good OTT special effects for the monsters and occasionally affecting. Recommended. I hope they make a bunch of sequels.

I watched that yesterday and loved it. The perfect Sunday afternoon movie!

Watched a bunch of MUBI stuff over the weekend...

The Aviator’s Wife - 4/5

This is the kind of Eric Rohmer thing you either love or you hate, and if you hate it I can’t help you. Nearly two hours of Parisians talking to each other about the inconveniences of their love lives while Rohmer lets them get on with it, generally more interested in filming the minutiae of city life. Somewhere inside there’s a story of crossed love trajectories, but who cares. Wonderful.

The Other Lamb - 2/5

A very thin story about a cult living in a forest, kept to thirty minutes they would have had a decent flick but this is dragged out like no-one’s business. Looks nice but a waste of time.

The Other Side of Hope - 5/5

This is just amazing, Finnish humour so dry you need a glass of water at your elbow while watching. A Syrian refugee washes up in Finland and ends up working in a restaurant recently taken over by an ex-shirt salesman, and a perfect movie ensues. The restaurant is called the Golden Pint. A joy.

The Deer Hunter - 5/5

It’s The Deer Hunter!

Interstella 5555 

I've loved Daft Punk since about 1996 and I still have the fake Discovery leaks by a guy called Maarten on the D@ftCrew forum from way back when. Happy fuckin days. I bought the DVD of Interstella 5555 despite not owning a DVD player and only watched the thing for the first time when I moved to China a few years later, to no great effect. I've dropped off them somewhat over recent years, but having spotted the Blu Ray for fuck all, and being more open to anime these days, I decided to give it a whirl.

Basically the exact same image as the DVD, probably the worst quality Blu Ray I've ever seen. A total piss take. Enjoyable film, great audio mix, but an insulting release all in all.

3/5 - film

0/5 - Blu Ray

Saint Maud

An excellent movie about guilt, religious fanaticism and the slow descent into madness. Although the film draws a fine line between the last two. It's in the same vein of modern horror movies which generate thrills through suspensful anticipation and creepy imagery rather than cheap jump scares. I love the rather tired and tawdry chic of Scarborough and it's the perfect backdrop.

4/5