Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

Interstellar (2014)

image.png.124d9dd4b3511a4867599143620567d0.png

I've seen this a couple of times now and I think it's perhaps just a bit too ambitious to really make sense, even at almost three hours long. The plot doesn't bear that much close scrutiny before you start to notice the holes, and it doesn't quite stick the landing, for me, anyway.

As ever with Nolan, however, the production values, score and some of the imagery is through the roof, so those three hours pass by very quickly. I really loved McConaughey's performance, too - there were a couple of scenes between him and his daughter that surprisingly choked me up.

Even if it doesn't quite pull it off, more films like this that focus on the unknowability of space, glimpsing into the infinite void, and all the rest of it, can only be a good thing.

4/5

Has anyone read the book that came out with it, The Science of Interstellar? It was written by a Nobel Prize-winning physicist who acted as a consultant for the film, apparently. I wonder how accessible it is.

10 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Interstellar (2014)

image.png.124d9dd4b3511a4867599143620567d0.png

I've seen this a couple of times now and I think it's perhaps just a bit too ambitious to really make sense, even at almost three hours long. The plot doesn't bear that much close scrutiny before you start to notice the holes, and it doesn't quite stick the landing, for me, anyway.

As ever with Nolan, however, the production values, score and some of the imagery is through the roof, so those three hours pass by very quickly. I really loved McConaughey's performance, too - there were a couple of scenes between him and his daughter that surprisingly choked me up.

Even if it doesn't quite pull it off, more films like this that focus on the unknowability of space, glimpsing into the infinite void, and all the rest of it, can only be a good thing.

4/5

Has anyone read the book that came out with it, The Science of Interstellar? It was written by a Nobel Prize-winning physicist who acted as a consultant for the film, apparently. I wonder how accessible it is.

Love the scene as the spaceship flys past Saturn.

I skimmed jolt.  It was below average and right stupid.  I'm assuming its a comic series or that?  It felt right comicy at the end with some right ridiculous government contrived nonsense.  

I seriously wouldn't bother.  

1 out of 5.

Fear Street (all 3 parts) - i liked this, part one feels like a slasher from 94, part two a 70s/early style one! part three, is a bit slow for an hour then picks up! as a whole, i really liked the style! And i was very surprised by one aspect of it, as i thought it was aimed at more of a teen audience! which was great! 4/5

Dead End Drive In - id wanted to watch this for a while, and finally got round to subbing to the Arrow channel on prime...well...the 7 day trial! And ...i really enjoyed the aesthetic of it, so kitsche, so over the top, so very absoulutly as much 80's goth/punk you could cram in :D! but the story...damn! that was kinda weird, and oddly, even more pointed now! 4/5

Host (2020)

During lockdown some get together for a Zoom séance with hilarious consequences.

I'm a big fan of found footage films but I think the 'online footage' films are still finding their feet, but this was excellent. It uses the medium perfectly to tell a story that's genuinely terrifying.

5/5

The Tomorrow War

The alien design was straight out of Gears of War/Doom. The plot was standard, Hollywood nonsense - one dimensional characters saying clichéd things in situations we've seen a thousand times before.

It was too long. The last section didn't need to exist. Not much happened but it's still two hours +

It isn't my kind of film to be fair. My Mrs wanted to watch it. 

2/5

13 hours ago, tenrou said:

I skimmed jolt.  It was below average and right stupid.  I'm assuming its a comic series or that?  It felt right comicy at the end with some right ridiculous government contrived nonsense.  

I seriously wouldn't bother.  

1 out of 5.

Its terrible in every single way. I think it was written by a 14 year old (quick google search shows this is his first writing credit). Thing is the ending sets up sequels. I dont think any single person would want sequels to this. 

I have watched 2 female let action films this week and its disappointing that both are just diabolically bad. 

17 hours ago, PK said:

I rewatched this a month or two ago and I think it's a really good oddity of a film.

There's quite an interesting interview with Joe Cornish somewhere in which he says he wasn't aiming to make a comedy as such, he was trying to emulate a John Carpenter film where morally ambiguous people are thrown into a crazy life-or-death situation. He also mentions that he thinks the film suffered massively from the marketing leaning heavily on the Shaun of the Dead connections.

Not just the marketing - remember when Cornish was a guest on Mark Kermode's show, and he was peeved that Kermode had spent so much of his review (which I can't find on YouTube) comparing it to Shaun of the Dead instead of treating it as its own thing? He mentions the John Carpenter comparisons that he was aiming for in that as well:

Woodstock 99 Peace Love and Rage - ***

Ugh, horrible. Just makes you depressed. Just kept thinking "these are all some mothers sons".
Aye, every generation needs it's time to rebel and go nuts, but what a horrible lump of angry cocked little spoilt backwards capped rats, and their idols, the rat kings, belching up the shittest, most misguided, self regarding, creatively bankrupt soul rot bilge you'd ever dread hearing.

4 hours ago, neoELITE said:

The Tomorrow War

The alien design was straight out of Gears of War/Doom. The plot was standard, Hollywood nonsense - one dimensional characters saying clichéd things in situations we've seen a thousand times before.

It was too long. The last section didn't need to exist. Not much happened but it's still two hours +

It isn't my kind of film to be fair. My Mrs wanted to watch it. 

2/5

It was oddly… Dated feeling. Like it was trying to channel mid-late ‘90s blockbuster action films, particularly Independence Day. However even that arguably had more modern levels of self-awareness than this. I just don’t understand why a major studio in 2021 would stick to such a dated cinematic template and either not try to subvert it, or attempt to deconstruct it in any way.

Spoiler

Also, the line of dialogue that hinted that climate change was the cause of the aliens’ emergence was so brief that it barely registers. Presumably the studio didn’t want to offend the crazy religious beliefs of Fundie Christian Pratt.

5 hours ago, Mikes said:

Host (2020)

During lockdown some get together for a Zoom séance with hilarious consequences.

I'm a big fan of found footage films but I think the 'online footage' films are still finding their feet, but this was excellent. It uses the medium perfectly to tell a story that's genuinely terrifying.

5/5

Have you seen Searching? That's an online footage film that worked much better than I was expecting.

The Sparks Brothers

Despite having an Unlimited pass, I had to pay extra to see this because it had a Q&A with Edgar Wright. Which we didn't see because we had 30 minutes of technical issues where we sat in the dark. In silence. Sigh. 

That aside, this is a Sparks' fan's dream (and I should know: my wife is one) but suffers from being a hagiography. Despite being nearly 2.5 hours long it remains quite superficial and is packed full of 'look at all my famous mates!!' talking heads. Thankfully, they are background noise to an array of fascinating clips, hilarious bons mot, brilliant live footage and an equal treatment of every Sparks era. Works as a genuinely special bibliography; fails to tell you who they are as people.

3/5

2 hours ago, Treble said:

The Sparks Brothers

Despite having an Unlimited pass, I had to pay extra to see this because it had a Q&A with Edgar Wright. Which we didn't see because we had 30 minutes of technical issues where we sat in the dark. In silence. Sigh. 

That aside, this is a Sparks' fan's dream (and I should know: my wife is one) but suffers from being a hagiography. Despite being nearly 2.5 hours long it remains quite superficial and is packed full of 'look at all my famous mates!!' talking heads. Thankfully, they are background noise to an array of fascinating clips, hilarious bons mot, brilliant live footage and an equal treatment of every Sparks era. Works as a genuinely special bibliography; fails to tell you who they are as people.

3/5

I'm fine with that. I can't imagine Sparks really would want anyone to know them, tbh - it'd destroy a lifetime's work. I think the brothers know that these periods of attention and fame come and go, but their legacy is more important. I'm sure they like Edgar Wright, but they've met superfans before. I feel like working on Annette was where their actual attention was, and the doc, though I'm sure they were flattered, was something they could have taken or left.

Tis worth it for Joseph Wallace's stop motion. He's really excellent.

Jolt (2021)

I won't be the first person to compare this to Crank, or rather Crank 2: High Voltage, as it's essentially high-concept fun with some lightly bat-shit action here and there. It's not as full on as Crank 2, and like Kate Beckinsale's character it tries to maintain a sassy decorum whilst occasionally giving way to some choreographed chaos, the emphasis on the crazy does diminish as it goes on except a couple of fights near the end. Dialogue treads a fine line between irritating and zingy. Generally though it is an easy watch that never quite manages to go as far as you'd imagine from the comparisons. Please don't make a sequel, just let this stand on its own.

3/5

Jungle Cruise - 3.5/5

The Mummy is one of my favourite films, so take this with a pinch of salt, but this is actually surprisingly good fun. It's got a sort of comforting early 2000s feel to it, and everybody hams it up at just the right level. It's about 25 minutes too long and there's one really disappointing joke in it, especially given the sensitivity they show for exactly the same subject matter about three scenes beforehand. But other than that, it's quite good!

If nothing else it's worth seeing purely for the absolutely astonishing accent that Paul Giamatti attempts in it.

Batman Begins (2005)

image.thumb.png.0457100e749bb49d712c1b66e00037fd.png

This is yet another Nolan film that I've seen once already, though this one I haven't watched in at least a decade. Crazy to think that it's 16 years old!

Anyway, it's pretty good fun, if a bit rushed. The Scarecrow feels like a bit of a non-entity when compared to Raz-Al-Ghul and doesn't really have a huge amount of screen time. I'm not sure why he's even in the film, really. But, as an origin story, it does its job well and makes an endearing character out of Bruce Wayne. Some of the set design feels a little more contrived compared with the realism of Nolan's later films, and it lacks the grandeur of his more recent work, too. Overall, however, I thought it was a much better superhero film than some of the efforts from Marvel I've been watching this year.

Plus, it's got the Tumbler in it, which immediately makes it super badass.

4/5

A damn good Stephen King adaptation about a farmer who wants rid of his wife, with a fantastic central performance by Thomas Jane and a suitably creepy score. It's quite old fashioned really, like a classic 19th century ghost story, and not particularly scary, but it's very well crafted and never boring. 

4/5

Goodfellas

I watched this many years ago and found it very boring, and couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

This time around I was absolutely transfixed from start to almost finish (the last half hour does drag a little). It's an amazing film. I think seeing The Sopranos and watching this understanding more about the mob made me appreciate it more. 4.5/5

Force of Evil (1948)

As someone with a love for film noir I'm surprised this film hadn't crossed my path sooner. Though a little atypical for the genre (it evidently had a decent budget, for one), this is a fantastic bit of crime drama. It's well acted throughout (John Garfield at his charismatic, repressed-energy best; Thomas Gomez giving a wild, sympathetic turn), with gorgeous, percussive dialogue.

The focus on the brokenness of the system, rather than on the fault of the individual, is refreshing, and the use of repeated imagery (Cain and Abel, discussions of mortality) powerful. And the ending is suitably bleak.

It kept me engaged throughout, just a very compelling drama as we watch a set of sympathetic (and not-so-sympathetic) characters get dragged inevitably down into disaster through a rigged system (in which they are trying to run their own rigged systems...). Great stuff.

Only notable flaws: aspects of the ending didn't quite work for me; the shootout itself is very of its age, and the final voiceover just didn't ring true. Would he really turn himself in after all that? I also found the treatment of its female cast a little throwaway: even by the standards of the genre they feel a little too objectified, a little too without their own impetus.

Nevertheless, this was a fabulous film, and I'm looking forward to rewatching it.

(also, it made me really want a stovetop vacuum coffee maker of the era, what gorgeous devices they were)

4/5

Game Over, Man (2018)

Acceptable cheap 'n reasonably cheerful comedy Die Hard with three guys working in a hotel up against some terrorists and all that sort of thing. Definitely trying to tap into that slacker comedy thing popularised by the likes of Seth Rogen or Jason Bateman, but obviously a bit cheaper. It is unremarkable, has occasional laughs, typically coarse for this sort of thing, er that's it really. Totally forgettable but not that bad for a bit of throwaway entertainment. Alcohol definitely helped make this more enjoyable.

3/5

Bone Tomahawk

In the dying days of the old west, an elderly sheriff and his posse set out to rescue their town's doctor from cannibalistic cave dwellers.

I think this got a lot of attention for that* scene but I thought this was an excellent western in it's own right. It's a fairly typical story of abduction and rescue but there are some supernatural elements hinted at early doors and there's more than a little savagery, it can be quite gruesome though most of the gore is suggested rather than shown, which for me as  the squeamish sort, was quite welcome.

The cast are uniformly excellent with Russell, Wilson and fox doing good work, also thought that the wife/doctor was good , she's  a competent and intelligent character though her screen time is limited.Some of the dialogue is quite modern in it's sensibilities IMO but it portrays the characters as generally intelligent individuals  who are fully aware of the task they are undertaking and the potential pitfalls .

So , even if the story is not especially complex  it's not hard to gauge that I liked this as I keep using the word "excellent" in this review.

4/5

Dead Man's Shoes (2004)

Not watched this in years, it's still superbly grim, perfectly paced with that unique Shane Meadows combination of nastiness and humour, it is genuinely funny in places.

5/5

This is on Britbox now if you have it.

1 hour ago, Vimster said:

Dead Man's Shoes (2004)

Not watched this in years, it's still superbly grim, perfectly paced with that unique Shane Meadows combination of nastiness and humour, it is genuinely funny in places.

5/5

This is on Britbox now if you have it.

One of my top 10 movies. 

"You were right fucking here" 

Points to Palm of hand. 

"Are you the devil?" 

Black Mass - 3/5. 

Rewatch of the flawed gangster film about Whitey Bulger. 

Some good performances but a bit sloppy with the pacing. Benedict Cumberbatch Boston accent is up there with the worst. 

Fast 9 - 2/5 

For a film all about stupid action it was boring as fuck for most of the run time. A couple of half decent set pieces don't make up for it. They easily could have cut 30 mins and had a much more enjoyable film. Vin Diesels puckered asshole mouth angry face did make me laugh though.