Rate the last film you watched out of 5

The Mitchells Vs the Machines

There's an entire thread on this so I won't go into details,  it's not as good as Spiderman into the Spiderverse but is  still pretty wonderful 4/5.

Come and See which is a Soviet era film about Operation Barbarossa, specifically here about the German invasion of Belorussia.  It was shot in the mid 80s which is about as far removed from World War 2 as we are from the mid 80s. It’s super low budget, some bits are surreal but there’s an extended scene towards the end which will probably live with me forever. Amazing stuff, providing you know what you are letting yourself in for.  

I’m gonna have to give it a holy-fucking-shit/5. 

Dinner with Friends

Abysmally poor 'comedy' written by someone who can't write or structure a film, not to mention a funny one. Dreadful in every way possible.

Oh and Netfilx calls it Dinner with Friends, but it's own title calls it Friendsgiving.

0/5

Edit: Jesus Christ I just looked it up and Christene Taylor is in it. Unrecognisable.

The Untouchables

Watched this as I remembered the Amiga game, but had never seen the film. It was actually quite watchable, if dated, in places. K. Costner oddly works in this, as his stilted, limited range makes his character (a much less zealous version of Rex Banner from The Simpsons) seem naive and out of his depth in a way the character needed to be. S. Connery steals the show with his screen charisma when he’s onscreen as a grizzled Irish cop, so much you forgive his nonexistent ‘Irish’ accent. Worst thing performance-wise was R. De Niro, whose scenery chewing comes across as not-giving-a-fuck, where’s-my-paycheque end of the spectrum. 3/5.

Love and Monsters

Sort of like Zombieland, but with monsters (well, mutated large animals) instead of zombies, and – thankfully –  without the irritating prick Jesse Eisenberg. Wasn’t terrible, but rather, don’t know, flat? Like it needed more script revisions, and a plot twist you couldn’t see coming so far off. Wasn’t really all that funny either, unfortunately. 2/5.

What We Do In The Shadows

Amazon Prime

I am a huge fan (like most people) of the TV series which obviously borrows the exact same premise as the original film.  I was disappointed in this although, without the TV series, I'd have probably enjoyed it more.  Having watched the TV series first, nobody else will be right to play Lazlo (or Vlad) other than Matt Berry. The film version also doesn't have Colin Robinson or Nadia. The Viago character played by Taika Waititi is also a little different than Nandor.  It feels weird and just not right.

I know that the film version came first but the TV series just feels so much better; I guess they have a larger cast of characters and the time to do a lot more. But no Peter.

It's still a good film though and if you've seen neither, watch the film first and then the TV series.

3/5

17 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Come and See which is a Soviet era film about Operation Barbarossa, specifically here about the German invasion of Belorussia.  It was shot in the mid 80s which is about as far removed from World War 2 as we are from the mid 80s. It’s super low budget, some bits are surreal but there’s an extended scene towards the end which will probably live with me forever. Amazing stuff, providing you know what you are letting yourself in for.  

I watched this late last year after being on my watch list for decades due to the amount its talked about online. 

It's harrowing stuff. I couldn't stop thinking about the film afterwards. 

On 04/05/2021 at 00:28, Naysonymous said:

Is this on any of the streaming services? 

The Mitchells vs the Machines 

Great film. Couldn't really fault it, to be honest and the kids absolutely loved it. 

5/5 

On 04/05/2021 at 00:28, Naysonymous said:

No offence to Nelson Muntz and Naked Lunch, but this is the most inaccurately named film ever.

Stowaway

Quite enjoyed this - the stowaway in question really was very fucking careless but it asked some interesting questions in an Apollo 13-esque way.  Certainly nothing groundbreaking, but far more believable than the preposterous Netflix drama 'Away', when astronauts who had spent years training together suddenly start falling out over nothing.  At least the trust and respect the main 3 astronauts have in this is slightly less like a soap opera.

There are worse films to watch on a rainy Bank Holiday Monday.

3/5

Blow Dry

Apparently, this is similar to The Full Monty - Keighley is chosen to host the British Hairdressing Championships.  Spoiler - it really isn't.  It just doesn't work, despite a really good cast including Alan Rickman, Natasha Richardson, Bill Nighy and there's even a cameo from a young Stephen Graham.  It's all a bit silly, and doesn't really have the charm it's trying for.

Unfortunately, it also features THE worst attempt at an accent I have even seen/heard in a film.  Take a bow, Josh Hartnett - I *think* he's trying to do a Yorkshire accent, but it manages to jump between Bristolian, Geordie, Irish and South African, with the occasional American twang thrown in for good measure.  If you've seen Green Street and Charlie Hunnam's hilarious attempts to speak cockney, this trumps it and then some.  What I cannot fathom is why the director - or anyone WITH EARS working on this film - didn't say "this isn't working, Josh - just be American" or even recast the role to someone who could faintly pull it off is absolutely beyond me.

I wasn't sure whether to mark it up or down because of this.  It definitely mean poor Josh stands out in every single scene he's in, but I don't think it's for the reason he'd like.  

Watch this for Josh - but don't blame me if you find the overall film to be flatter than Suffolk.

1.5/5

5 hours ago, Festoon said:

No offence to Nelson Muntz and Naked Lunch, but this is the most inaccurately named film ever.

It’s a biblical reference to the apocalypse. The rider of the pale horse told people to come and see as he was fucking their shit up.  

Some forgotten films with great casts.......

Next of Kin

Swayze, Neeson, Hunt, Stiller, Paxton, Katsulas and Levine all pop up in this very obvious 80s cheesy thriller. Subtlety is most definitely not the order of the day here. It’s harmless enough but it’s also very average.

2.5/5

Heist

Hackman, DeVito, Lindo, Rockwell star in this excellent Mamet thriller. It’s a bit slow to get going, but the last two thirds of the movie fly by. It was energetic and well plotted with a great ending 

4/5

Under Suspicion 

Hackman, Freeman, Bellucci, Jane are all on top form in a this sharply directed effort from the director of A nightmare on Elm Street 5. It kept me guessing right up until the end and I had a good time with this.

3.5/5

Geronimo An American Legend

Studi, Hackman, Damon, Duvall, Patric and the brilliant McHattie all appear in this utter bore fest. I’m not a big fan of Hill as a director and this did little to change my viewpoint. It is so plodding and wastes an excellent cast. Nothing interesting happens at all. I’m still not sure why he is an American Legend.

1/5

Kingsman : The Secret Service

Comic Book James Bond with guts and swears. A thrill ride from the beginning to the outstanding finale. Great action scenes that don't lose sight of the plot. Pure Jimmy Bond for the Deadpool Generation.

4K HDR Disney+ for the old guys with fancy tellies generation. Its a looker.

5/5

John Wick was on streaming a while ago and I watched it, nice entertaining film not perfect but good performances and mostly good fx etc.   The central themes were fascinating and I loved the world building and when I went to watch the sequel I found John Wick 3 was available but not 2 so I have waited... til now

John Wick 2

After watching the first film I was fascinated as to how they would continue it as the original had a simple premise and seemingly wrote itself into a corner in terms of motivation for Wick to continue his "adventures". It was the perfect one and done film. Yes I know the first film ends before he has truly "finished" but that just felt like a gorgeous fait au complit that the film just ended and its obvious how it ended :D So I didn't have a clue how they could continue it.

It turned out that the filmmakers had no clue how they were going to do it either <_< During the first 30 mins the plot flails around trying to lash together some sort of motivation for Wick. It resorts to trying to tie up the end of the last film then bludgeons a new plot thread in and you can almost hear the writers screaming as they force the whole thing forward with little regard for Wick's character.

Once the stuttering plot fires on more than 1 cylinder it gets going again and sort of hangs together as the film stumbles from set piece to set piece to conclusion. The phrase style over substance has never been writ so large!

But that style is intoxicating. Keanu Reeves is fantastic as a force of nature (as ever) as is Ian McShane and the supporting cast is mostly pretty decent. The action is frenetic but not shot in that irritating staccato style with 200 cuts a second, it is mannered and stilted but it uses longer medium shots a lot instead of getting in super close ALL the time. The fx and car/bike work at the beginning was utterly superb and the barring one blot on the copybook the fx were brilliant. However the cgi blood squibs are just overused and annoyingly obvious. The world building continues here and is way better than the plot deserves. The threads of the world started in the first one that intrigued us are back and are winding around in the background to keep our attention.

I was going to give it a 3 but the whole film is just screenwriters trying to force Wick back in the game and it doesn't work for me.

Entertaining nonsense.

2/5

I'll still watch 3 and forget the horrible plot of 2 and just imagine there is another reason for him being "back". Oh and now John Wick 2 is on streaming obviously 3 is no longer on streaming :D so it will be a while before I review that!

EDIT - was tempted to give it an extra mark for giving a cameo to the mighty VIC-20 but logo wasn't displayed so sod them :D

Sound of Metal - 4/5

Absolutely brilliant. Amazing performances (especially from Riz Ahmed and I really loved the old Vietnam Vet) doesn't treat the audience like idiots and is just a delight. And sad. I was teary eyed on a few occasions. 

I loved the ending. Really loved the ending. They could have went a different (easy route) but it wouldn't have the same impact. 

Siberia

2018 Keanu Reeves "thriller" that probably popped up in my Prime Video recommends because I watched John Wick or something. Keanu is a diamond trader who gets involved in a dangerous deal which goes awry. Oh, and there's a romantic subplot in there that might be there for dramatic character tension but ultimately doesn't add a whole lot. You can tell that they're going for a slow-burn suspense-building thing, but there's no payoff and the film just kind of ends. It's rarely good when the credits roll and you think "that was it?"

1.5/5

Commando (1985)

It's really difficult to review a film that my 14 year-old self would describe as totally ace, and it is difficult to imagine how this would play out to modern audiences. When I was a kid my dad would talk about films like Rebel Without A Cause with the sort of reverence I'd speak about this. It struck him as a film that that young man would vibe with. I doubt kids these days would see Commando in the same league. But from my perspective this is ludicrous fun, eminently quotable, full of no-nonsense action and an efficient use of screen time. Today it feels cliched, if you were going to parody this sort of film it would feature a lot of what went on here, but that just goes to prove how amazing this film manages to capture action at the time. Those who were around at the time will understand. Anyone else will have to just make do. Ridiculous fun.

4.5/5

On 09/05/2021 at 01:08, Vimster said:

Commando (1985)

It's really difficult to review a film that my 14 year-old self would describe as totally ace, and it is difficult to imagine how this would play out to modern audiences. When I was a kid my dad would talk about films like Rebel Without A Cause with the sort of reverence I'd speak about this. It struck him as a film that that young man would vibe with. I doubt kids these days would see Commando in the same league. But from my perspective this is ludicrous fun, eminently quotable, full of no-nonsense action and an efficient use of screen time. Today it feels cliched, if you were going to parody this sort of film it would feature a lot of what went on here, but that just goes to prove how amazing this film manages to capture action at the time. Those who were around at the time will understand. Anyone else will have to just make do. Ridiculous fun.

4.5/5

It's the best film and that's all there is to it.  There are just so many great moments, like when Diaz was wrong or when Lawson was worried the bin men had missed him, or the discussion between Cooke and Forrestall about leather car seats in hot weather, or the 'wah wah wah waaaahhhh' noise Sully makes when Matrix has to let him go, or the magical self-repairing Porsche, or the super secret code to the shed armoury being 13, or how Bennett was only allowed to use tranquilisers due to health and safety regs on set when he'd rather have used the real thing, or when it was pay day, or when Sully checks out some passing hot ass while he's on the phone, or when an asian Michael Jackson impersonator runs out of the bar in the shopping mall, or when Bennett muses about cutting warm butter for his sandwiches, or when you can see the springboards that the stuntmen use during the final assault.  I could go on.

Shamone motherfucker.

Untitled.thumb.png.07e5bf7be7d5eea7cfae5409cd123561.png

Mogul Mowgli

Another fine performance from Riz Ahmed, this has a similar theme to Sound of Metal (a rapper on the cusp of hitting the big time suddenly develops an autoimmune neuromuscular disease) but is quite different in style. Good but didn’t quite have the emotional impact of SoM and left me a little cold overall.

3/5

Anti-life

Wow, this may take the debatable honour of being the worst film I have ever seen.  

They put Bruce Willis on the splash page but he's not here in body or spirit.  The films entire budget must have went on this as cgi/set everything else is total dog shit.

The plot could fit on a stamp, the acting would have been better with random off the street and the cgi looks like 90s era the ending, holy fuck I was expecting bad but I chuckled at just how ridiculous it was.

This is I think the ever time I would give a film 0 out of 10.

18 hours ago, Vimster said:

Commando (1985)

4.5/5

I've known of this film's reputation for a long time but had not personally seen it until a few years ago. I can see why people who grew up with it might be nostalgic about it. It's not bad, probably a 3 to 3.5/5 for fun 80s factor but not quite up to the more well known 80s films revered as classics. They certainly don't make films like it anymore, violent fun comedic action films.

Commando is one of the most subversive films ever, outwardly it's a straightforward actioner, but it's really about a gay man trying to escape from an annoying ex who can't accept the fact he was spurned by his lover. 

Okay, from perhaps the worst film in history to what is by far my favorite of recent years and we'll see how it holds up in coming years.

The Mitchell's vs the machines.  Its fantastic.  It has everything, competing story, interesting characters, unique animation.  Everyone should watch this.  It's debateably better than enter the spider verse because spiderverse has back story to tap into where as someone had to come up with Mitchell's vs the machines from scratch.

It's a perfect score film.  I can't find a bit I didn't like, it didn't have an ounce of fat in it to even complain about.

Hagazussa (2017)

This has been on my mental to watch list since a trusted friend raved about it after catching it at a festival or some such  two or three years ago so I finally watched it last night. 

If you liked The Witch (Hagazuzza is Old German for Witch) but fancied a slower, less wordy, take on a similar subject i.e. imagined (or real) witchery in a historical context (also featuring outcasts, a dark forest, black goats, and apples) then this German/Austrian medieval folk horror is the one for you!

This is more of a mood piece than Eggers' modern masterpiece and but, for me, may well be the better film (and I really, really like The Witch). I'll not go into the plot too much for fear of spoiling but the first third of the film is almost a social realist meditation on life (and death) in a medieval Alpine Germany community but the film soon becomes much darker and tragic. There is a suggestion of magickal revenge being wrought for wrong doings but, like The Witch, there is also plenty enough space left for it to not be a literal story at all and, really, this is a tale of stigmatisation, isolation, psychosis, revenge and cruelty in the medieaval world.

The film is held together by some breathtakingly beautiful visuals, often disturbing sound design, an ominous brooding score by Greek minimalists MMMD, and, above all,  an outstanding performance from the lead, Aleksandra Cwen, who is on screen for most of the films running time, usually alone and mostly wordless and is absolutely hypnotic.  There is an amazing visual connection with the natural world with some incredible shots of ancient alpine forests that range from the micro detail of maggots and mushrooms all the way through to epic panoramas revealing the surrounding mountains all scored by a throbbing, creeping score. As I say, it's as much a mood piece but is absolutely captivating if you can sink into it.

That this is a debut feature is astonishing as it is an incredibly accomplished piece of movie making. Lukas Feigelfeld has created a dreamy, hallucinogenic, study of madness in the old world that stands alongside any film I've seen in years.

There is a scene with a goat which was a worry...

5/5

Wanted (2008) - 2/5

So very post-Matrix, so very orange and blue.

I last saw this 2009 (it was my first ever LoveFilm DVD rental!), and I remember that I enjoyed its daft premise (the LOOM!) and ridiculous action (the RATS!). This rewatch was prompted because the Cinematic Universe podcast did an episode on the film adaptations of Mark Millar. But this time - like them - I found myself much less impressed by its action, and much less forgiving of its tone and edgelord attitude.

Now, the movie comes across as a trial run for Kingsman: there are several broad plot similarities involving fathers and sons, and secret organisations.

James McAvoy's character fluctuates a lot: one moment he's genre-savvy and taking things in his stride; the next he's disbelieving and skeptical. One moment he's making quips and telling people to fuck off while they're holding guns to his head; the next he's back to meekly apologising like he was at the start of the film. It does not make him an appealing character.

It's quite fun seeing Morgan Freeman as a baddie. But Angeline Jolie's Fox isn't much of a character; when it comes to superpowered women introducing nerdy guys to wish-fulfilment worlds of murderous gun-focused action, she's no Trinity.

Blow Out (1981) - 3.5/5

Believe it or not, this is the first Brian De Palma film I've seen other than Mission: Impossible and The Untouchables!

I know this is extremely well-regarded (Tarantino once called it one of his three favourite ever movies), and I did like it and appreciate it. But though it might sound shallow, I think

Spoiler

the downbeat ending

is what stopped me really loving it.

The Seven-Per-Cent Solution (1976) - 3/5

Nicholas Meyer (of Star Trek movie fame) adapted the screenplay of his own 1974 Sherlock Holmes novel. It initially seems like it's going to be a pretty serious depiction of Watson's attempts to cure Holmes of his drug addiction, and how Sherlock's paranoia has led him to believe that an innocent Moriarty is a criminal mastermind. So, Watson contrives to get Sherlock to Austria, where his addiction can be cured by Sigmund Freud and his Swinging Cartoon Watch Of Instant Hypnosis.

After Holmes' recovery (via the medium of some spoOoOOoky hallucination clichés), second-billed Vanessa Redgrave gets involved, and at last, Holmes is ready to get stuck into the real mystery element of the plot! Unfortunately, this aspect of the story is too insubstantial to be really satisfying. And before we know it, we're in an action-packed train chase/swordfight climax that wouldn't be out of place in the Guy Richie/Robert Downey Jr movies.

I liked Nicol Williamson's Holmes, Robert Duvall's accent didn't bother me (I seem to be alone in holding that opinion), and there are a couple of good deduction scenes. But it's too unbalanced to really consider it one of the great screen versions of Sherlock Holmes.

Lady Bird (2017) - 4/5

As a coming of age story, there's not much that's really unique or innovative about it. It's just executed really well.

The "give me a number for how much it cost to raise me" scene is the only time I noticed Saoirse Ronan's Irish accent slipping through. She's great in the role, as is Beanie Feldstein as her best friend; at times, the film came across to me like a more serious version of 2019's Booksmart.

Pierrepoint - 3.5/5

It seemed a bit low budget and more like a TV drama (it very much reminded me of A Is For Acid), but Timothy Spall managed to carry it with his usual beastly acting skills.

Wakefield - 4/5

I made a thread about this film years ago and got no replies :lol:it's a good film though. It does go in a bit of an unexpected direction, which isn't entirely successful, but there are a lot of proper great moments.