Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Detroit

Been on my list for ages.  Quite a long film at around 2.5hours but it flew by. Very tense and urgently shot. 

A hard watch at times which felt a bit like a horror movie in parts - particularly at the futility of what the people would have been feeling. Quite harrowing but could not turn away.  

4/5

On 18/02/2021 at 10:55, Clipper said:

The Wave (Bolgen was the original title)

3/5

On 18/02/2021 at 10:59, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

The Wave has a sequel titled The Quake (Norwegian: Skjelvet) and it's also worth a watch. Not amazing, but decent enough if you enjoyed the first film and it features the same cast and slow build up.

The Quake

Well I couldn't resist the sequel (eventually) and it looks higher budget and follows a similar path which somehow makes it not quite as good. I loved the first 20-30 mins and the whole obsession thing was brilliantly played and to be honest I could have watched a film that was just that... the aftermath of the Wave. The scenes between hma nd his daughter were just beautifully done, underplayed and subtle. At that point I was ready to plonk down a 4/5 if the rest of the film lived upto it.

As it was it then followed the plot of the first one and it was  a mix of brilliantly tense set pieces (as someone who isn't keen on heights I was climbing the furniture :D )with very good acting once the quake hit (sorry spoilers :D). Not so good was the wasted son subplot and the daughter of the geologist subplot which sort of petered out. Also the ending fell a bit flat as there were still some tension to wring out but they just skipped to the end :D

Like the wave it was a cracking little film , flawed but super impressive in places. It did what it did last time in making the human element the core that the "fancy fx" a nice glossy layer on top.

Soooo not quite as good as the first but still worth a

3/5

(the first one was bordering a 4/5 and this one is a fairly solid 3/5

Minari

Great film that enjoys telling you a story visually and aurally without the need for any "drama" (there is plenty that happens and plenty of drama but you know what I mean :D ). The themes are evocative and the imagery both down to earth and yet so beautifully shot that it just makes you want to drink it in. You can see why he has led them here. The film has so much heart and goodwill built into it even when it tackles harsher moments. I don't want to delve into the themes too much but I loved the way the film seamlessly shifted focus and protagonists as the story developed and the characters grew, rose and fell. It was like watching lives play out without the strict structure of a drama to drive it. Nothing flashy no grandstanding just bloody good story telling and a visual delight

Some fantastic performances all round but the Oscar for best supporting actress is well earned with such a fantastic and heart rending performance.

4/5

Sisters with Transistors - 5/5 (Modern Films)

This is a SUPERB doc about some of the key women involved in the development of electronic music and synthesiser technology, and it’s quite wonderful.

If names like Suzanne Ciani, Delia Derbyshire, Laurie Spiegel etc mean anything to you, this is an essential documentary, incredible footage and beautifully imaged to boot. And if those names don’t mean anything to you, then watch it twice! 

One for you @Don Rosco.

https://www.modernfilms.com/sisterswithtransistors

Thanks @ZOK, seen it already and it was brilliant. I’d say it might be up @Quest’s alley. 

I knew most of the artists well enough, but it’s really something seeing the amount of them. Titans in their field. Funny how it’s a genre where women thrive. I know Suzanne Ciani at least went for electronic music partly because it didn’t require collaboration, she was struggling a bit to be taken seriously as a female composer. 

Deadpool 2

More of the same with this time Deadpool trying to  direct a young mutant away from a path of evil or something. Plot isn't terribly important in these movies as they're just a vehicle for Reynolds to have a laugh and get paid for it. I've seen both and didn't enjoy the latter half of the 1st one , once the 4th wall breaking and toilet humor wore off it seemed a pretty run of the mill actioner. This though, was better, and I think that was mainly due to Cable's presence , he provided a straight man to Deadpool's  antics and as such found that this worked much better overall for the entire run time, don't think Colossus is up to the task. The x-force stuff was amusing and Domino's presence led to a pretty fantastic and enjoyable action sequence as well as her being an underdeveloped but still somehow decent character.

So overall, as mentioned, I thought this was better than the 1st and enjoyed this quite a lot 4/5.

3 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Every frame, sound, line of diallogue, musical note is an homage to the classic Westerns your dad grew up on. Every scene is a soliloquy of symbolism of the old west being laid to rest by the birth of the train and the building of America along with the coming forth of new forms of good vs bad. 

Having watched with the DVD commentary pointing out all the attention to detail and stories behind the direction, actors, score and influences made it beyond cinematic comparison.

They don't make them like this anymore/5.

Excellent review, I now know the next film I will be watching.

Not seen this in many years, the last time certainly being well before playing RDR2 which, of all things, gave me a new appreciation and interest in how the West was 'won'...

I also had never noticed that it was based on a story by Argento!

Nomadland

Seen about 8 of the Oscar nominated films for best picture so far and this has to be my least favorite. It's beautifully shot but just not my cup of tea. It's more of a deep character study with little tension, drama or story. 

2/5

The Black Windmill

One of the many lesser Michael Caine movies, but has a great shoot out in a windmill at the end. Plus, I love the way Caine answers the phone!

3 out of 5

9 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

The Black Windmill

One of the many lesser Michael Caine movies, but has a great shoot out in a windmill at the end. Plus, I love the way Caine answers the phone!

3 out of 5

What colour is the windmill at the end that the shootout is in?

On 27/04/2021 at 08:16, Don Rosco said:

Thanks @ZOK, seen it already and it was brilliant. I’d say it might be up @Quest’s alley. 

I knew most of the artists well enough, but it’s really something seeing the amount of them. Titans in their field. Funny how it’s a genre where women thrive. I know Suzanne Ciani at least went for electronic music partly because it didn’t require collaboration, she was struggling a bit to be taken seriously as a female composer. 

Yeah, this has been on my radar for a while. Need to get this house move over with and then I'll get it watched.

Sonic The Hedgehog

No cringe. Four or five genuine LOL moments with my boy. Not plastered with obligatory easter eggs all over. Carrey was great. Hopefully the sequel is just as good.

Watch it during a nice sunny evening.

4.5/5 - it's no 'Once Upon A Time in the West'.

12 hours ago, Fallows said:

Sonic The Hedgehog

No cringe. Four or five genuine LOL moments with my boy. Not plastered with obligatory easter eggs all over. Carrey was great. Hopefully the sequel is just as good.

Watch it during a nice sunny evening.

4.5/5 - it's no 'Once Upon A Time in the West'.

This was the last film I saw at an actual/real cinema. It wasn't as bad as I thought. 4.5/5 though. I thought a 2.5 or 3. 

The Fugitive - 3.5

The first third of this is still incredible. The pace is relentless. It wastes very little time setting up the story and setting up Tommy Lee Jones vs Harrison Ford. The special effects and stunt work during the prison bus/train scene are still fantastic to see. The film just flies by at a crazy pace until they get to Chicago. Then it falls apart quite abit. It could have been near perfect at 90 mins but it drags it out over 2 hours. Director Andrew Davis can't pull it off and the second half feels like an episode of your average 90s/00s CSI type tv show outside a couple of bright moments. 

Still for the initial escape by Ford, that runs alot longer than you remember. Plus the career defining performance by Tommy Lee Jones, which had so many great little moments as well as the big famous ones, its still an easy and very fun watch. Plus a half point for Joey Pants who adds an easy half point to every film he has ever been in.

Mitchell's Vs The Machines

(Netflix)

Sony Pictures Animation continue to ooze confidence in this superb take on the road trip, with more style, charm and whit than most studios can ever deliver. 

While this isn't as gob-smacking as Spiderverse it is still a work of unrelentingly crazy brilliance. Each act is more insane and amusing than the last and the film manages to nail its various messages without getting too cheesey or bogging down simple but well-delivered plot. The characters are all likeable, the humour is spot on and the set-pieces are all superbly crafted. 

I feel a little starved of quality family films at the moment so I might be overly gushing from our first watch, but I thought this was just wonderful from start to finish. 

Ps - the trailer shows you a bit too much, so go in fresh. 

5/5

Three the Hard Way

Jim Brown, Fred Williamson and Jim Kelly kill an insane amount of racist scumbags who want to poison the water supply to kill only non-whites. They've also kidnapped Jim's woman. These racist bozos should know never to make it personal.

4 out of 5

What @PeteJ said.

(Netflix)

Really funny. Really full of heart and my relationship with my middle daughter was so close, I had a bit of a teary last 15 minutes as although I'm not like the Dad, the daughter is exactly like mine. 

5/5

Things Heard And Seen.

This film i think it said at the beginning (feels a long time ago now) takes place in 1980. Perhaps if it was released in 1980 it could be forgiven for feeling so tired now. It's so on the nose It's hard to take seriously. Even the title is very on the nose isn’t it. Things are heard and seen, that is true. So on the nose that at one point Seyfried spots a bible on the shelf while tidying up late at night and flicks through, finding a family tree and list of deaths, one name scribbled out at the bottom with 'Damned' written down. 'Damned' says Seyfried. Is that not something like from a Resident Evil or am i seeing hokey horror where there isn’t any. 

As soon as i realised it was a supernatural horror of sorts and not a character drama i thought maybe i should give up and go no further. But i really liked The Nest recently and it's similar in many ways. Self centered professional leaves for new job, buying a big house in the country where his wife feels increasingly lonely. 

I've not seen James Norton in anything but he's so watchable in this and so perfectly cast it's a shame his young likeable and very charming professor is wasted in this. It's satisfying trying to work out his character, he's not a passive aggressive nice, he seems genuinely nice, and when he lies it's not like he's evading a horrible truth but providing another angle. 

I still sort of liked it though. There's a pleasant slowness to it. I don't think modern audiences, except extremely religious and catholic types are going to go with much of it though.

2.5/5

Shopping (1994)

Stylish but dated first feature from Paul W S Anderson. Jude Law with the assistance of Sadie Frost get into a ram-raiding rivalry with Sean Pertwee and crew; pretty basic story with basic characters. Sean Bean and Jonathan Pryce are wasted here. The film does have a great look, a riot aesthetic, spray-painted concrete in wet streets, random fires, smoke-swept decay, everyone wears leather jackets. It is trashy in a satisfying way. Decent 1994-era soundtrack too. The attitude does get tiring after a while, none of the characters are particularly likeable or have anything interesting to say, and the angst and nihilistic thrill-seeking don't really amount to anything, but then this isn't trying to say much beyond fuck you by all accounts.

3/5

2 hours ago, neoELITE said:

What @PeteJ said.

(Netflix)

Really funny. Really full of heart and my relationship with my middle daughter was so close, I had a bit of a teary last 15 minutes as although I'm not like the Dad, the daughter is exactly like mine. 

5/5

Also 5/5.

The sort of film Pixar wish they could make, instead of the tedious life lesson shite they serve up these days. Like with Wolfwalkers, it'll be depressing to see this lose the Oscar to Pixar's stale guff for 2021.

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse

This is one of the most stylish films I've seen in ages. I watched the entire thing with a big fat smile on my face. It's just so damn cool. The soundtrack and audio design in general is excellent. One to watch with headphones. Make sure you catch it before it leaves Netflix in a few days' time if you haven't seen it already.

4.5/5

A Star Is Born

Good old-fashioned storytelling done well; the fromage is strong, but tastes good.

Cooper and Gaga had genuine chemistry and omg can Gaga act.

Concert scenes felt very real - the scale was right and for the AV nerds there’s some great use of light and colour especially in Dolby Vision.

Scripting was nice and tight, and didn’t take people for total idiots regards exposition which I thought was good for a movie like this.

I personally would have preferred a longer third act.

Bonus points for Cooper bringing in his old Alias buddies for small parts, also for Cooper's ongoing Sly Stallone impression which made me laugh.

Galaxy Quest (1999)

Not seen this since about 2004, and it has to be said this has aged really well. A film with this premise could have been so lazily knocked out for a quick buck, but it's clear some actual effort went into this, from a sharp script that, unlike most big-budget comedy in 2021, doesn't rely on wacky ad-libs, to some great creature and ship designs. It gets dangerously near to sappy at times towards the end yet thankfully keeps that to a minimum. Attitudes to geek culture have changed a lot in the last 20 or so years, back in 1999 it was still looked down upon to an extent yet this handles it well, treating the source of inspiration with respect and redeeming the treatment of the obsessed fans at the convention. Honestly forgotten Sam Rockwell and Monk were in this too. Yes, was glad I watched this again.

4/5