Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

The Joker - 4.95/5

Spoiler

Everything was nigh on perfect before the murdering of Bruce Wayne’s parents. I get that it’s pet of the DC universe but it just felt so incredibly shoehorned in and completely unnecessary to what was otherwise a fantastic descent into chaos and madness.

After watching this reckon that nearly everyone is about 3-4 consecutive bits of bad news/luck before they go full Arthur.

Sound of Metal

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5363618/

Riz Ahmed is a drummer with a heavy metal band who starts to lose his hearing. I'd been looking forward to this one but found it a bit empty. Everything happens the way you expect it to - there's no conflict or tension anywhere except with the character himself. 

The acting, sound design and visuals are all top drawer but I wasn't really engaged and was kind of bored by the end. 

2/5

Superman 2

Blimey, what a fantastic onscreen duo Reeves and Hackman were. Just perfect as opposing forces. Add in Stamp as Zod  and its a perfect mix. Great action, a great love story and to top it all off..

KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

5/5

Chaplin

This is somewhat of a forgotten gem. RDJ wins a BAFTA and gets his only ever best actor Oscar nomination for what is perhaps his finest performance. Skilfully directed by Attenborough and with a great supporting cast (especially Kline) the only thing that lets it down is a sometimes too obvious script. 

Also, he gets to marry most of my favourite ladies from the 90s. Jovovich, Tomei, Anne Miller, Lane and Nancy Travis. 

4.5/5

Ava on Netflix

Appalingly bad film in every way possible. Cringeworthy acting at times. Like a cheap 90's B movie but made by a film student with no sense of humour. What the fuck is Chastain doing in this utter bilge? Common is in it and he plainly can't act, or is edited to appear as if he can't. 

Relentlessly terrible.

-1/5

13 hours ago, Festoon said:

Ava on Netflix

Appalingly bad film in every way possible. Cringeworthy acting at times. Like a cheap 90's B movie but made by a film student with no sense of humour. What the fuck is Chastain doing in this utter bilge? Common is in it and he plainly can't act, or is edited to appear as if he can't. 

Relentlessly terrible.

-1/5

It's a bit cheese, but  I enjoyed it :blush:

On 08/12/2020 at 13:37, acidbearboy said:

Gremlins

Not seen this since I was a kid, remember a few of the key scenes but the rest of it didn't do much for me. 

2/5

I remember seeing it at the cinema when it first came out and it seemed quite outrageous at the time. Sadly it’s not aged too well and is pretty tame by today’s standards.

Water (1985)

Pleasant comedy involving the goings-on on a small Caribbean island that has an abundance of spring water. Farce-like plot with various factions and interests competing to exploit the island: rebels led by a singing Billy Connolly, inept UK government minister Leonard Rossiter, an American corporation, an environmentalist and more besides. That's the real issue, it starts off fine enough but introduces too many other bits as it goes on which whilst adding to the general light comedy air, robbed it of solidity. Michael Caine was perfectly fine as the island's laid-back governor. The soundtrack fit the bill.  And you get Ringo Starr and George Harrison playing together again, with Jon Lord on keys. Okay Eric Clapton too but whatever. It's all very easy-going, lightweight stuff but no worse off for that.

3/5

Year of the Dragon

After Heaven's Gate bankrupted UA Michale Cimino somehow convinced a studio to give him more money to make another film. I guess he still had some Deer Hunter cache left. This was the result.

A crime thriller, starting Mickey Rourke as an NYPD detective who takes on the Chinese mafia. I thought this was really good but also a bit of a mess. 

Rourke is excellent ,and ridiculously handsome, as Stanley White - a polish American cop out to take on all of Chinatown. He comes up against corruption and inertia at City Hall and finds himself under constant pressure to drop his crusade. He teams up with a journalist and together they wage a war on the Chinese mob.

First off, this looked absolutely amazing. Reading a bit about the film it was filmed on sets and backlots but it looks exactly like it was filmed in NY in the mid 80's. Every shot is full of detail and character, there's so much life and vibrancy here you can feel the texture of the city. There's a sequence where a Chinese gangster travels out to Vietnam to source heroin for import - there must be 500 extras in every shot. I'm sure it cost a fortune and doesn't really add anything to the film. But it looks stunning. The acting is excellent from all the leads and there's loads of great 80's faces giving a real depth to every scene, it's beautifully filmed and has a great synth sound track.

It's not all good though. There's a nasty seem of racism running through the script, for a 2 + hour run time the story is pretty slight. Bits make no sense - the journalist Rourke teams up with works for a local TV news channel but lives in a giant penthouse that looks like it should be home to a billionaire. 

I really enjoyed this, you can see how easily directors could burn through money in those days when they were given the freedom to do whatever they wanted with their budgets. But they surely don't make them like this any more. 

4/5  

Seem to be watching a lot of Handmade Films productions lately...

Nuns On The Run (1990)

Everyone knows this one: Eric Idle and Robbie Coltraine are two low-level gangsters who find themselves hiding out in a convent to avoid, well, everyone really. Once again this is a strong premise that's let down by a bitty script. There were laughs now and again within the meandering plot, but it's the last section in the hospital where everything comes together and works brilliantly. This was much hyped at the time but whilst it is a pleasant watch it can't stand against other Handmade Films output like Time Bandits or Withnail and I.

3/5

Megalodon (2018)

How dare the producers of The Meg encroach on The Asylum's patch with their bigger budget and star names! It's a shame then that Megalodon doesn't deliver the sort of Asylum-style thrills as expected, instead the mega-shark just periodically influences some bland plot about an American navy ship with some 80s Russians aboard. It rams the boat now and again, there's some daring do and Independence Day-style inspirational bollocks, but The Asylum can do better, really.

2/5

3 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Eh? She’s Kristen Stewart’s girlfriend!

Edit: I’m talking bollocks clearly. She did look like Zooey though, although I’d probably had too much mulled wine by that point :lol:

Confusing Zooey Deschanel with the far superior Mackenzie Davies?? Ban request :-D

Anything For Jackson

Starts out dry cartoony fun, rides the line quite well, but it can't keep it up, the balance soon tips and the tone gets tiresome.
The film feels like a half arsed collection of cheap set pieces a lot of the time. Starts to get back on track towards the end though.
The actress who plays the old woman is canny good, while I was watching, I couldn't help feeling like she deserved to be in a better film!
Some good ingredients but it doesn't quite come together.

American Utopia 5/5

Been waiting ages for a chance to see this show. And now, thanks to Spike Lee’s brilliant filming of the show in its Broadway run, I have. And it’s magnificent. David Byrne has (once again) made the definitive filmed concert.