IGNORED

MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

What Mister components do I need to buy to be able to run any core/game? I'd want a proper PSU, case, switched on/off, ethernet (if that's a thing for this?) and so on. I don't have a CRT or PVM if that makes any difference to which parts I need, although if it's not too much more expensive I might consider keeping my options open. And I'm in the UK if that makes a difference on the best places to pick up things from.

52 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

What Mister components do I need to buy to be able to run any core/game? I'd want a proper PSU, case, switched on/off, ethernet (if that's a thing for this?) and so on. I don't have a CRT or PVM if that makes any difference to which parts I need, although if it's not too much more expensive I might consider keeping my options open. And I'm in the UK if that makes a difference on the best places to pick up things from.

https://www.misterfpga.co.uk

You want a Terasic DE10-Nano before anything else. It has onboard ethernet, although I find the little WiFi dongle for a tenner does away with the need for a bulky/ugly cable sticking out the front.

128MB SDRAM module.

Mean Well PSU with inline switch.

The copper heatsink cooler.

Analog I/O board for the buttons and VGA/analog output for if you one day pick up a PVM/CRT. I went with the Noctua fan build.

USB hub.

A reputable SD card.

An enclosure or top and bottom plates to get started.

I think that's everything I started with, and it's still everything I have to date (excluding controllers, adapters, external DAC and headphone amp).

IMG-20210402-000328-1.jpg

IMG-20210417-135252.jpg

I'll add this here too just in case anyone wants a couple of my old parts, just added some freebies to my for sale thread in Trading...

Makerspot 4 port OTG USB Hub.

Wooden top and bottom plates (I think they need some posts, might be good if you fancied changing out your existing acrylic plates?).

Couple of fans.

Due my current case being fully enclosed, it's not easy for me to test any of this stuff out.

1 hour ago, Superunknown said:

de10 , comes with its own psu , Hdmi & Ethernet Ports built in

usb board that fits under the de10

128mb ram module ( to play all Neo geo games) 

top plate and fan, heat sink 

inline switch if you really want one 

micro sd card, ideally 256gb or more if you like cd games

bluetooth dongle if you need it for a keyboard 

decent usb 2.4g WiFi controller w/dongle like 8bitdo m30

you do not need a new psu

you do not need a case

You do not need the i/o board , don’t bother with it 

in the U.K., get them from mister fpga co U.K.

On 24/06/2022 at 17:08, Ninja Doctor said:

The only other thing I could suggest is that I see you have the inline power switch. Some of them are known to cause voltage drops. Try running it without that. 

Tested the cabling. 5.27V out of the psu, same at the splitter ends. Powered up I’m seeing 5.10V at the DE-10 barrel jack with the splitter plugged in. 

So I guess it’s not the switch? 

Your memory needed to be jiggled to work properly and memtest is failing at expected speeds so pretty sure it’s not the inline switch. 

By all means try without, but I can’t say using one, (or the original PSU) has caused issues. 

Yep agree. I’ve been in contact with the supplier and they’ve been good about it, no issues with an exchange but I wanted to try a few things before doing that. 

If you guys didn't know, VRR has been added to the MiSTer project: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/commit/0a5488d48f8195e17688c81c7871867648b964df

I think, in order to enable it, you need to add vrr_mode=1 (which auto detects it through EDID(?)) to your MiSTer.ini file. The latest ini file is here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/blob/master/MiSTer.ini (I had to add mine, so not sure if the mister.ini file is updated with update_all?)

The upshot of VRR is that cores with weird refresh rates now work in low latency mode (single buffer video mode), so cores like Track & Field now works flawlessly for my CX Oled when vsync_adjust=2 is enabled.

• 2 weeks later...

Are people still advocating `update_all` or is it better to stick to the official `update` option?

I get that update_all also pulls in things like BIOS files. I haven't used it yet and have done that manually.

For the coders here.. I wonder if it's a bit like using rsync instead of a git pull, and could leave stuff out of sync wth the update tool's versioning?

I’m far from a power user or anything and have only used my MiSTer to play Arcade, Neo Geo and PC Engine games (but I do use it a lot).

I’ve used update_all from day one of building mine a few months ago and I’ve had zero issues. It works flawlessly in my perhaps limited experience.  

update_all runs the main update script and a bunch of others, like the BIOS stuff, and one for Jotego’s cores so it’s easier to use that and toggle the different features on and off. 

The update function itself for the main cores and has been superseded by a new downloader anyway and update_all uses that downloader. 

I used to do the BIOS stuff manually, then I ran the update_all version and wondered why I bothered finding files and trying to get their names right!

I absolutely love being drip-fed stuff like this. It’s a big part of the charm with being so relatively early with the project.

I’m looking forward to so much stuff it’s unreal. Nothing in any way niche either, so it’s just a matter of time.

11 hours ago, thegreathopper said:

Nice, Garrega should follow.

I suspect it will follow (it's one of the games on my wish list) but it may be a little while before we see it based on the core author's recent tweet, I'm reading between the lines though. I'm under the impression he's not allowing the general public to view his tweets so I've quoted it relating to Garrega.

Spoiler

I just found out that supporting Garegga with the current code involves deleting a ton of stuff. Not really moving much around, but there's removal of the dma controller and graphics banking and then a new sound module that's similar to batrider, then rewiring.

Pramod Somashekar

@pr4m0d

It's a much simpler design and less customs involved. It is interesting how this design was cloned, and a bootleg PCB does exist (I also own the bootleg PCB for compare). But the data is small by comparison to Bakraid and Batrider.

I was able to barely fit Bakraid in 32mb of SDRAM (it comes out to about ~30. Batrider is around 20. Garegga has 8mb of gfx, which fit nicely in one bank. And all the other stuff fits in another bank.

For Bakraid, I created a banking system for the PCM data because I could not fit it all neatly in one bank. So I stuck some of it with the prog roms and then have 2 banks for gfx, and another for the rest of the PCM. Batrider fits neatly in 3 banks.

And yes, I am doing an educational series of posts, hopefully resurrecting my website, where I'll give some background on the raizing system and it's functions, and then putting together the core. Though I can't possibly cover all the nuances of the boards in these posts.

Talking of being drip-fed games. seems like Jotego may have a treat in store for us next week.

Crikey. There’s one! Hopefully Power Drift and Super Hang-On not long after!

We’re back in the UK for our holiday next week, so chose a good time there. Oh well, I’ll be bringing the MiSTer along anyway as it’s so compact. 🥰 Gonna flex it to my mum. I reckon I can get her onboard with one.

The greatest arcade game of them all..! The NTSC-J Saturn SEGA Ages with its 60fps mode is hard to beat but the real arcade… it’s got to be close!

Recently I’ve been enjoying AvP, Gunstar Heroes, GunHed, Super Star Soldier, Ridge Racer, Tatsujin, Parasol Stars… absolutely love this thing 😃