IGNORED

MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

30 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

I power one of my MiSTers from an Anker 5 port USB power supply and a USB to barrel jack adapter!

Not many peripherals though, just WIFI and some 2.4GHz and Raphnet adapters.

I have one of those on the shelf directly above my MiSTer and I didn't even think about using it! What sort of hardware configuration are you running?

Thanks, sounds very similar to mine- analogue I/O board, WiFi and Logitech dongles and a Raphnet adapter too. Trying to get MT32-Pi running as well so I might need to split the cables as you suggest.

I'm considering selling my Super NT and Mega SG because I can't see a time when I'd use them assuming I'll always now have a MiSTer. At the moment they're just expensive ornaments.

I'll bare you mind should I finally come to that decision.

1 hour ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I’m giving serious thought to selling up my mister. All I use it for really is snes so a super nt would probably be a better fit (if I could ever get hold of one). 

MiSTer is more configurable and actively maintained than the Super Nt and I say this as an owner and a fan of both. It took Analogue over a year to address ongoing issues with big games like FFVI. It's a nice little console but playing original carts on it is the only advantage I can see in 2022. My Super Nt, Mega Sg and Nt Minis have all been returned to their boxes since MiSTer arrived.

I’m also in the same boat as a Super NT / Mega SG owner. Since getting the MiSTer, they’ve become largely redundant- although I do own several carts - I’d rather have an easily accessible library on the machine. 
I can’t bring myself to sell them though, as they’re cool things that I bet I’d never be able to get again if I changed my mind. 

Never owned a Super NT (although probably would’ve gotten one had they been widely available), but TBH once I’ve built my MiSter,* my Super Famicom/Super NES software collection is the last part of my modest physical retro collection that I’d ever part with. I don’t think I’ll ever consider it topped as my favourite games system ever.

* should be getting my DE10 Nano next month, according to the latest update on my Mouser order!

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Never owned a Super NT (although probably would’ve gotten one had they been widely available), but TBH once I’ve built my MiSter,* my Super Famicom/Super NES software collection is the last part of my modest physical retro collection that I’d ever part with. I don’t think I’ll ever consider it topped as my favourite games system ever.

* should be getting my DE10 Nano next month, according to the latest update on my Mouser order!

order your de10 direct instead

At last, it lives! This thing is as awesome as everyone says!

73072A78-10E4-4375-8EB1-FF251D1D2C22.thumb.jpeg.bb23325b5f5b66e90ffd97b70921182e.jpeg

54180D25-B91D-43A2-BF70-21E6CED1DB5D.thumb.jpeg.9829821a656dbf501c4d89d331141183.jpeg

19DE2651-D1C4-4E28-A5AA-1D26B481E857.thumb.jpeg.f8c71781ff56ca619b08a89a914cd876.jpeg

503B35B9-C78D-4CB9-A0A1-7325AC7CD8CA.thumb.jpeg.c5f6aa7a6f78da18258eed94704b6886.jpeg

SD-RAM module is a bit tetchy, I tried the PSX core pretty early but when I came back to it after some MD it wouldn’t boot. 

Thought it might be the BIOS, turned out that no RAM modules were being detected 🤷‍♂️

Tried re-seating it multiple times, finally found a position it likes.. not very confidence inspiring! 

Ignoring that.. it’s so, so good! 

6 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Two general questions for everyone: What RAM module do you need for the PS1 core, and is an N64 core in the works somewhere?

Nearly everyone is using a 128mb SDRAM nowadays. I'm under the impression that the PS1 core should work fine with the older 32mb versions although I can't confirm this.

There is no N64 core in the works, at least not one that anyone is willing to admit to. It's widely acknowledged that the Cyclone V on the DE10 just isn't big enough. Plus, with the gigaleak from a year or so back that contained the N64 FPGA sourcecode I think that no one wants to touch the N64 and attract Nintendo's attention. There was some N64 developement work done on an other FPGA dev board prior to that leak, but that has gone quiet. A link to the dev's Youtube channel is here if you want to see what progress was made.

The only ram module restriction that I know of is that you need at least a single 128mb module with two chips on to run the alpha Saturn core. It does something funky with using both chips simultaneously or something. 

2 hours ago, Vimster said:

Is 128mb the max memory that could be used or is there any likelihood of this increasing in the future?

Potentially only for Saturn but that's not confirmed yet. MiSTerAddons is working on a new dual-RAM analogue I/O board that would handle it, if required.