IGNORED

MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

Symphony of the Night is a great game. It's not the same game as Super Metroid at all - it's comparatively messy and unfocused - but that's actually its strength. You can feel the developers shoehorning every idea they had in there making a glorious mess of fun stuff. Alucard can equip platform shoes making him a pixel taller? Why not. Secret (pretty powerful) Street Fighter inputs? Of course.

2 hours ago, Phantoon said:

Symphony of the Night is a great game. It's not the same game as Super Metroid at all - it's comparatively messy and unfocused - but that's actually its strength. You can feel the developers shoehorning every idea they had in there making a glorious mess of fun stuff. Alucard can equip platform shoes making him a pixel taller? Why not. Secret (pretty powerful) Street Fighter inputs? Of course.

Totally agree with this! 
I recent played it for the first time (on OG hardware with an NTSC-U disc I bought over 20 years ago and never played 😂) and very much enjoyed it, although - whisper it! - I think Bloodstained is a far better and very similar game. 

Can someone take a close up photo of the shadow masks in effect, please? I've downloaded Atrac17's presets, but they still look like clown ass compared to the regular scanline filters. Maybe they would look better if they were adapting to whichever resolution it was they were trying to mimic, which they absolutely aren't. It's just random lines (or dots) dumped on the screen.

I've actually never seen these things in effect anywhere before.

On 15/05/2022 at 18:35, Tomdominer said:

Just to follow up on this. I've tried the setting you recommended and they didn't look great for me.

I'm running a resolution of 2048x1536 @60hz (I also tried 720p, but that seemed to totally mess up the scale-line scaling).

MiSTer_FFight_Shadow_Mask_2.thumb.jpg.c66f720ee22009bc5c6a8e8b80f4acb7.jpg

MiSTer_FFight_Shadow_Mask.thumb.jpg.49442e17cd120af98737a3f95db4f042.jpg

I just find that with both horizontal and vertical scanlines active, the pixels are too accentuated, and its too dark overall. I don't really like most of the shadowmasks on offer, but I do like the "Sony PVM (Generic) (~1980)"

Here are my settings. Mileage may vary...

Horz. filter: No Interpolation.txt

Vert. filter: Scanlines - Brighter.txt

Scan filter: Same as Vert

Gamma correction: Contrast_Boost_1.txt

Shadow Mask: 1x - Sony PVM (Generic) (~1980)

EDIT: Typo on the image, sorry. Should be "Horizontal & Vertical Scanlines", like Fallows.

I just went back to find this post, thanks a lot. Your results on the far right there look great. The shadowmask seems to be running its integer and the vertical scanlines are supplementing the TVL aspect of a proper CRT. They're not adopting the horizontal integer like my jumbotron setting does, but then real CRTs don't do that either.

Mine isn't doing any of this at all right now.

4 minutes ago, ulala said:

Why are horizontal scanlines vertical, and why are vertical scanlines horizontal?

Don't worry. I'm thinking the exact same thing right this moment while messing around at my side.

This is what's been throwing me off all this while. I'm already generating promising results.

Yeah, it seems backwards, and took me a while to get it looking ok. The one reason I knew it could look good, was that originally the scaleline overlay stuff didn't include vertical lines. I am still slightly perplexed as to why you HAVE to enable vertical lines (and then not use them) in order to enable horizontal lines. I guess its just a quirk of how the system is written...

First of all, don't try viewing these pictures on anything other than a phone where you can zoom in. They look wank on my desktop.

Second, I worked out that the HDMI 3 port on the Samsung does v-sync_adjust=2. Happy days.

IMG-1909.jpg

So now the new shadowmask findings... For comparison here's the PVM:

IMG-1906.jpg

The vertical filtering on the MiSTer can't quite make it. It'll probably take many more vertical lines to match the analogue output of the CRT, see the two lapels on Locke's jacket, one is thicker than the other (3 lines vs. 2 lines...):
IMG-1904.jpg

This can be resolved by not forcing 256px, but then the aspect ratio is way too narrow to enjoy:
IMG-1908.jpg

In order to throw out these two compromises I opted for a slot mask instead. The offset verticality is still there, but not nearly as noticeable:

IMG-1913.jpg

The slot mask just looks better all-round:

IMG-1921.jpg

Sorry for the shit photos. Can't quite be arsed getting the DSLR out for this. I'm just glad to get the shadow(slot) masks working finally. Thanks @Tomdominer!

Here are my settings:

IMG-1920.jpg

9 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Stuff:

No worries. Only understood about half of what you are talking about, but I'm glad I've helped.

Also, interesting about a different HDMI input taking the sync. I'm gonna try my other HDMI inputs and see if that helps!

41 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Oh, also, found this presets in a github. Probably worth downloading and trying!

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Presets_MiSTer

Cheers. I'd already tried Atrac17's presets, but other than his .ini tweaks scaling the screen up perfectly for 1440p (under some cores) they were gash.

I'd actually started creating some of my own presets so that I don't have to waste time applying them to each and every arcade core, so maybe the guy you linked to would accept them as submissions.

I'm still tweaking, btw:

IMG-1922.jpg

IMG-1928.jpg

IMG-1929.jpg

IMG-1933.jpg

IMG-1931.jpg

I can't wait to try this on the OLED.

I've settled on this for today. Here's a link to my preset if anyone's interested. Just drop this into the Presets folder and select from within each core accordingly. This is made with Atrac17's integer modelines tweaks in effect, so apply those to your MiSTer.ini (or MiSTer_alt.ini) first.

I'm looking at writing this into the MiSTer.ini so that it defaults for everything without the need to select it at all, but I'm struggling a bit at the minute.

Cracked it. Just add this to the MiSTer.ini, or, you can edit with your own settings in here and say goodbye to having to mess with the video processing menu for each and every new core you try.

; Default filters for video scaler. Paths must be relative to "Filters" folder without leading slash.
vfilter_default=Composite Blend/Comp_Blend_H_025.txt
vfilter_vertical_default=Scanlines - Adaptive/SLA_Dk_060_Br_060.txt
vfilter_scanlines_default=<some_file>

; Default shadow mask
shmask_default=Simple (Monochrome)/RetroTink/Slot.txt

; Default shadow mask mode:
; 0 - none, 1 - 1x, 2 - 2x, 3 - 1x Rotated, 4 - 2x Rotated
shmask_mode_default=1

There doesn't seem to be a way to add the gamma correction to the main .ini just yet.

On 05/05/2022 at 20:19, bignige said:

De10 Nano arrived and now built and cores working. 
Does anybody else have issues with booting up? Sometimes it’ll take several tries for it to start properly after plugging it in. 
Unplugging it, reseating the micro sd card usually ends up with it loading correctly. 

I've had this issue. All I can work out is that it depends on what is plugged into it, and thus might be a current or voltage thing...

2 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Raphnet Dual Shock 1/2 to USB adapters finally back in stock for anyone wanting one for the PlayStation core

https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/psx_to_usb/index.php

So much for my email alerts! Thanks for posting this.

Related- Raphnet aren't offering cheaper shipping options at the moment, so postage from Japan costs almost as much as the adapter itself. Might be worth buying a couple of things from him, if needed.

I can’t even buy in bulk for the rest of us. Customs doesn’t make it worthwhile at all.

So much stuff I want could be doing with European (and now I suppose British) distribution.

57 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

I've had this issue. All I can work out is that it depends on what is plugged into it, and thus might be a current or voltage thing...

Nothing else is plugged into it with regards to add on boards - just power supply, hdmi and sd card. 

53 minutes ago, bignige said:

Nothing else is plugged into it with regards to add on boards - just power supply, hdmi and sd card. 

probably a card problem then

I've noticed the default 5V 2A adapter isn't enough to power several USB devices art the same time, e.g. wireless keyboard and wireless mouse plus joystick. Can anyone recommend a better one?

2 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

So much for my email alerts! Thanks for posting this.

Related- Raphnet aren't offering cheaper shipping options at the moment, so postage from Japan costs almost as much as the adapter itself. Might be worth buying a couple of things from him, if needed.

Yeah, I paid 1/2 the price in shipping and there’ll be €10 VAT and charges. Not ideal. 

On power… I’d love to find a 5V 4A internal PSU with its own switch that could go in a custom case… but that seems a pretty big ask! 

Most people looking for reliable power seem to go for the Mean Well external brick.

On 15/05/2022 at 21:57, Klatrymadon said:

Any ideas as to why my update_all script keeps getting stuck at this specific step in the 'MAME-GETTER' process?

https://imgur.com/a/U3rLYZc

I've tried letting it run for a couple of hours, so I don't think it's a matter of waiting for the download to finish, sadly.

Also, is there a way to turn off the resolution/kHz info that pops up in the top left whenever the screen mode/refresh rate changes? It's handy to have but I find with the PSX core I'm constantly tapping the OSD button to get rid of it. :P

Thanks!

Sorry, all I ever seem to post in here are tech questions, but I've acquired some new issues since switching to 'downloader.sh' for updates. Most of my arcade games keep getting stuck at the 'assembling ROM' stage, seemingly indefinitely, and both Neo Geo cores (I have the official one and an older 'unstable' one) are showing garbled graphics in a way that almost looks like an anti-piracy measure! Games will often show logos and text perfectly clearly, but seem to consistently scramble anything more important, heh. 

I don't suppose anyone has a scooby?

Thank you!

I'm afraid I can only answer one of your questions @Klatrymadon. In the main MiSTer.ini file there is a setting you can change to reduce the time that info in the top left appears for. Search for "video_info=*" and change the * to the lowest setting, and I'm sure 0 does work to eliminate it altogether despite the blurb saying the range is from 1-10. I haven't tried this but you could possiblly set it to do this only for the PS1 core by entering the folllowing at the end of your ini file

[psx]
video_info=0

As far as I'm aware, Update_All is now using the newer download.sh script and has been for a little while. Personally, I haven't noticed any issues. I succesfully got the new Pang core earlier and that's working fine. Just tried some Neo Geo stuff and all is good there for me. To my knowledge the Update_All / Download.sh is only getting the RBF file for the console cores and nothing else so I can't really say what's going on. Possilbe corrupted downloads maybe? All I can suggest is try deletiing the Neo Geo core (keeping a backup in case it's an older version you prefer to have) and running the updater again. Sorry I can't be of any more help.

I'm having a bit of an intermittant problem with the MiSTer myself at the moment, but it's more hardware related. It seems as if my USB hub isn't powering on everytime I turn on the MiSter, meaning receivers, keyboards, mice and the hard drive are not turning on. And this is while using the Mean Well power adapter that everyone seems to favour nowadays. It's random, sometimes it works and everything comes on while other times it doesn't. Switching receivers around sometimes helps to kick it back into action but it's starting to take longer to get everything operational. Annoying!

On a lighter note for everyone else, here's a new beta for you all to try ... Armed Police Batrider

Thanks very much, @shiffy! The weird thing is that 'mame-getter' no longer works properly whether I use the standalone script or 'update_all', so it looks like I won't be able to pull roms automatically any more.

Speaking of which, I can't get Batrider working - a real shame, as this beta release already presents the best way to play the game at home! I have the .mra file for the USA version in '_Arcade' (and all the rest in the alts folder), the .rbf file in '_Arcade / _Cores', and basically every version of the rom in 'games / mame'. I haven't added a game manually in quite a while, but these are the correct steps, right?

Thanks!

I think that might be a good idea - now several of my updater scripts are simply booting me back to the main menu after a second or two. Bizarre! Maybe the first 'mame-getter' failure caused a load of files to become corrupt, or something...

Yeah, its also the classic "turn it off and on again" solution to 99% of computer problems.

You don't need any mame stuff in the games folder as well, just your collection of console and computer games...