MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

Anyone know how to set up an equivalent of the PC Engine's autofire switches? Changing to 6-button mode seems to automatically assign a couple of buttons to autofire, but obviously that interacts very strangely with most of the games...

1 hour ago, Klatrymadon said:

Anyone know how to set up an equivalent of the PC Engine's autofire switches? Changing to 6-button mode seems to automatically assign a couple of buttons to autofire, but obviously that interacts very strangely with most of the games...

There's an auto-fire function built in to the MiSTer: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/Input-devices#auto-fire

Any defined button (except d-pad) supports auto fire feature. To activate auto fire, press and keep desired button and then quickly press the button defined as "BUTTON OSD"(for joystick) or "KBD TOGGLE"(for keyboard). To deactivate auto fire, repeat the the same procedure.

@KlatrymadonTo set the autofire hold the button you want autofire to be set to and press the menu button, you'll see the message "autofire: off" or "autofire **ms". You can set the **ms to suit the game, this goes up in increments of 32ms. To adjust the autofire speed up hold right on the dpad and press the menu button, to adjust it down hold left on the dpad and press the menu button.

If you want a scenario where you have button I & II set to autofire, but then have those buttons duplicated on the same joypad but without autofire then there is a way to do that as well. It's a little more convoluted, but if you want to know how to do it let me know! R-Type Complete springs to mind for this scenario.

Edit: - Forgot to mention, it's best to set the core control option to 2 buttons instead of 6 buttons unless absolutely necessary (SFII as an example).

Thanks, both! Yeah, I'm keeping it in 2-button mode, if only because 6-button messes with the directional inputs on any 2-button game in Mister (for me at least). 

@shiffy please do tell! Assuming a layout like that of the Hori Fighting Stick PC or the Avenue Pad, something like auto on IV and V and normal shots on III and II would be ideal for my needs. Cheers!

@KlatrymadonI'm going to base these instructions assuming you're using a SNES style controller (8bitdo SN30 or equivalent)

Go to the "define buttons" option within the PC Engine core. Define the buttons as you normally would (on a Snes pad, the PCE button 1 = A on SNES pad, PCE button II = SNES pad button B. You'll continue to define the rest of the buttons as if it's a 6 button pad.

When prompted "Do you want to set up alternative buttons" select YES.

Go through the same procedure again, only this time pressing the MENU button so that left, right, up & down are left undefined. When you get to PCE button I then define that as X on the SNES pad, for PCE button II define that Y on the SNES pad. For the rest of the buttons press the MENU button again until you've finished defining the buttons.

With this setup buttons B & Y are both PCE button I, and A & X are PCE button II. You can now select your X & Y buttons tto have autofire on while A & B don't.

I hope these instructions are clear enough, easy to do but not easy to explain! LEt me know how you get on.

That's perfectly clear - thanks a lot! Sadly during the 'alternative buttons' setup, after skipping up, down, left and right, it won't accept anything as button I, and just acts as if I haven't pressed anything. If I skip that, it does the same for the next button, and so on. I'll try some other controllers and see if I have any better luck with those!

That's weird, I can't explain why that's happening. I'll see if I can recreate your issue in the morning. What joypad are you currently using with the MiSTer?

You're welcome, Klatrymadon. Always happy to help out when it comes to the MiSTer. I don't have any Brook devices to test with so this will remain a "MiSTery"!

Yeah, the main selling point of this board is its hyper-compatibility with everything under the sun, so I'm not sure what the sticking point is!

Edit: by the way, I accidentally clicked 'reset player assignment' whilst Marvel Super Heroes was on, and the game reset and now gives a black screen on boot-up, as if the rom isn't there. I assume 'reset player assignment' has to do with controller order, or setting up 2nd/3rd/4th controllers - any idea why it might cause this? (This isn't a big issue for me at the moment, just thought I'd see if anyone knew...)

Again, I have no idea what might have caused this. Just tried to recreate your Marvel Superheroes issue by clicking on "rest player assignment. In my case the game kept running. All I can suggest to try is deleting two files from the "config" folder in the root of the MiSTer SD card. These are as follows ...

/config/msh.CFG

/config/inputs/msh_input_****_****_V3.map  ( * will be letters & numbers that I believe will be unique to your sd card - mine are 2dc8_6102_V3).

If that fails to cure the issue, then I can only suggest then deleting the mra file and then run update_all again to redownload them. If that still fails then delete the rom as well and run the updater again.

I might be jumping the gun a little here so I'm just going to leave the tweet here posted by Robert Piep (FPGAzumSpass, creator of the GBA, Lynx & Wonderswan cores) and leave you to draw your own conclusions! All I will say is that this is the second time this week that we've seen this demo and it's unlikely Robert is duplicating the work of SRG320. We know that N64 is more or less confirmed as not being possible on the DE10 so we can rule that out.

Yep, the 3DO! I've never owned one but knew someone who did. I had some fun with the machine at the time and there could be a few titles that hold up well. I think we'd all welcome a 3DO core core on MiSTer.

By no means is a 3DO core confirmed yet, but reading between the lines I think it's a safe assumption. The way Robert tends to works is he first creates an emulator of his target platform on PC. After that he then creates his FPGA core from his initial work.

Thanks, @shiffy - I haven't had time to tinker much over the last few days but I'm going to try that soon. :D

Someone on the Jotego discord suggested (re: Cave cores not synchronising properly on my screen) that my CRT might not support the funny refresh rate (57.4, I think) of DoDonPachi and other games. The TV supports both 50hz and 60hz perfectly well, and few cores I've used so far actually seem to run at exactly 60hz (most are 59.something, which the TV is fine with), but could this be correct? Is 57 just slightly too far out?

Edit: It also handles Section Z nicely at 55hz, if that tells us anything. Is it possible that a TV could do 59 and 55, but not 57, for some reason?

My Sony flatpanel reports DoDonPachi as being 56Mz wihile the MiSTer says 57.2Mz. Kung-Fu iMatser s another arcade core that I know has a odd refresh rate, my TV reports it as being  56Hz and the MiSTer info bar reports it as 55.4Mz. The same for Legendary Wing, Moon Patrol & Kid Niki. Ladybug is reported 61.2Hz. It's worth trying these games @Klatrymadon to see how these games behave on your crt.

my sony crt doesnt like the DoDonpachi core either, it goes all scrambles for some reason. I have only just bought my analogue board so i could have a .ini issue somewhere.

Also didnt like the neogeo core either, but cps2 was perfect.

15 hours ago, shiffy said:

My Sony flatpanel reports DoDonPachi as being 56Mz wihile the MiSTer says 57.2Mz. Kung-Fu iMatser s another arcade core that I know has a odd refresh rate, my TV reports it as being  56Hz and the MiSTer info bar reports it as 55.4Mz. The same for Legendary Wing, Moon Patrol & Kid Niki. Ladybug is reported 61.2Hz. It's worth trying these games @Klatrymadon to see how these games behave on your crt.

Thanks! Yeah, all of these worked really well. Moon Patrol had a slightly narrower aspect ratio (which didn't change when toggling between 'original' and 'full screen'), but I didn't see anything to suggest the TV wouldn't get on with odd refresh rates...

Anyone know where I can get a metal case for my Mister?

I've got a 3d printed case but the buttons on the top keep getting stuck and I would prefer a nicer harder wearing case that would be good under the tv for example

10 hours ago, shiffy said:

New arcade games alert, The Jackal and Iron Horse have been released to the public by Ace. I'm happy to have played a tiny part in bringing Iron Horse core to the MiSTer project, but all credit really should go to Ace & ElectronAsh. I hope you enjoy these releases!

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade-IronHorse_MiSTer#readme

Run your updaters!

Ran my update all script and although Jackal & Iron Horse appear on the arcade list, whenever I try to load them my MiSTer just returns to system selection menu. 

That's strange, @Swainy All I can suggest for the moment is to try running update_all again and see what happens. If that doesn't work, let me me know & we'll delve in deeper to see what the problem is. From the behavior you've described it sounds like you haven't got the roms.

Morning!

I'm about to join the MiSTer party with one on the way from eBay. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334089305737

I just have a couple of questions for you guys if you can help please?

1. What's the 'best' way to get RGB SCART output?  VGA to SCART or HDMI to VGA to SCART? https://www.retrorgb.com/mister-240p-over-hdmi.html
  2. Do I need one of these with the setup I've bought? https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister-usb-bridge-board/
  3. Can the MiSTer take a 512 GB Micro SD card?  

I picked up a Sony CRT last night which will be the main screen for this to be used on.  I'll post some pictures once it is all setup.

Cheers