MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

For cores, it's easy to use the default update.sh file with settings to get the cores you want. ROMs are your own affair really, you'll need to pick and choose those yourself.

This is the contents on the update.ini I have in my scripts folder.

REPOSITORIES_FILTER="NES SNES GBA Gameboy TurboGrafx16 Genesis NeoGeo MemTest"
UPDATE_CHEATS="false"
UPDATE_LINUX="true"
MAME_ALT_ROMS=""

It is easy enough to do it all manually though, once you've run the initial install utility, you can pull cores from the relevant GitHub release page.

14 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

@Fallows I remember seeing in your set up Two real SNES pads into the Mister via a USB adapter! Which adaptor was this and do you think it works well? I’m interested! 

https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/snes2usb_2player_adapter_v2/index.php

They claim 2ms minimum latency once configured with the firmware, but I managed to get it down to 1ms.

They come straight out of Japan, so expect a few weeks for it to arrive. I'm not sure if they're made there or not.

Needless to say they are lightning. I said it before, but I think playing SMW via. the MiSTer is now more responsive than the real thing. That could be just me.

4 hours ago, Fallows said:

https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/snes2usb_2player_adapter_v2/index.php

They claim 2ms minimum latency once configured with the firmware, but I managed to get it down to 1ms.

They come straight out of Japan, so expect a few weeks for it to arrive. I'm not sure if they're made there or not.

Needless to say they are lightning. I said it before, but I think playing SMW via. the MiSTer is now more responsive than the real thing. That could be just me.

How did you get it down to 1 ms? In the .ini file? 

13 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

An alternative to the awesome Raphnet adapter if you have the analogue board is SNAC - https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister-snac-adapter-usb/

I've got one with NES and SNES adapters. The only downside is they're bare boards unless you 3D print enclosures for them.

I have one of these and it just doesn't work, no idea why.

10 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I have one of these and it just doesn't work, no idea why.

Which version of the IO board do you have? I understand that earlier versions don't work with Megadrive or MasterSystem SNAC adaptors. I think most SNAC adaptors required v5.5 and Megadrive requires v6.1.

8 minutes ago, Dr_Dave said:

Which version of the IO board do you have? I understand that earlier versions don't work with Megadrive or MasterSystem SNAC adaptors. I think most SNAC adaptors required v5.5 and Megadrive requires v6.1.

Ah good to know, thanks, I'll look up the version.

Edit:- v5.5 according to my order.

I read somewhere that another user seeing the same thing needed to use a super famicom pad rather than SNES for it to work, which seems odd to me.

52 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Hey @dr_manhattan^, I'm using a US SNES pad with mine. 

Are you using the SNAC and an adapter connected in series?

Have you enabled SNAC in the SNES core?

As @Fallows mentioned, they're core specific and furthermore, will not work with MiSTer menus, just the running game.

Ah I had no idea I had to enable it in the core.

Thanks!

I guess that means I won't be able to navigate the main/initial mister menu with the controller until after that is switched on.

Thanks, I'll give it a go later!

It won't work in menus ever. You enable it on a per core basis, and the SNES adapter will only work with the SNES core, for example.

So you'll need another device to control things. And a shitload of adapters and controllers for different cores.

3 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

It won't work in menus ever. You enable it on a per core basis, and the SNES adapter will only work with the SNES core, for example.

So you'll need another device to control things. And a shitload of adapters and controllers for different cores.

cheers, that explains a lot

Edit:- just tried and managed to get it to work!  Thanks for the help!  Perfect timing for the weekend

4 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Yeah, this is kinda why I gave up on the SNAC stuff. I got an 8Bitdo wireless SN30 Pro and I really can't notice the difference in lag anyway.

Urrgh, 

I run my Mister into a flat panel & CRT simultaneously. I was getting HDMI drop outs for some reason, so I swapped the HDMI cable! 

For some reason, the splitter cable for the PSU now just doesnt work! It’s dead Jim! 

I can remove the double extension and plug the single end into the DE10 itself, but now I get no picture anywhere, the fan starts up only for a moment and the red & green lights just flash on and off! 

Great fun! 

16 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Might be a power / amp thing? I bought an upgraded 4 amp power supply, which was recommended by people who were using a fair few things plugged into the USB hub. You could borrow mine (I have a spare one) to test?

Thank you for the offer, but that’s actually the one I have! It seems this cable just completely broke! - 

https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister-power-supply-splitter-cable/

So I can still just plug the PSU straight into the DE10 too input, and it does power up, but I get no picture and the fan just spins once :( 

On 17/06/2021 at 23:59, Kevvy Metal said:

How did you get it down to 1 ms? In the .ini file? 

You can download the firmware updater from their site. Within the little applet you can select what ping you want while updating the device. I'll take a screen next time I'm at my desk.

This is additional to the MiSTer's 1ms USB hub polling.

21 hours ago, Spoonman said:

I too would like a way to keep up to date, but to have on the top level only my favourites. > 90% i wont play.

Great discussion all round, guys.

I have 100GB of pretty much every Everdrive pack that has a MiSTer core, so all the folders are organised beginning with a number. For nearly every core I have a "0_Favourites" folder which sits at the very top of each list.

My favourites folder is basically my virtual retro shelf, so features everything I'd have if I was buying carts for real. I know everything else is there in the vault, but I never need to venture in unless I hear about a particular yet-to-be-discovered gem and want to try it out.

6 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Great fun! 

Don't waste your time and shoot a query over to Nat, the misterfpga.co.uk bloke. I can almost guarantee he'll sort you out with a replacement.

@Fallows That is exactly the way I have my Everdrive folders set up. My own personal collection of physical carts goes into a folder I named "0 Collection". All of my stuff is readily accessible instantly without going through the whole of the Everdrive collection. New hacks or translations that I'm interested in go into a "0 Hacks & Updates" folder. If I want to dive deeper into stuff I haven't played before I know it's there on the card ready to explore.

10 hours ago, shiffy said:

@Fallows That is exactly the way I have my Everdrive folders set up. My own personal collection of physical carts goes into a folder I named "0 Collection". All of my stuff is readily accessible instantly without going through the whole of the Everdrive collection. New hacks or translations that I'm interested in go into a "0 Hacks & Updates" folder. If I want to dive deeper into stuff I haven't played before I know it's there on the card ready to explore.

Hah! I did this too! 

I use the Everdrive packs but added a folder called “00 - My games” and in there, I put in my own virtual collection of games!

It feels like owning a virtual store of retro games.