rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Treble

TV Gone Bad: when shows make terrible decisions

2 hours ago, dumpster said:

I totally agree though, as wonderful as Breaking Bad is, it's the 4th to 6th series where it becomes fantastic - parts of series 3 where Jessie has people living in his house, really drag. 

That's Series 4 when Jessie fills his house with meth heads.

Peep Show took a plummet after series 3 - S4E1 is pretty good though so I generally think of episode 2 as the shark jump point, that episode is absolutely painful to watch. There are a few decent ones after that but generally only one or two per series. 

Not sure if it was down to poor decision making or just a general decline in writing quality, but maybe it was a mistake to get Mark and Sophie together? They probably couldn’t have strung out the will-they-won’t-they situation for much longer, but the show did feel very rudderless without it. 

18 hours ago, deerokus said:

Arrow was a really fun series for the first two years, especially season 2. Went to absolute shit after that.

See also The Flash.. Except season one was the better one.. 

1 minute ago, MDY said:

See also The Flash.. Except season one was the better one.. 

And season 2 was terrible

On 16/08/2019 at 11:22, Darhkwing said:

Season 9 of How I met Your Mother.

The entire season was based over a couple of days at Barney and Robins wedding. It seemed overly dragged out, and in the end it didn't even matter anyway.

Not only this but the final episode was cheap. It was obvious from the beginning that it was meant to be Robin that Ted get's together with. However, due to the success of the show they kept it going and going, and ruined the initial vision. When you finally do get to met Teds future wife, it's all done in the space of a few episodes. She seemed nice and all, but she should have had more screen time and killing her off to then get with Robin was lame AF.

The idea of the season is absolutely great, if it really was building up to a proper conclusion for the show.  Ted meeting the mother during that wedding and the show ending with their first kiss say would have been absolutely perfect.

But yeah, grabbing her, immediately killing her off and invalidating most of the series to make him end up with "fan favourite character" was awful. I've actually not watched the very last episode and I don't think I ever will.

On 19/08/2019 at 15:30, Chadruharazzeb said:

Yeah, no. The Batman and Robin rubbish was part of the good finale trilogy - when they became millionaires and literally walked off into the sunset. It was when it came back again that it was shit. 

Yeah, this should have been the perfect end, it should be remembered as a classic finale.  Literally into the sunset, literally achieving their dream but of course not being satisfied because of course for Del it was always the thrill of the chase.  "This time next year we'll be billionaires" would be remembered as perhaps the greatest closing line to a series in history.

And then they fucked it all up.

On 19/08/2019 at 17:09, Nick R said:

I don't think The Simpsons really fits Treble's first post in this thread, which said "I'm thinking not so much about great shows that faded because they ran on to long and out of ideas, but the ones that made baffling and egregious choices when things were still chugging along nicely."

I think that The Simpsons' decline was more the former: a gradual fade-out, rather than a specific, disruptive event. People can blame specific events for marking the point of no return ("The Principal and the Pauper", directors and writers leaving to focus on Futurama and King of the Hill, Mike Scully becoming showrunner, the death of Phil Hartman) but I don't think it's any one thing.

If I have to choose a point, it's the first episode of season 9.  "The City of New York vs Homer Simpson".  The Simpsons to that point had essentially been "real". It didn't fuck too badly with physics beyond that which a sitcom normally might.  And then that one happens.

The episode itself is really funny, but it marks the departure of The Simpsons from a sitcom that happens to be animated transitioning to animation wacky physics fun time hour.

On 22/08/2019 at 11:25, dumpster said:

But for me, the big one is Arrested Development. 

it's really hard for me to get my head around the issue that this is a programme I really like, yet there's a whole series of it I have not started and it's been out a year.

I adored and adore the first 3 seasons.  I haven't ever watched 4 and 5.  Both versions of 4 and the complete 5 sit on my hard drive but I just... don't want to.