rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
deKay

Saint's Row V

No details yet, but it seems Agents of Mayhem is forgotten and Volition are going back to Saint's Row:

Volition is deep in development of a brand-new Saints Row game, the first full entry in this much loved series since Saints Row IV was released in 2013.

IV doesn't seem like SIX YEARS ago, but then I suppose it must be.

(Quote from http://www.thqnordic-investors.com/en/regulatory-press-releases/?releaseId=3384166)

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Agents of Mayhem was forgotten about 10 minutes after it came out.

Never heard of it.

44 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

I thought the series peaked (piqued) at 3.

You're probably not the only person who thinks this, but a lot of people including myself feel that 3 was one of the weaker entries - understandable given that THQ was hemorrhaging money and most of the issues were due to a lack of content and cutscenes. The vibe was wonderful, but you could tell a lot of it had been truncated.

I'd personally kill for a Saints Row 2 remake, personally. Also, after Agents of Mayhem did an Agents of Mayhem, I hear they got a core creative lead on the previous Saints Row games back on board so hopefully they have some working leadership for this one. I think his name was Jim Boone, but can't check right now.

Finally, the one possible downside here is that THQ Nordic don't exactly budget their games lavishly. There's wasting money, and then there's not giving them enough to reach their potential -a lot of Nordic's stuff falls into the latter category. Darksiders 3 was a fun game, but it felt like it was stretched tight.

• Upvote 1

Two was probably the best for me. The first was an uninspired GTA rip off, although it did introduce some much needed QOL improvements that GTA went on to nick. Then the entries after after two started to venture too far into monkey cheese lol random territory for me.

• Upvote 2

2 is janky as hell (especially on PC) but is the best overall (chill Shaundi best Shaundi) but I can't ever bring myself to dislike the insanity that were 3 and 4. I got to beat the crap out of an alien overlord while 'The Touch' played, best boss ever.

For V though, they should scale back to 2's scope. Ease up on the lovable puckish rogues thing and bring back the dangerous, ruthless scumbags feel.

• Upvote 3

I'd rather them push into something new. Saints Row 2 was fantastic at the time but then I don't think it ages well (in terms of its characterisation). The darker edges to it worked well in 2008 when there was more of a market for it (and it worked well alongside its contemporaries, along with other darkly comic action pieces like Crank :wub:) but I feel like we've moved past it, and the series has too. The cartoon qualities of 3 and especially 4 made for a fun pisstake of the grimdark state the medium had been pushing towards, while also pre-empting the revival of that style with games like Overwatch and how campier goofy humour made its way into games like Sunset Overdrive and Watch Dogs 2. They were the proto-Devolver.

If it wasn't for the misstep of Agents of Mayhem, I'd say Volition did a damn good job over the course of SR of keeping the series fresh and relevant, and I'd hope that a prospective fifth instalment wouldn't be a reboot of the first two games nor a continuation of the high camp of 3 and 4. Let Volition come up with a fresh approach.

4 hours ago, pulsemyne said:

Oh come on volition make freespace 3.

Too right! Still want to know what happened after the Freespace 2 cliffhanger. 

Also, make Red Faction Guerrilla 2. 

• Upvote 1

I never played the first one but I loved 2, 3 and 4, especially 2 and 3. I really hope the next one is good as I'm craving a good GTA game without the faux Hollywood fluff that Rockstar seems to be into. 

• Upvote 1

2 was a proper black comedy of a sort that isn't as common in games as it should be. 3 and 4 were more over the top comic book silliness. Also, 2 had a really great, satisfying and compelling structure which worked well with the story, something which is quite rare in open world gsmes. I loved both 3 and 4 even if they felt a little unfinished at times but 2 had that unique quality to it that I'd love to see recaptured. I doubt it, though. 

• Upvote 3

2 had one of the coldest moments of revenge in gaming.

'Do me a favour. When you check the trunk, just remember you should have offered me something better than 20 percent'.

Fuuuuuck.

Happy a fifth game is in development, hope it can find a balance between the lunacy and the surprisingly emotional moments the series has produced.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, glb said:

2 had one of the coldest moments of revenge in gaming.

'Do me a favour. When you check the trunk, just remember you should have offered me something better than 20 percent'.

Fuuuuuck.

Happy a fifth game is in development, hope it can find a balance between the lunacy and the surprisingly emotional moments the series has produced.

Yeah, that was dark, man. A little at odds with some of the idiocy of the rest of the game.

• Empathy 1

Also, 2 had you break into a nuclear power plant just to pick up some nuclear material to mix into somebody's tattoo inking kit just because you weren't impressed with their attitude.

See, one of the things I love about Saints Row is the fact that your character's actually in charge of what they do. Too many open world games have you working as an errand boy, complaining about being forced to do shit they don't want to do for people they don't like. The Boss would drive a tank through a skyscraper just for fun, and it's fun!

• Upvote 4

Playing 4 as an amazonian statured woman with a male cockney accent was incredible fun. I enjoyed 3 and 4 a lot, so we'll see where 5 is going but I'll buy it regardless.

I'd like to go back and play 2 properly but I think it's be difficult to. No doubt I've got it in my steam library.

The cockney accent was bloody great, I took lots of idiotic amusement by dressing up as stupidly as possible so every cutscene made me chuckle. 

• Upvote 1