rllmuk
Revival

Need for Speed: Heat | 8th November

It’s hard to get excited about that trailer, even for me. Why would anyone be enthused by the daytime bits? The NFS games have – usually, anyway – been focused on weaving powerful cars in and out of traffic on rural and city roads, outside the law. If you want to participate in organised motorsport, play Gran Turismo or Forza, they’re clearly going to do it a lot better than an NFS game will. I struggle to give a fuck about doing laps of a cordoned-off city circuit, with safety equipment and race marshals and league tables, and all that rubbish.

The night bits look slightly more interesting, albeit just like NFS 2015 except without the stylised look and in a boring, flat city like Miami. The only ray of hope is the focus on police chases, which were pretty anaemic in NFS 2015, and could do with being beefed up.

The logo made me think it was going to be NFS: Eighties, which at least would have been an new-ish direction.

• Upvote 1

I loved Hot Pursuit (the last one). Rivals was brilliant though - a mix of Hot Pursuit and Wanted (Wanted was good but not as good as Hot Pursuit). 

Nothing has touched Rivals since though. Payback was supposed to be it but it got slammed by the reviewers so I left it.

I'm getting lots of Midnight Club vibes from the trailer. I like MC:LA a lot but the Need For Speed franchise has rarely got my interest and seems so divisive and full of underbaked games.

I'm gonna say I'm tentatively interested.

6 hours ago, gospvg said:

Some more info

“Need for Speed Heat sends fans to Palm City, a brand-new open world where street racers have gathered to make their names known,” said EA.

“By day, players compete in the Speedhunters Showdown, a sanctioned competition where they earn Bank to customize and upgrade their garage of high-performance cars. At night, players risk it all to build their Rep in underground races where a rogue police task force roams the streets, ready to take racers down and swipe all their earnings. The roads, the risks, and the rides never end in this street racer where a player can roll deep with their crew, build their garage full of hot cars, and make the city their nonstop playground.”

How utterly uninspiring and cookie cutter "focus group designed open world racing game" that all sounds.

My favourite genre is arcade racers but to me there are few types of game as lazily by the numbers/excel spreadsheet in game form as the open world racer.

Basically, I dont want to do any of that boring stat management/levelling shit. I want fun mechanics and a selection of well designed courses that I can become familiar with.

The only good need for speed of the past decade or so was Hot Pursuit(because it wasn't open world).

Do these open world racers still sell? I get the impression that the mainstream have moved on.

4 minutes ago, partious said:

Do these open world racers still sell? I get the impression that the mainstream have moved on.

Forza Horizon would suggest yes.

5 minutes ago, deKay said:

True. Maybe it's just the forum/internet bubble, but there doesn't seem to have been any enthusiasm whatsoever for these Need For Speed template games for the past 5 years at least.

3 hours ago, Smoothy said:

I loved Hot Pursuit (the last one). Rivals was brilliant though - a mix of Hot Pursuit and Wanted (Wanted was good but not as good as Hot Pursuit). 

Nothing has touched Rivals since though. Payback was supposed to be it but it got slammed by the reviewers so I left it.

I tried to like Rivals and I did like the feel of the driving but the crazily agressive/overpowered police AI really sucked every bit of fun out of it for me.

Has there ever been a worse publisher than current EA? I know they’ve been bad in the past but I honestly can’t think of the last thing they published of value. It’s such a shame, they’ve got a fair bit of good stuff knocking around IP wise but everything they’ve touched this gen has just turned to shite. Battlefield 1 and (especially) Tites 2 were great, but they stupidly released the two of them within a week of each other and the former sunk the latter. They even fuck up the good stuff! 

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit is my favourite game. Of all time. It’s everything a video game should be with absolutely no fat on it and now you just see this samey, by committee crap being pushed out and... just... who cares? 

I’ll eat my words if this turns out to be another 10/10, God I hope it is, but honestly something needs to happen over at EA. 

All this made me revisit Hot Pursuit (2010). I'll give anyone in the world three good reasons why this is the ultimate Need for Speed and should (have) be(en) the inspiration for the next:

Now please tell me which focus group would seriously prefer the infinitely bland mixture of tuning and narrative over the 'drive supercars and outrun the cops' approach - which came to define Need for Speed successfully far earlier on.

Arguably 'going Underground' is the worst thing that ever happened to the franchise... (Though I'm afraid sales figures from the '00s disagree.)

3 hours ago, deKay said:

3 hours ago, partious said:

True. Maybe it's just the forum/internet bubble, but there doesn't seem to have been any enthusiasm whatsoever for these Need For Speed template games for the past 5 years at least.

Interestingly, Forza Horizon has almost ruined the genre in this sense. It did 'accessible sports car driving' so incredibly well, only to go over-the-top in its own way and completely lose focus. Still a great game - but could certainly use a reboot, too.

Need for Speed on the other could take a page out of the book. Be the racing game that puts you behind the wheel of desirable cars and drive them hard on challenging roads - occasionally being chased by cops. Period. That's exactly what made Hot Pursuit so amazing.

• Upvote 2

Today's EA is a fucking dinosaur trying to figure out what the fuck their place is in the current landscape. They struggle to manage their studios, they managed to single handedly destroy the season pass and  microtransaction model as it was and ushered in something arguably worse (like the Apex Legends axe debacle, although Activision beat them to that with Black Ops IIII) and they have absolutely no grasp on what the market wants and when it wants it.

Look at Battlefield. I'm not sure they could have fucked up the launch and subsequent support of that game any more than they did. 

36 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Can you still play NFS:HP (2010) online? PC version I assume?

I played the Xbox 360 version last night. My Live Gold has expired so couldn't test out online races - though I'd doubt there's anyone else playing.

Autolog times and scores were still there though! :)

(And I even spent 5 quid on getting the Porsche DLC which I never bought back in the day.)

If you enjoyed the awful avatar outfits in Forza Horizon 4 you’ll be pleased to hear they’ve added them to this game. Having to drive by the rules during the days looks like a pain in the ass to me but overall not a terrible trailer.

5 minutes ago, ryodi said:

If you enjoyed the awful avatar outfits in Forza Horizon 4 you’ll be pleased to hear they’ve added them to this game. Having to drive by the rules during the days looks like a pain in the ass to me but overall not a terrible trailer.

:quote:

b7b80857-7975-47ff-9934-c1e5bc917411_(2).PNG

On 15/08/2019 at 00:09, McSpeed said:

All this made me revisit Hot Pursuit (2010). I'll give anyone in the world three good reasons why this is the ultimate Need for Speed and should (have) be(en) the inspiration for the next:

Critereon did a great job, the only great NFS since most wanted imo. It was like Need For Speed: Burnout 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, SnoopZakaDaVe said:

Critereon did a great job, the only great NFS since most wanted imo. It was like Need For Speed: Burnout 

Much better than any Burnout could ever be actually.

• Upvote 1