The Stand (2020)

JohnC

• 2 months later...

Yeah, the non-linear storytelling worked really well. I thought that first episode was really good, the cast were excellent (Harold in particular), it looked great and there were some nice little King references sprinkled around. 

Really looking forward to the rest of the series but I wonder if it will find an audience? Is a pandemic drama something people will want to watch over Christmas?

29 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Yeah, the non-linear storytelling worked really well. I thought that first episode was really good, the cast were excellent (Harold in particular), it looked great and there were some nice little King references sprinkled around. 

Really looking forward to the rest of the series but I wonder if it will find an audience? Is a pandemic drama something people will want to watch over Christmas?

I think it'll be fine for these times. Contagion was number 1 on Netflix for a good while this year.

Really enjoying this but having to pretty much narrate for my Wife. I can imagine you would get lost pretty fast if you haven’t read the book. Heading over to IMDB is a seething hate fest for it. Maybe someone takes it when it’s finished and edits it into a linear order!

Episode 3 is just as good as the others so far, and introduced a couple of characters I'd forgotten about (it's been thirty years since I last read it). Both characters - Glenn & Tom - are perfectly captured as far as I can remember.

One of the better things on TV at the moment.

Hmmm, I didn't think episode 3 was as good, and some of the omissions or changes from the book are a shame.

Spoiler

I'd have liked to have seen more of Nick's stay in Shoyo and the sheriff there as the plague started.
Having Nadine's story go back to her childhood was odd.

Glen seems too young to me, and the choice for Tom isn't as good as the Mini Series.

Also I’m pretty sure Nick wasn’t the only go between for mother Abigail?

Still enjoying it though.

This will be available on Starzplay through Amazon Prime tomorrow for anyone like me who hasn't managed to find it anywhere else. 

I first read the book back when I was a teenager and also started (but not finished) a reread last year. 

Really looking forward to it after reading most of the opinions in here. 

Oh my word, that was really good. 

Only the first episode available on Amazon so far, but I am so fucking looking forward to more of this, it was very well done from a book readers point of view. 

If anyone has any links to streams for the other episodes that are already out, please, please send a PM :)