rllmuk
Harrisown

NFL 2019!

Does anyone think that the Patriots would have the, I'm not sure what you would say, balls maybe? to just absolutely tank this coming season and grab someone like Trevor Laurence in the draft?

Growing up with European sports with relegation and lower leagues I hate the idea of tanking but with the way the NFL is set up I can't deny it makes logical sense in a way. 

Would Bill Belichek's ego be able to handle that ? The NFL media circus is going to be all over "Can Brady or Belichick win a Superbowl without the other?" every week next season. I think its more likely that Belicheck will be looking to prove he can make the post season with any half decent QB tbh.

I think both guys(and Kraft) will want to prove doubters wrong for as long as they have left. Tanking, while i get the principal, is anathema to them both. 

The Bucs have 2 awesome recievers thatbate better than NE have ever had, almost, and with a proper pocket qb/leader they could be great.

Cool that Bridgewater has gone to Carolina he deserves some luck.

Stefan Diggs going to Buffalo is cool too.

There is a narrative passing around the sports media that Tom Brady left the Patriots because they failed to put a team around him capable of winning. Talk about revisionist history! how many super bowls have they been to in the last 6-7 years? how many AFC east titles and AFC championship games have they won?

I think it's more that they couldn't put a pocket around him that would last long enough for him these days.  The Bucs have a solid wall ready and waiting for him. 

Also when was the last time New England signed a big free agent? Theyre kinda notorious for paying shit money to players and theyve let a lot of essential players go, like Van Noy has left and a good few other last 2 or 3 years.

The Bears have signed Nick Foles which im not sure will work out. Fine he was injured last year but i still doibt he will be near his Philly form.

The NFL are uploading a bunch of great games from the last few years in full on their Youtube channel. Great time filler. The NBA, NHL and MLB are all doing the same as well.

Sweet, thanks.

Started reading "Boys will be boys"  about the late 80s to mid 90s Cowboys dynasty. Pretty good so far.

Im looking forward to the draft tomorrow and friday! Apparently, Peter Kings mock-draft has Tua is going to NE after abtrade with the 49ers. 

Gronk has come out of retirement to gomto Tampa, i imagine hes is getting beaucoup dollars for that.

Can’t wait for the draft. Looking likely the Skins will be finally getting a bona fide superstar in Chase Young. 

Shame some of the excitement will be gone from the draft due to distancing but it’ll still be great fun (and at least we’ll be able to hear the Commissioner for one without the crowd booing every time he speaks)

Gronk news is crazy. One minute there was a news story saying he wanted to play again but with Brady. A few mins later; boom trade done. 

Also NFL reported he’s playing on his previous contract that he still bound to, so 1 year at 20 million. Not a bad return. 

I agree that with no crowd the draft will have a unique atmosphere that might be better.

If there wasnt 3 big QB prospects Young would surely be #1 but maybe he will go there anyway?

There's definitely a chance Cincy goes with Chase but I can't see them passing on Burrow unless they know something we don't. But that's the beauty of the draft, those curveballs you don't see coming. If Cincy do take him, I see the Skins getting a fuck load of picks for someone to move up and take Burrow. This would be a good second choice but I really want Chase.

I'm fascinated to see where Tua goes. The talk of the Skins taking him 2nd seems to have faded but most mocks have him going to Miami or LA Chargers at 5 or 6. Though there was an interview with Bob McGinn on Around the NFL where he said a lot of teams have issues with Tua outside of the obvious injury ones and he could see him dropping out of the top 10.

Add in Herbert and Hurts to the QB list, a stellar WR class and 4 or 5 possible 1st round tackles; it's going to be a really intriguing draft. Can't wait.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BabelRich said:

Shame some of the excitement will be gone from the draft due to distancing but it’ll still be great fun (and at least we’ll be able to hear the Commissioner for one without the crowd booing every time he speaks)

I'm hoping he leans into that and has his missus boo him in the house. I think that would be fun.

• Upvote 1

You can virtually boo the Commish and raise money for charity. Lovely stuff.

Happy Draft Day everyone!

• Upvote 1

Nothing too surprising in the draft so far. This is a really deep draft class too. Lots of quality.

Green Bay drafting Love has a nice bit of drama to it.  

gutted Skins didn’t have a 2nd this year as could have picked up McKinney who has gone to Giants instead. 

Probably worst thing is al the Tackle needy teams getting one, most likely leaving us stuck with Trent Williams stinking up the place. 

11 hours ago, BabelRich said:

Green Bay drafting Love has a nice bit of drama to it.  

gutted Skins didn’t have a 2nd this year as could have picked up McKinney who has gone to Giants instead. 

Probably worst thing is al the Tackle needy teams getting one, most likely leaving us stuck with Trent Williams stinking up the place. 

Well you don't have to worry about Trent Williams any more! :)

The Jordan Love pick is baffling - I don't think Rodgers has shown any signs of slowing down and they were one game away from the Super Bowl last year. They really need receivers, this draft was chock-full of them, and they haven't taken a single one yet. Maybe they'll get one on the trade market?

• Upvote 1

Yeah that pick was strange. As far as i know he wasnt a super in-demand guy so it couldve waited 1 or 2 rounds and got something more useable. 

Some of these lineman or pass rush guys are so insanely massive and fast its unreal.

The highlight of the draft was the Patriots drifting a kicker who also seems to be a member of a far-right terrorist organisation, those Pats always seem to make themselves just so darn easy to hate.

• Upvote 2

No London games this year.

(between The Hundred getting zapped and this, it's becoming a fairly expensive time for my employer :( )

• Empathy 1

XFL has gone under too. I watched a few games and it was ok couldve served a purpose like NFL Europe used to do. But it was just wasnt right somehow.

16 hours ago, McFly said:

XFL has gone under too. I watched a few games and it was ok couldve served a purpose like NFL Europe used to do. But it was just wasnt right somehow.

As if Vince McMahon doesn't have enough money to keep that one floating... this is the second time they tried to launch the XFL. I'm surprised it didn't last longer.

On 16/05/2020 at 01:19, McFly said:

I like the choice of inconspicuous getaway car.