rllmuk
papalazarou

Jo jo rabbit - new Taika Waititi movie

Didn’t see a thread for this but trailer is out for the new Taika Waititi movie Jo Jo Rabbit 

“Set during World War Two, an awkward young German boy whose only ally is his imaginary friend Hitler has his naïve patriotism tested when he meets a young girl who upends his world views.”

Can’t wait for this love hunt for the wilderpeople, what we do in the shadows and this seems more of Taika style of humour :-) 

Hmm, looks a little tryhard to me. Hunt for the Wilderpeople was magic so I hold out hope but that trailer didn't do much for me.

Very funny trailer, I enjoyed that. Looks like it reaches the U.K. on January 1st, perfect way to start the new year by the looks of it. 

If I'd have seen this yesterday, it would have been the best film I'd seen in 2019. It's so, so good. Funny and dark in equal measure, it's just fantastic. 

:wub:

• Upvote 1

So so good.  Really weird 1 star review from Peter Bradshaw in the Guardian that reads like he just watched the trailer and formed a load of vague, but strongly held assumptions. 

Spoiler

Hard to say what got me more between him trying to tie his mother’s shoelaces and Sam Rockwell ripping the jacket off him and telling him to go and be with his “sister”.

• Upvote 4

Peter Bradshaw is seriously one of the worst critics ever though. I’d never watch a film based on anything he ever said. Besides, he’s probably spoilt half (sometimes all) the movie anyway if you read his review before seeing the film.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Is this ok for an 11 and 12 year old?

Nazis and death feature quite heavily but no gore that I can remember. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Is this ok for an 11 and 12 year old?

It's quite dark thematically. So much so, I've found myself thinking a lot about the film since yesterday. But apart from one 'Fuck', it's relatively blood and swearing free. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Peter Bradshaw is seriously one of the worst critics ever though. I’d never watch a film based on anything he ever said. 

I would. If he hates it it's probably good. Diabolical critic. 

3 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Nazis and death feature quite heavily but no gore that I can remember. 

2 hours ago, mdn2 said:

It's quite dark thematically. So much so, I've found myself thinking a lot about the film since yesterday. But apart from one 'Fuck', it's relatively blood and swearing free. 

Cheers. They loved Hunt for The Wilderpeople. Might go on Sunday.

• Upvote 1

Felt a little off during the first few minutes as it became apparent most of the "best" gags were in the trailer...but the story and characters (oh god the characters :wub:) take over.

Amazing performances all around (the kids especially) and when it leaves comedy/farce behind to be dark, it goes dark and powerful.

Stays with you long after it's ended.

• Upvote 4