rllmuk
Klatrymadon

Blazing Chrome - out 11th July!

Getting excited for this new run-'n'-gun from Joymasher (Oniken, Odallus). It's always looked like the real deal, wearing a strong Hard Corps influence on its sleeve, and I like that it shows a lot of confidence in and commitment to its visual style (which is emphasising a lot of battered metal in a way very reminiscent of early Nazca stuff). From the footage the controls seem as tight and precise as Contra's, something I admired in Super Cyborg. This seems to be going further than SC, though, introducing gameplay ideas of its own beyond just slavish recreation of a formula

Parts of this short developer diary also show some promise. I've always been interested in ('low-res') 2D artwork not simply out of nostalgia for the periods of its heyday, but as a form of art the potential for which is still far from exhausted - as a form of expression that has value in itself. It's heartening to hear this sentiment more or less echoed by someone involved in the production of contemporary 2D games, which are too often mired in knowing, 'ironic' mimickry and repetition. 

Wishing Blazing Chrome all the best, and hoping for the best!

• Upvote 3

It's out!

I've only spent an hour or so with it today but my first impression is that it rules. It's crammed with exciting setpieces (every time I think I'm approaching the climax of a level something tops it), controls beautifully, and looks and sounds incredible. Attacks are punishing, but always well telegraphed and fair, and it strikes a really nice balance between the new and old 'schools' of Contra - plenty of run-'n'-gun segments filled with minor enemies to manage, but also plenty of showstopping boss battles. In fact, it takes clear influence from Shattered Soldier in its basic structure, which gives you a choice of four stages from the off before funnelling you into the pre-set concluding levels. It's intimidatingly difficult, but has plenty of features to ease new players in, including an 'Easy' mode and three assistant 'bots' that can be collected in the stages - one to increase your speed and movement options, one to act as an attack drone, and one to give you a two-hit shield. There are two unlockable melee-focused characters and a 'hardcore' mode, too, so there's plenty to keep you going after your initial clear.

It's lots and lots of fun, and I haven't seen half of the game yet. (Just be sure to turn off 'auto-switch' in the options, unless you want a nasty surprise at an inopportune moment - it affects whether or not you equip newly acquired weapons immediately).

• Upvote 4

Stages in this are pretty long - every time I think I've beaten the main boss another one emerges. Thankfully it doesn't suffer from the Metal Slug 3 problem of feeling like a gruelling slog. :P

Ed: added some more detail to the post above. 

Just a heads-up on some deviations from Hard Corps that may throw you: you're not invulnerable during a slide, and dropping through platforms isn't a thing you can do, so keep off the down button where possible! 

Just booted this up for a game on the xbox and the first thing i love other than the retro intro is the fact that it turns your xbox one gamer pic into pixel art. 

Stupid but i liked that!

Yeah, the game actually features three mechs, all with completely different weapons. The visuals are very reminiscent of Nazca's stuff on the whole (and similarly bristling with detail), but the gameplay's a lot more precise and satisfying than Metal Slug's, imo.

• Upvote 1

This plays really well on a fight stick. Find it a bit more fluid than with the xbox pad at least. 

It's a fucking great game too. Got that 'wtf' factor of Hard Corps. 

Is there a way to jump higher or some kind of trick to gain more height? There's a 1up on the first stage and other platforms on others stages that I can't get to with the jump button.

11 hours ago, The Eagle Lord said:

Just booted this up for a game on the xbox and the first thing i love other than the retro intro is the fact that it turns your xbox one gamer pic into pixel art. 

Stupid but i liked that!

Ha I noticed that too, lovely little touch isn't it :)

7 hours ago, Max Damage said:

Is there a way to jump higher or some kind of trick to gain more height? There's a 1up on the first stage and other platforms on others stages that I can't get to with the jump button.

There's a "Bot" for that :).

6 hours ago, Horribleman said:

Is it out on switch

Yup, but if you perhaps weren't aware then it's been released straight onto GamePass :)

• Upvote 1