rllmuk
Luseth

Games with abysmal starts that turned out to be quite good....

Trails in the Sky. To the extent I've never actually got past the first bit. Which is shit cos I've heard it gets bloody good after 10 hours or so of boringness.

Any mainline Pokemon game in the last 10 years.

The hand holding has basically become ridiculous.

• Empathy 1

Mario maker on the WiiU which had timed release of types of levels and things you could use in said levels. The first few hours on release were comprised of you designing the most basic levels possible because you didn't have much choice.

Eventually they ditched that idea (I think) because it was terrible.

• Upvote 2

On 20/06/2019 at 22:28, Freeman said:

I think Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is in here for me. A couple of hours of thinking the battle mechanics will click (and it doesn’t), then a read of an online battle guide, then another couple of hours and it’s my favourite game of the last decade.

Which guide? So far for me it's the worst RPG I've played in a long time. I've just got the bit where the open world opens up (probably 2-3 hrs in).

On 21/06/2019 at 20:46, El Spatula said:

Trails in the Sky. To the extent I've never actually got past the first bit. Which is shit cos I've heard it gets bloody good after 10 hours or so of boringness.

It doesn't, in fact I'd say it gets worse. Everything - from animations to text speed is so very ponderous, the combat is boring, the materia - sorry, orbment mechanic never gets interesting and there's so. much. text.

Worse still, the plot doesn't even open up and start going somewhere until very close to the end and there's a really creepy romantic sub-plot to boot.

I know the second game is a direct continuation of this one, with the same mechanics, but I don't know if the transition to 3D actually makes the games any good or not.

3 hours ago, Gorf said:

MGS 5 Phantom Pain

First hour was the longest of my life

That's the curious phenomenon where it also falls apart even further along. 

For a long time that game could be the best game ever made, unfortunately a huge swathe of it is a bit shit. 

• Upvote 1

On 20/06/2019 at 21:28, Freeman said:

I think Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is in here for me. A couple of hours of thinking the battle mechanics will click (and it doesn’t), then a read of an online battle guide, then another couple of hours and it’s my favourite game of the last decade.

It's an absolute gem. I didn't think the Xenoblade series would get its heart back after the cold, task-oriented X, but 2 is just full of clever landscape spectacle, likeable characters and a sense of camaraderie that's only equalled in a JRPG by the optimistic chums from Skies Of Arcadia. 

I sometimes wonder whether XC2 would have been even better had Zelda: BotW not cannibalised its staff. 3 programmers!

https://segmentnext.com/2018/02/06/impacted-xenoblade-chronicles-2-team/

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Ryan said:

Which guide? So far for me it's the worst RPG I've played in a long time. I've just got the bit where the open world opens up (probably 2-3 hrs in).

I think I used this, at least as a starter.

https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/6369-xenoblade-chronicles-2-combat-guide-battle-system-and-combat-strategy-tips-for-battles-in-alrest

I read it a couple of times then practiced a bit probably around where you are.  Once I got passed it I started to enjoy the battles, and then the combination of the story, fantastic translation and voice acting, your friends, I mean the characters, music, and those moments when the scenery opens up... :)

2 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

It's an absolute gem. I didn't think the Xenoblade series would get its heart back after the cold, task-oriented X, but 2 is just full of clever landscape spectacle, likeable characters and a sense of camaraderie that's only equalled in a JRPG by the optimistic chums from Skies Of Arcadia. 

I sometimes wonder whether XC2 would have been even better had Zelda: BotW not cannibalised its staff. 3 programmers!

https://segmentnext.com/2018/02/06/impacted-xenoblade-chronicles-2-team/

On the whole, I enjoyed it more than BotW, and put more time into it too. Fingers crossed there is a 3 and it’s as well done!

On 23/06/2019 at 08:16, Freeman said:

I think I used this, at least as a starter.

https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/6369-xenoblade-chronicles-2-combat-guide-battle-system-and-combat-strategy-tips-for-battles-in-alrest

I read it a couple of times then practiced a bit probably around where you are.  Once I got passed it I started to enjoy the battles, and then the combination of the story, fantastic translation and voice acting, your friends, I mean the characters, music, and those moments when the scenery opens up... :)

Thanks, I'll pick it up again :) BTW an adblocker is required to view the site, without one it freezes O_O

On 21/06/2019 at 17:54, Gambit said:

Dragon Age Inquisition. There's a reason everyone tells you to leave the Hinterlands as soon as you can. Unfortunately for those that love to do everything in an area before moving on, it wasn't the best introduction. 

Does it genuinely get good? I haven’t played any other DA games an canned it around The Hinterlands but have always felt a little bad about doing so.

Should I go back?

1 hour ago, carlito said:

Does it genuinely get good? I haven’t played any other DA games an canned it around The Hinterlands but have always felt a little bad about doing so.

Should I go back?

Yeah definitely. Once you're able to go anywhere else in the world and leave the Hinterlands do it. 

It's not the best game in the series (that's still Origins) but it's still a very good sequel. 

1 hour ago, carlito said:

Should I go back?

It's still one of my favourite RPGs this gen. 

On 20/06/2019 at 21:34, Dimahoo said:

Bloody Gran turismo. The entire series!

Depends on what you mean. I'm assuming you're talking about having to use a slow, basic car? That's actually my favourite part of the games. It's the point where you get the best, closest racing, before it essentially becomes a horsepower arms race.

However:

1) licence tests can fuck right off. They feel like a deliberate attempt at slowing your progress, with no real benefits. They don't teach you to drive any better, for a start. The later games made them optional.

2) on launch, the fifth game in the series was literally half the game it should have been. It vastly improved as it got patched, but it really wasn't very good at first

I meant the licenses. Sorry, figured everyone would know that but whilst they were made optional, the fact you got a car at the end kind of made them compulsory. 

And they didn't really change. Ever!

I don't know how many there in total. But its a fucking lot.

Hitman: Blood Money.

That first (tutorial) mission is horrible and nothing like the rest of the game. I know a few folk who never saw beyond that level and they missed one of the best games ever made!

• Upvote 1

Pokemon Go.

It wasn’t terrible on launch* (in fact tracking nearby Pokemon was infinitely better then than it is now) but it was lightweight. Catching, hatching and gyms. Done.

* if we ignore the server issues.

Since then it’s had a complete rework of the gym system and added

• raids (for solo and multiplayer participation)
  • quests (and occasional special “story” quest lines for specific, often mythical rewards)
  • PvP battles
  • weather based spawns
  • shinys
  • and almost never ending series of events (maybe not a good thing)

I’m not trying to say it’s now the greatest thing in gaming, or that it’s actually a deep set of gameplay mechanics. And it’s not surprising they’ve kept adding to it as it’s a money making powerhouse. But they’ve kept plugging away and keeping a pretty large fan base playing, and attracting the odd new player for something like 3 years now.

12 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Pokemon Go.

It wasn’t terrible on launch* (in fact tracking nearby Pokemon was infinitely better then than it is now) but it was lightweight. Catching, hatching and gyms. Done.

* if we ignore the server issues.

Since then it’s had a complete rework of the gym system and added

• raids (for solo and multiplayer participation)
  • quests (and occasional special “story” quest lines for specific, often mythical rewards)
  • PvP battles
  • weather based spawns
  • shinys
  • and almost never ending series of events (maybe not a good thing)

I’m not trying to say it’s now the greatest thing in gaming, or that it’s actually a deep set of gameplay mechanics. And it’s not surprising they’ve kept adding to it as it’s a money making powerhouse. But they’ve kept plugging away and keeping a pretty large fan base playing, and attracting the odd new player for something like 3 years now.

It's also interesting right now to compare to Wizards Unite, which obviously very much builds on Pokemon Go.

When it launched, Pokemon Go was one of the most friendly free to play game, in fact, over the 3 or so years, I haven't put much money into it at all, and still play daily.

The money element is becoming clearer now, with most events prioritising something you need to buy - incubators for increased hatch rate and candy,  passes for raid hours.

Wizards Unite seems much more tightly controlled from the start.  Multiple bags that are very restrictive and need growing very quickly.  Discount box icon on the main screen and a number of in game currencies presumably designed to confuse players.  I also noticed the discount box was priced in £ not coins for example.

At the same time, it takes things Pokemon does badly and improves - such as the story quest, the skill (vs. tap tap tap at the cost of strategy I guess).

I wonder if both will evolve in similar ways now.