rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

This guy did a piece about the state of the old guard pundits in football and how they are just pretty bitter about it all. 

Not a particular fan of his, but popped up yesterday. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, Gotters said:

in what will come as a surprise to Chelsea & Man City fans who believe football started somewhere around 2003 tonights game between Villa and Everton is the most played fixture in the top flight, with this being the 203rd meeting.

It ended in 2004. About the time Arsenal TV started. 

35 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Apparently a deal has been agreed to sell Bury at the 11th hour. 

I just felt a disturbance in the force, like a half-dozen tabloid sport editors sighing and deleting their “DEAD AND BURY-ED” backpage drafts.

• Upvote 1

On 21/08/2019 at 15:56, glb said:

He also is a bit of square peg in a round hole at Bayern. Was at times wonderful for Liverpool but the side has progressed since his protracted departure.

He’s always welcome at the Anfield museum to see the European Cup his ridiculous transfer fee essentially won.

and Neymar is welcome too, his transfer caused Coutinhos transfer, thanks Neymar mate!

• Upvote 1

Fucking get in Aston Villa!  We are definitely having to work hard just to hang in this division which feels odd after spending large parts of the last two seasons just outclassing teams but it's so much more satisfying to get a win up here.  The lads were great tonight, Mings and Engels look like they've been playing together for years and Wesley looks a different player altogether when the confidence is flowing.

I think Everton have to look at starting with Kean and Iwobi if they want to score goals this season but we did well to beat a very solid side. Palace away and West Ham at home coming up, I'd like to see at least one win from those two before we get spanked by Arsenal. 

• Upvote 3

Glad Villa got that win, they deserved it.

Everton are always gonna Everton of course but they seem to be in the phase City were at when that Thai money first turned up, and they were splashing fortunes on the likes of Jo. It doesn't seem like there is a sensible plan in place and its hoovering up names fans have heard of for inflated fees in the hope of throwing a team together.

Their spend has been huge in recent seasons but who have they got now Gueye has gone that the biggest teams would covet ?

9 hours ago, Timmo said:

I don't really understand what you're saying... Do you mean he basically types up their whitterings? What a job.

Yes. Almost every article that is an opinion piece from a BBC pundit has a little italicised footnote stating they were speaking to Chris Bevan.

I haven't been able to find an example this morning, though.

Matchday again! Fc Schaffhausen takes on Fc Lausanne-Ouchy, the newcomers to the league. They should get a clear win, but then again they lost in last weekends cup-tie against a side 2 leagues lower... and consisting of amateur players. Apparently the club wants to focus on the league :rolleyes:

Anyway, here's to hoping for a first home win, which would make it two wins in a row after they beat Grasshoppers a fortnight ago.

• Upvote 1

If Teemu Pukki continues like this in the top flight, then Norwich will face a fight to keep him by the end of January. He looked fantastic last season in Division 1, but looks right at home here in the opening three games already. 

Or he's the next Michu. But  he has a season of good form in the Championship as proof of his quality and not being a one season wonder.

Just now, ryodi said:

Or he's the next Michu. But  he has a season of good form in the Championship as proof of his quality and not being a one season wonder.

Always a possibility, but that doesn't stop clubs going big on players like that.

I’m reminded of that bloke at Wigan, Amr Zaki, went off fast at start of a season getting something silly like 10 in 10 then sat in fantasy teams goalless for the rest of the season.

Hope Norwich do well as I’d rather watch them than the shit the likes of Pulis, Hughes, Allardyce have made us endure for years.

9 minutes ago, ryodi said:

That's a bit harsh on Michu, I don't think he was lacking quality, he'd already proved himself in Spain before coming to Swansea. I know he only had the one great season for us Swans, but that was because of injury and a rush back into the first team before he was fully healed. He never really ever recovered from that, the fact that he had to retire early will always be a regret in that regard. 

• Upvote 2

OK, I didn't know enough about what happened to me so I always remember him as a player who came from nowhere, had one incredible season and then disappeared. 

Kepa should have saved the shot from Pukki 

BT Sport employs lots of terrible analysts but Chris Sutton has to be the worst of the lot. 

Yeah that one was on Kepa.

Can't argue with the disallowed goal either, it's not deliberate from Giroud but it doesn't have to be deliberate to be a foul and the goal doesn't happen without it.

Chris Sutton has been appalling on this game - he seems to think he’s still trying to get callers to ring into 5live so is just taking the contrary view to anything. 

Whats the point in VAR if it doesn't even bother giving decisions like that stamp on Mount? What the hell are they looking at?

And now he's injured and subbed off.

Apparently Palace have offered Benteke a new contract...

Pukki has scored more Premier League goals in 2 games than Big Ben has scored in 2 years.

Even Darren Huckerby is mugging us off

Screenshot_20190824-141103_Chrome.jpg

3 hours ago, ryodi said:

Michu's ankle exploded on him which basically flattened his career.  

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

Chris Sutton has been appalling on this game - he seems to think he’s still trying to get callers to ring into 5live so is just taking the contrary view to anything. 

Said it before and I'll say it again but Chris Sutton's transition from Premier League footballer into miserable middle aged cunt has been spectacular.  

So far all away wins in the premier league, get your money on Arsenal. 

Edit: Scratch that, but still put your money on Arsenal. 

I wasn't aware other teams were allowed to win in Fergie Time at Old Trafford!!!!

A fair slice of luck in there for Palace, but dear god did we need a lucky game.

• Upvote 1

VAR isn't what was sold to the public, it was meant to fix the bad decisions but you have the foul on Rodri for Man city that wasn't given and now a foul by VVD in the lead up to Liverpools goal that just gets ignored. 

This whole not re-refereeing the game thing is crap. Premiership refs and crap and VAR was meant to help them when they miss things but it just isn't.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Empathy 1