rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

football lawmakers are already looking into the wording of offside and the part VAR plays in overruling decisions.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/var-offside-decisions-under-review-8v8bdhmz7

this will run and run all season, I remain convinced VAR is the way to go and understand the argument that its not about over turning 'clear and obvious' errors as offside isn't subjective, its binary, you are or you aren't offside - that said even as somebody who likes the idea of VAR and not a City fan I felt it a bit unsatisfactory with the fine margins being demonstrated in the game at the weekend for Sterling's efforts.

do the current rules specify the ball being played as when the kicker's foot makes contact with the ball or stops making contact with the ball? It struck me that Sterling's offside call was close enough that it actually matters. And the camera angle for that decision, I'm not sure you could tell anyway.

6 minutes ago, milko said:

do the current rules specify the ball being played as when the kicker's foot makes contact with the ball or stops making contact with the ball? It struck me that Sterling's offside call was close enough that it actually matters. And the camera angle for that decision, I'm not sure you could tell anyway.

Rule 11 "The first point of contact of the 'play' or 'touch' of the ball should be used"

but in theory a player could "catch" the ball on their foot, have another player run into an offside position, and then they hook the ball up over to them? That doesn't make sense.

Or does it?

• Upvote 1

I think in that scenario the rule 11 has it covered fine then yes, but there's no reason defenders would be trying to trap someone offside in that moment? Dunno. Anyway, I am appeased, thanks.

I'm putting this in the main football thread rather than the League 1 and below thread for some wider awareness.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49330590

I think Bury are about to be the first club shut down by the HMRC/EFL. Stopping their only significant source of income, postponing their fixtures is counter productive. The only way I can see this ending positively is for Dale to go but reading his quotes, it is unlikely. It's a massive shame for Bury's supporters. 

• Upvote 3

Man City get away with a fine for something Chelsea were banned from two transfer windows for

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49337051

Manchester City have avoided a transfer ban after admitting breaching Fifa rules on signing youth players.

The Premier League champions have been fined 370,000 Swiss Francs (£315,000).

Fifa said City breached article 19 of its regulations: "International transfers of players are only permitted if the player is over the age of 18."

Chelsea were banned from signing players for two transfer windows for a similar rule breach - but the club are appealing to have that overturned.

• Upvote 1

On 11/08/2019 at 11:26, ryodi said:

Same with Chelsea. They were the breakout oil money club of the 00s and have constant success since then but there's barely any mention of them here unless something disastrous has happened or they are playing one of United, Liverpool, Arsenal or Spurs. I can only assume everyone here picked their club in the 90s at the latest.

I started supporting them in division two. It’s been quite a ride.

and of course I’ll still support them in the championship next year...

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Wish to fuck I watched that Celtic game tonight.

Even the MBM was hilarious.

6 hours ago, Gotters said:

Weren't Chelsea found guilty of 29 breaches of the rule, don't know how many City are up for.

27 or 28.

Fair enough. Although like Chelsea I wonder if the player they signed who caused the fine will ever actually make an appearance of will be sent out on loan every year until his contract runs out.

Reports say City got a lesser punishment as accepted the offences, City also claimed that the events took place before the rules on this were officially clarified and that was also part of the mitigation.

I know we don't talk about Wolves here any more but pointless gossip time; half the Pyunik Yerevan (tomorrow night's opposition) are hanging around in the Bullring in Birmingham right now in their team gear.  Looks like they've got the afternoon off or something and are just hitting the shops. We can go back to coverage of the top six now. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Naysonymous said:

I know we don't talk about Wolves here any more but pointless gossip time; half the Pyunik Yerevan (tomorrow night's opposition) are hanging around in the Bullring in Birmingham right now in their team gear.  Looks like they've got the afternoon off or something and are just hitting the shops. We can go back to coverage of the top six now. 

I think we're allowed to talk about Pyunik Yerevan, they finished second last season.  Big game for them tomorrow!  Their first competitive game on English soil I believe if they can turn around the 4-0 score from the first leg, they get a glamour tie with Torino.

They obviously feel pretty relaxed about it all if they're out shopping.  Hope they're enjoying the beautiful English summer time.

We're ok to talk about our next game too as the opponents are one of the Sky Six.

• Upvote 1

That sort of thing happens a fair bit. Quite a few times I've seen foreign teams hanging around in Cardiff in their team tracksuits. Back in 2002 I was working in Debenhams when the Italy squad that lost 2-1 to Wales wandered in together. Buffon, Nesta, Del Piero, Pirlo, the lot. Of course, this had to happen when I was on lunch so I missed them. I've seen the England cricket team wandering around the St David's centre the day before a 1-day international at Sophia Gardens. Absolutely no-one else recognised them, as far as I could tell.

Bloody hell, I'm one to complain about other people's boring posts. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I guess we could talk about the Super Cup.  Anyone give Chelsea a chance?  Why is it always in Monaco?

Knowing the integrity of the football authorities, I’d imagine it’s for tax evasion purposes. 

• Upvote 1

Funny game tonight - I almost think losing it is a bigger deal than winning.

Chelsea will be declared to be in full blown crisis if they lose, and if Liverpool fail they've stacked it to crisis hit Chelsea and will never close the massive 1 point gap on City from last season.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I guess we could talk about the Super Cup.  Anyone give Chelsea a chance?  Why is it always in Monaco?

Monaco is in Istanbul tonight...

• Upvote 1