Football Thread 2019/2020

On 30/05/2020 at 20:30, glb said:

Think Bayern suffer a bit in the same way PSG do in Europe; they’re dominant in their league but aren’t battled hardened when up against other big European sides.

City favourites with their squad I reckon. Pep was brought in to win that competition, he should be under enormous pressure if they don’t win it this year (although the European ban appeal might be a bigger factor on his future anyway)

LOL. I’m one game away from Keegan-esque levels of prediction egg on face.

:hmm:

This doesn't really get said often enough:

I guess I can't really take the moral high round when it comes to Leipzig - they may well be "a marketing strategy for a drinks brand", but Manchester United have of course been willing to become a marketing strategy for many similar products, as long as enough money is involved. I guess it's not the only reason we exist, but it does feel like it's up in the air sometimes.

Can you imagine Owen Hargreaves on BT saying something like this though? Maybe just casually mentioning that PSG club is part of a massive sportswashing campaign, along with the 2022 world cup? I very much envy the Irish media landscape when I see things like this - it appears to be permissible to state facts live on national television there.

• Upvote 2
15 minutes ago, Liamness said:

but Manchester United have of course been willing to become a marketing strategy for many similar products, as long as enough money is involved. I guess it's not the only reason we exist, but it does feel like it's up in the air sometimes.

What are you on about? Our tractor and noodle partnerships are very prestigious. 

• Upvote 3

Bayern just relentless again.  They were really under the cosh for 25 minutes, Lyon missed a sitter, hit the post and had several other opportunities which you'd feel that they'd regret not taking. Sixty seconds after Lyon hit the post Gnabry scores an absolute screamer (apparently he wasn't good enough for West Brom, you'd think they'd mention a fact as obscure as that in the media wouldn't you?) and it's basically been one way traffic ever since.  Only 2-0 at half time, Gnabry with both of them but as Lyon have to come out and force the issue now I can see them getting picked apart.   

I met Gnabry once. He was sat in the lobby of The Grange in Watford away from his West Brom team mates with a face like a pair of tits, no doubt having been told Brown Ideye was getting the nod again. Nice bloke though.

Gnabry quite freely admits in an interview I saw his attitude was awful and he deserved not to get picked at West Brom.

It's not quite one of this stories football fans love, like Don Howe turning his nose up to signing Maradona at Arsenal or Chelsea having both Salah & De Bruyne on their books and letting them leave.

On 19/08/2020 at 23:58, Art Vandelay said:

I met Gnabry once. He was sat in the lobby of The Grange in Watford away from his West Brom team mates with a face like a pair of tits, no doubt having been told Brown Ideye was getting the nod again. Nice bloke though.

You mean the Grove?