Football Thread 2019/2020

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

This is what I said the other day - the ghost goal happened at the best time for it to happen - the first game back - so all those in the relegation fight had enough games to change their outcome. Blaming technology for the team's failings over those remaining games (even ignoring what went on pre-lockdown) is pretty shameless - though sadly not unexpected due to the money within the PL.

I don't think this argument holds much water, I imagine they were trying to change their outcome every game of the season.

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

Bournemouth talking about suing HawkEye, as if it were a 1 in 4000 error that sent them down and not say, losing 22 matches.

I guess this is an act of sheer desperation. I would imagine that relegation is more of a financial disaster for Bournemouth than either of the other two teams. They are a small club with a small stadium, but over the years in the Premier League they have spent a surprising amount of money. They are likely to lose their manager who runs everything at the club, so they will have to completely restructure and the chances of them coming back up are therefore pretty slim. Despite years in the top division, they don't have a lot of assets to sell off - Harry Wilson was a loanee, and they will need to get as much as they can for Aki, Brooks, and possibly Lewis Cook. I can't see anyone breaking the bank for Callum Wilson, Josh King, or Junior Stanislas. I reckon they might be in trouble. 

• Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I don't think this argument holds much water, I imagine they were trying to change their outcome every game of the season.

Well it's more that they should've launched a challenge the moment it happened, rather than only once their fate was decided. They could then have gone with an added argument about the integrity of the competition etc (especially if those around the bottom joined with any action).

A squad player for Real Madrid, Mariano, has tested positive for COVID-19. Liverpool fans are having some fun on twitter and saying "cancel the competition, declare it null and void, some things are more important than sports", "the trophy will be tainted", etc. In all seriousness it seems like he caught it on holiday and has had no contact with the rest of the squad, so very unlikely to affect the game with City.

So the CAS judgment has been released. city don’t contest they cheated with regards to one sponsorship. But it’s ok because it’s time barred.

• Upvote 3

Guardiola has a huge blind spot when it comes to ethics. Let's not forget he had no problem with doping as a player and if we're being honest, his Barcelona team were up to the eye balls too. I'm sure he'd say he has no idea about all these financial misdealings, but he's complicit in it by happily going along with the whole thing. 

• Upvote 5

Not their worse CB purchase. Time to update their list:

Kompany - £7m

Kolo - £16m

Lescott - £22m

Boateng - £11m

Savic - £6m 

Nastasić - £12m

Demichelis - £3.5m

Mangala - £40m

Otamendi - £32m

Stones - £50m

Walker* - £45m

Laporte - £57m

Ake - £40m 

*not signed as a CB but played that position for a good while 

They'll probably end up with Koulibaly too. 

And is less exciting news Brighton sign another CB (Joel Veltman) to add to The 77 other defensive players we already have. I know we need some squad depth but to be able to field an entire team of defenders suggests we may have too many.

1 hour ago, DirkCrisis said:

And is less exciting news Brighton sign another CB (Joel Veltman) to add to The 77 other defensive players we already have. I know we need some squad depth but to be able to field an entire team of defenders suggests we may have too many.

Leeds fans take that to be confirmation of Ben White leaving, of course :lol:

It'll be Shane Duffy and Martin Montoya at a guess. I should imagine White will be a feature for us next season albeit with a lot of rotation.

The vitriol aimed at Ben White by some Leeds fans for betraying the club suggests that they maybe didn't understand the concept of a season long loan. 

The Newcastle takeover thing is a disaster really. I understand why it has fallen through partly because of the wide scale piracy of Premier League games in the Kingdom but mostly because they really are unsuitable owners. But it's also a huge loss for the local economy and the club who are still stuck with Mike Ashley. Can Steve Bruce keep working miracles with what he has? 

Saudi’s pulled out to save face before they had the shame of doing the impossible and failing the ‘Fit and proper persons’ test.

It would seem to me that murdering journos, human rights abuses and state pirating of premier league rights (you can guess the ranking yourself of importance) is too much even for the PL to ignore.

It's amazing that they've done so well in the PL, basically not having to fight a relegation battle. I still think Joelinton was the result of some complex money laundering operation I don't really understand.

but I don't know how sustainable it it. I wouldn't wish a shitty owner on any club, but there do seem to be a lot of them about.

58 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

The vitriol aimed at Ben White by some Leeds fans for betraying the club suggests that they maybe didn't understand the concept of a season long loan. 

Really? I haven't seen any of that, though it doesn't surprise me. Some fans are absolute dicks. I think he'd happily come back, guaranteed first team football, has made friends in the squad but I have a feeling Leeds won't want to pay what Brighton (quite rightly) want for him. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

I think he's a decent player, but the one time I saw him live he was comprehensively outshone by Sol Bamba. 

This is one of my favourite goals/moments I’ve ever been at.  

Was just to the right of the goal for this. The whole thing is just great after an awful 90 minutes of dross where it looked like we would squander a must win against ten men.

Injury time: The overhead kick hitting the post, chaos, goal and the celebration. Capped off by the post match interview where we find out the referee asked him if he took his shirt off and he told him No. :lol:

He has been brilliant for Cardiff from the very first game when Warnock brought him and Hoilet in as free agents outside the transfer window before his first game in charge. 

• Upvote 1

Man, to think that Liverpool decided against signing him permanently because we wanted the superstar that was El Hadji Diouf instead :lol: Houllier was a decent manager but, boy, he sure bought a lot of trash in the transfer market.

Good old Anelka, his forced move to Real from Arsenal paid for our London Colney training and medical centre.

Wellbeck, Walcott, Diaby, Rosicky and Ramsey all have him to thank for their years of luxury treatment whilst they prepared for their 5 games a season

• Upvote 6
18 hours ago, Gotters said:

Der Spiegel have apparently published more leaked emails today showing that City lied to CAS at recent hearing

I for one am shocked. 

• Upvote 4