Football Thread 2019/2020

I guess in fairness it depends how you judge these things. Henderson and Rashford have done a lot of good work off the pitch so maybe that counts for something in the eyes of some voters. De Bruyne has been the actual best player by miles though.

11 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Jordan Henderson has been named Football Writers POTY for some reason. I get that he's the captain of the best side, but come on.

edit: Rashford 3rd? Maddison? Jonny Evans?? Wan-Bissaka??? Not sure that football journalists deserve human rights to be honest.

It's like Sky's policy on naming a man of the match.

"Who scored the most important goal? Them."

• Upvote 2

It's one of those wanky nomination things where you are trying to prove you are a deeper thinker about something - don't go for the bloke who creates more assists than any defender has a right to, or the goalie, the CB, the blokes who score the goals. 

Oh no, go for the water carrier in midfield and when questioned talk about influence, bringing the team together and other such intangible guff.

• Upvote 2

I think it’s deserved. The most important player in the best team in the league because Liverpool have been very average without him this season. 

• Upvote 4

"As grateful as I am I don't feel like I can accept this on my own," he said. 

"I owe a lot to so many people but none more so than my current team-mates, who have been incredible and deserve this every bit as much as I do."

"I accept [the award] on behalf of this whole squad, because without them I'm not in a position to be receiving this honour. These lads have made me a better player - a better leader and a better person.

"If anything I hope those who voted for me did so partly to recognise the entire team's contribution."

:wub:

Apparently a photograph exists of Henry Winter where he's wearing jeans and a denim jacket and incredibly has paired that with a stonewashed baseball cap too. Without knowing for sure I'm saying the probability of this being at Baden Baden is 100%. 

• Upvote 1

Is the FWA prize 1 vote per journo, or do they name a top 3/5/10?

If it's the former the person who voted for Wan-Bissaka should be fired from whatever publication they write for.

Even as a Liverpool fan the idea that Jordan Henderson is the best player of this season is laughable.

De Bruyne is clearly miles ahead of every other player in the league currently.

The FWA generally isn't only about on-filed performances and generally encompasses a whole lot more. 

Personally I think it should be as so....

FWA - Henderson / Rashford (shared)
PFA Player of the Year - De Bruyne

• Upvote 1

Football Journalists are asked the question'Who is your player of the year?'.

How they decide is entirely open to their personal interpretation, and (from a few tweets I've read over the years) it appears that many of them feel a duty to look beyond just goal and assist stats.

So given Rashford's heroics in getting the government to supply free school meals to the poorest members of our society (over a million UK children currently living in poverty in case you didn't know), that would explain his position.

It's not a humanitarian award. Looking back at the winners in my lifetime I wouldn't say it's anything to do with anything other than them being the best that season at kicking the ball into the net, or stopping that happening. I don't think anyone cares that much, but let's not pretend being an around nice chap has ever been part of the criteria. 

Hey, take it up with the journalists who voted. A bunch of white, middle-aged, middle class males already suffering from the illusions of grandeur that they somehow know more about football than the managers they regularly criticise, ponder for two whole minutes while eating a hob-nob that maybe, this year, of all years, the award should be a bit more worthy.

• Empathy 1
3 hours ago, Gotters said:

It's one of those wanky nomination things where you are trying to prove you are a deeper thinker about something - don't go for the bloke who creates more assists than any defender has a right to, or the goalie, the CB, the blokes who score the goals. 

Oh no, go for the water carrier in midfield and when questioned talk about influence, bringing the team together and other such intangible guff.

And this is the kind of guff which proves you don't watch anything outside of MOTD regarding Henderson. Having said that Henderson hasn't been our best player though, feels very Giggs for SPOTY.  It's been given to him cause of his tenure and quite possibility his off field stuff during the pandemic.

No votes for Salah just shows how underapprecuated he is too.

29 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

And this is the kind of guff which proves you don't watch anything outside of MOTD regarding Henderson. 

Very rarely watch MotD and on off-chance i do always ffwd thru liverpool games and the analysis bits.

I can judge with my own eyes the limited qualities of Henderson (who IIRC even the staunchest LDFers wanted out for quite a while).

He’s useful sure, but shouldn’t be on any list called player of the season or that sort of thing.

• Empathy 2
23 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Very rarely watch MotD and on off-chance i do always ffwd thru liverpool games and the analysis bits.

I can judge with my own eyes the limited qualities of Henderson (who IIRC even the staunchest LDFers wanted out for quite a while).

He’s useful sure, but shouldn’t be on any list called player of the season or that sort of thing.

So bascially you've seen fuck all of him then and calling him a water carrier. Gotcha.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

So bascially you've seen fuck all of him then and calling him a water carrier. Gotcha.

well there is live football to watch, not just MotD

I have liverpool on live in the hope it’ll be a defeat (which hasn’t worked out much this season) but with highlights I’m not wasting my time watching a guaranteed win i already know about.

10 minutes ago, Gotters said:

well there is live football to watch, not just MotD

I have liverpool on live in the hope it’ll be a defeat (which hasn’t worked out much this season) but with highlights I’m not wasting my time watching a guaranteed win i already know about.

The thought of you watching Liverpool repeatedly this season and kicking your dog when they win again and again is great :lol:

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, dizogg said:

The thought of you watching Liverpool repeatedly this season and kicking your dog when they win again and again is great :lol:

I had a good run for 30y of league failure and will always have the joy of Gerrard falling over.

• Empathy 1

And despite the pointlessness of individual awards in a team sport, this is the reason we should always keep them - to ensure the non-stop flow of amazing football opinions.

'Despite Liverpool's resources, the manager spending a world record sum on a defender, the club spending the second most amount of money in history on a goalkeeper, the fact that players all over the world would jump at the chance to play for both Liverpool and the manager, Klopp has not only stuck by Henderson, but made him captain of a Premier League winning, Champions League winning team. 

But he's wrong cos I can judge with my own eyes the limited qualities of him even though I don't watch Liverpool.'

• Upvote 9
25 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Heh.  Someone elsewhere posted who won the award in 1999, the year that Man United won the Treble.

Reveal hidden contents

David Ginola

The joys of a split vote.