Football Thread 2019/2020

2 minutes ago, spork said:

How many of these were legit penalties and how many were dodgy like tonight's?

I’m only messing, i don’t really think there’s anything dodgy going on, but I do feel the larger clubs benefit from unconscious bias, and VAR just gives that more opportunity to benefit. 

United have looked fantastic since their second game back. I really wish they weren’t in the Europa League. 

9 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I think what's happening is that since the restart, VAR isn't intervening as much in those "matter of opinion" decisions. So you get ones like the Bournemouth decision where you can see it hit the guy's arm on the way in, and the ref just hasn't seen it - that gets overruled. Ones like this where two players have come together they seem to be sticking with the referee's opinion of what happened, no matter how mad.  The only one of these I can remember being overturned off the top of my head is the Arsenal sending off the other day, and that involved the ref viewing the incident on the screen. 

Before you start, I know you're all going to say it's not a matter of opinion - it's obvious what has happened, and I agree, it is. But Moss has seen that and in his kind of baffling opinion the defender has made a challenge. For some reason the VAR guy has looked at it and probably said it isn't clear whether he did or not, so they stuck with the onfield decision, as they have tended to do recently. Anything where you can sort of see it either way, even if you really have to squint, they're backing the referee at the moment. 

Perhaps it could have been solved by Moss checking the monitor, but I bet if he had he would have stuck with his decision. 

You reasoning for moss giving the penalty just highlights what I've been saying. They are incompetent and should be replaced. 

1 minute ago, hercules said:

You reasoning for moss giving the penalty just highlights what I've been saying. They are incompetent and should be replaced. 

We all know they're incompetent.

• Upvote 1

The problem is the Media and everyone will play this as a reason to get ride of VAR, used right VAR works. we saw that in the world cup and in the womans world cup. the problem is the people we have using it and PGMOL dictating how it is used to protect their own incompetent officials. WHich was proved when they rolled out some stat ages ago that they get like 99.5% of decisions rights. the issues being god know how many of those decisions are player x took a shot and blasted it over we gave a goal kick. good job everyone lets pat each other on the back and add it to the correct pile. 

2 minutes ago, humdrum said:

OGS thinks it was a clear penalty....

Wait until you find out the sort of thing Wenger used to say in the post match interviews to defend his team!

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, spork said:

Wait until you find out the sort of thing Wenger used to say in the post match interviews to defend his team!

Ah the old but they did it first defence.

and if memory serves right everyone had a go at Wenger for it?   

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, humdrum said:

Ah the old but they did it first defence.

and if memory serves right everyone had a go at Wenger for it?   

It was more you taking what Ole said at face value like a big numpty. Pretty much every manager will publicly defend their players in a situation like that and as an Arsenal fan I'd have thought you'd be well aware but apparently not. :eyebrows:

And I'm pretty sure everyone mocked Wenger because he apparently never saw anything.

Wasn't there one time when an Arsenal player fouled an opponent right on the touchline by the managers' dugouts? Wenger was interviewed about it and, with a knowing grin, said something like, "I was super close but I still didn't see it.".

3 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I’m only messing, i don’t really think there’s anything dodgy going on, but I do feel the larger clubs benefit from unconscious bias, and VAR just gives that more opportunity to benefit. . 

it’s been like that for years. Fuck Man Utd over and its on Sky Sports News every fifteen minutes for three days, fuck whoever they are playing over and it’s forgotten about as soon as the next game kicks off. Match officials are aware of that, even if it’s only on a subconscious level. 

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

it’s been like that for years. Fuck Man Utd over and its on Sky Sports News every fifteen minutes for three days, fuck whoever they are playing over and it’s forgotten about as soon as the next game kicks off. Match officials are aware of that, even if it’s only on a subconscious level. 

Exactly.

On top of this, VAR is targeted as it's a very visual thing for the fans, but the truth is, many of the big decisions in the sport are made to appease the largest clubs, and to stop them breaking away.  Off the top of my head, four spots for the Champions League means more often than not the biggest clubs will be in that competition and reap the financial awards, the restructure of the Champions League away from straight knockout means in general these clubs will get deep into the competition, and FFP is arranged to stop clubs like Villa catching up to them.

Non of these things are put in place for the good of the competition but to ensure the status quo.  It's no wonder people wonder about VAR.

2 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

The Premier League have come out and said VAR messed up penalty calls in all 3 of last night’s games.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53357841

What a mess its been this season.

The good news is that these pricks will still be making bad decisions in the next set of matches. Hurrah. 

At some point they need to get rid of them. 3 mistakes in a single day?!?

I'm still annoyed by the Villa and Spurs' decisions, even though I don't support either club (didn't see the Southampton one.) I know Ole has to defend his team, but his defence is admitting Fernandes raked his studs down Konsa's shin? What?

As for Spurs, as much of an injustice as theirs was, they were awful yesterday, absolutely awful and couldn't even manage a shot on target - and then he moans about teams playing defensively :lol: Good old Jose, always entertaining.

From what I read, FIFA taking control will just mean refs are told to make use of the monitors - but if it's VAR instructing them to do so, would it have changed things yesterday or would they still say "Nope, these appalling decisions are both fine to stand?"

So what we can learn from this list is being Man Utd helps, having a rat diver helps (Vardy, Saha, Hazard, Sterling, Salah), being Wolves or Arsenal doesn't help. The exception to this flawless logic is Spurs, who are full of divers but seem to not get the pens in the league.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Plissken said:

I reckon the number for my lot is 76. Maybe 38.

I suspected they were off the list as you have to have players in the opponents penalty box to actually get pens (unless you are Man Utd)

• Upvote 4
9 minutes ago, ryodi said:

If they get past Real this could be City’s year.

They'll have to face probably Barca or Bayern in the semi, but they have a good chance.

Anyway, 15 minutes to the important draw, the one with Man United in it. ;)

That's become quite the lopsided draw, with Madrid, Juve, Bayern and Barcelona on one side, and only really Atlético having recent European success on the other. Toss in City and PSG on either side as strong sides and it still seems likely the winner's going to come from the first lot.

So my money is now on Atalanta.

Just now, Fry Crayola said:

... for one round.

I doubt we'll get there to be honest, I can see Olympiakos knocking us out.

If we do, it'll be five times we'll have played you this season.  That's probably enough.