Football Thread 2019/2020

13 hours ago, glb said:

Graham Potter’s agent certainly deserves his 15% for getting his client that contract extension six months into the job.

The Guardian’s mid-season Fans Report for Brighton summed it up nicely. Something along the lines of “We’re playing much more attractive football under Potter. I just hope we’re playing it in the Premier League next season.”

• Upvote 2
41 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

Surprised it hasn't been already to be honest. 

It’s the worst weather I can remember. The fans will be soaked even stepping outside and it’s really cold. A miserable day all round. The fire crew are out all over the place, trees have fell and the roads are flooded. 

2 hours ago, grounded_dreams said:

Lots of matches called off today due to Storm Ciara, including the Manchester City Vs West Ham game:

Some of the replies to that tweet defy belief.

So if Barca sell Coutinho for £77m in the summer due to how clubs account for player amortisation instead of getting to laugh at them for taking a huge bath they'll actually be booking a profit. Still nobody other than the accountants will be looking at it as anything other than a huge flop. 

no, I'm no accountant but believe its a book rather than cash profit.

but I believe what makes that important is the calculations for FFP will take it into account, meaning they free up some capacity to splurge, and would also lose his huge wages off the books.

it's not a win, just an interesting quirk of football accounting.

Saw "Dele Alli" trending on twitter, thought there was a spurs game I missed where he had dived...

Nope, turns out he is just a racist, mocking asians and the cornovirus....

Apparently it happened over the weekend but bloody hell. 

was he really being racist, or is it just a mild off colour attempt at humour, the likes of which you see everywhere many times a day, but the second a footballer does it everybody calls for them to be hung out to dry, especially if they support another club. 

the double standards and hypocrisy of the football governing bodies know no limits, so they'll throw the book at him whilst happily cosying up to hateful and destructive bookie companies for millions in sponsorship and  backing immoral regimes with proven track records of human rights abuses.

• Upvote 8
26 minutes ago, Gotters said:

was he really being racist, or is it just a mild off colour attempt at humour, the likes of which you see everywhere many times a day, but the second a footballer does it everybody calls for them to be hung out to dry, especially if they support another club. 

the double standards and hypocrisy of the football governing bodies know no limits, so they'll throw the book at him whilst happily cosying up to hateful and destructive bookie companies for millions in sponsorship and  backing immoral regimes with proven track records of human rights abuses.

that’s a couple of separate issues. Each one should be dealt with. Start with racism. The EPL can look at toppling despotic governments another time.

1 minute ago, SeanR said:

that’s a couple of separate issues. Each one should be dealt with. Start with racism. The EPL can look at toppling despotic governments another time.

separate issues, but indicative of the mindset in governing bodies that hit Bendtner with a huge fine for wearing sponsored pants from a bookie whilst cosying up to the same bookies.

they like to appear tough on the things that are piss easy to go after, ignoring the far bigger and more problematic issues.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Gotters said:

He's being racist. He's probably not aware he's being racist, but he is, and it'll help encourage others to do the same. I'm seeing it at my daughter's school too (I'm in York, which has had Coronavirus cases), and it's depressing. East Asian kids getting ostracised and told they've got "Chinese Disease". The school has had to send letters out about it.

See also: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/feb/09/chinese-in-uk-report-shocking-levels-of-racism-after-coronavirus-outbreak

I recall reading recently, and I can't remember who from, the quote "We've done a great job of telling people racism is bad, but a really bad job of telling people what racism is." Case in point here.

He's been a silly twat, and will doubtless get a one match ban and be sent on a course.

• Upvote 6

Oh wow - the irony in this is staggering - Bournemouth are by far the worst side in the league for gamesmanship and shithousing.  Gosling is one of the worst offenders!!  Cannot abide them.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/12/bournemouth-contact-premier-league-over-referee-jon-mosss-sarky-remarks

If you can't take it, don't give it out in the first place, lads.

• Upvote 2
39 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Bournemouth are by far the worst side in the league for gamesmanship and shithousing. 

Eh? I wouldn't put them in the top three, personally. 

That is pathetic from Gosling though. 

18 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Eh? I wouldn't put them in the top three, personally. 

That is pathetic from Gosling though. 

Every time we've played them, they've been an absolute disgrace.  Same when they were in the Championship.  They're dirty, niggling, they dive, time waste, surround the ref at every opportunity.  Awful to watch it.

• Upvote 1

He probably was.  There's no way he told them they were shit out of the blue.  It's far more likely he got a torrent of whinging off them all game.  "You're shit, ref!"  "I'm shit?  You're the ones in the relegation zone."

• Upvote 3

I used to stand near the dug outs at Plymouth Argyle in the 90s. Neil Warnock was our manager for a period. This was pre-4th official. There wasn't anything he wouldn't say to the lino or ref. It was tactical. It had to be as even the fans nearby would tell him he was wrong. He'd often turn around and shout at us too.

Bournemouth wouldn't have 'cared' if they'd have won. It's literally a case of win at all costs.

• Upvote 1
  • gospvg changed the title to Football Thread 2019/2020 - Liverpool Champions