rllmuk
tronied

Microsoft Flight Simulator

God I am busting to have a go on this. How did you find out you'd been accepted, did they email or do you need to be on the Insider Hub or something? I can't even find a way to update my since-upgraded specs on the application.

Question re the big jets. Do they have realistic systems simulations eg does the a320 have thrust levers that only set to automated settings like flex and then the bottom 50% is controllable when the auto throttle is disconnected and do they have programmable flight management computers? 

@milko Apparently they send out an email. I didn't get one either :( Just hoping they do an Open Beta at some stage.

@Bangaio They do have programmable flight management computers from everything I've heard. I'm not sure if they're going to go to the effort of making every single button work in the a320 cockpit, but I imagine since these are reference aircraft they'll put extra effort in to match them as closely as possible to the real thing. After all, the flight sim community is really picky about even minor things wrong, so I imagine they'll go all in on realism.

What's really nice here is that they have that highlighting system to take you through the boot-up / take-off checklist to train you how to fly it to match the real-world. I'm hoping after a few goes on this I'll be able to take over if the call comes over the tanoy "can anyone fly?" ;)

[EDIT] Just to update my original posting. Here is how seriously Asobo is taking aircraft development. These are the recent tester release notes for the A320:

With this update comes the first jet for the Alpha, the Airbus A320. The team stated that they have had a close partnership with Airbus, and that this is a big step in the development process as the team works to finalize the aircraft. The team has also said “this is the first version of the plane, we hope you will help test many of the systems we’ve already included.”

• Fly by Wire system including some of the flight-envelope protection features and new airliner-specific autopilot and auto-throttle functions.
  • MCDU (flight computer)
  • FCU (Autopilot control panel) functions implemented.
  • SID’s and STAR’s
  • High altitude flight
  • Long range missions
  • Land with autobrake and ground spoilers
  • Newly implemented ground handling features such as jetways, refueling trucks, baggage and catering, pushback and ground power carts.

Its worth noting that the A320 will be missing some systems as the team wants to test the current systems. Testers should expect to see some missing indications and visual anomalies. “Many of the autopilot and auto-throttle functions work but some are still WIP. You will be able to fly ILS and visual approaches, but full approach functionality is not included in this version. Expect updates to the MSDU functionality and audio during our next round of updates.” The team has also said that they are excited to work with the community to get the experience with the other aircraft to the best it can be.

Known issues A320

Displays

• Approach speed bug and values are missing from the speed tape
  • Direct to waypoints display does not match reality on ND and in MCDU
  • Flight director blinks regularly
  • Flight director can be off on final approach
  • Traffic display on ND cannot be disabled
  • ILS nav beacons are not displayed in the MCDU flight plan section
  • Radar altimeter callouts report altitude approximately 10 feet higher than they should
  • The flight plan overlay symbols can be drawn at incorrect position
  • Radio frequencies don’t update following ATC window set frequencies
  • Direct to doesn’t display DIR destination on PFD
  • Scale is not correct for flight path drawing between NAV and ARC modes on PFD
  • PFD shows ETA in local time rather than ZULU time
  • FMA auto thrust mode during take off can show wrong information
  • Only Fuel and Engine synoptic displays are implemented
  • Flight management and guidance system
  • RNAV and VOR DME procedures are displayed in MCDU but are not yet supported
  • VOR indicators don’t work
  • LOC mode doesn’t work
  • Expedite mode is not implemented
  • FMGC does not take into account selected speed in MCDU as in reality
  • In MCDU departure runway cannot be selected without also selecting a SID
  • TRK/FPA mode is not implemented
  • MCDU “VIA airways” feature is not implemented
  • Mach/IAS automatic switch at high altitude is not fully working
  • MCDU performance approach phase automatic triggering happens too early during approach
  • Top of climb and descent must be more precisely calculated and displayed
  • Selected runway via the world map can be different from the one in the MCDU
  • Altitude constraints are implemented but not yet fully functional
  • Autoland is not implemented
  • Both autopilots cannot be selected at the same time
  • CAT 3 ILS is displayed in the FMA with only one AP enabled
  • Missed approach altitude cannot be set in MCDU during approach
  • Engaging managed mode for heading can cause unexpected aircraft behaviors
  • The selected and managed options cannot be selected in the MCDU
  • Backcourse navigation is not implemented
  • LVL CLB message in FMA should blink and not be framed when passing thrust reduction altitude

Other systems

• Engine oil pressure is too high
  • Engine oil quantity is too high and does not change as N1 increases
  • External power is not available while the plane is on a parking spot
  • Air pressure displayed while starting engines is too low
  • Weather radar tilt cannot be changed
  • TCAS and TARA are not implemented
  • Transponder code needs to be cleared before another code can be set
  • ADIRS is not implemented
  • Battery voltage should decrease when turning on multiple systems while operating on Battery

Sound

• The APU bleed sound is too quiet
  • Thrust levers detents can be impossible to hear when using some peripherals
  • The master warning sound does not match reality

Misc

• A placard is missing on the rudder pedals
  • Some tooltips are missing

Bearing in mind that this is a work in progress, that's an incredible level of detail even at this stage! But yes, it does sound like they're going to offer a fully workable a320 upon release.

• Upvote 2

That doesn’t sound too shabby at all from the base product. I had to get add ins to get that sort of functionality on with fsx. Flying a big jet aircraft using the full systems is an awesome experience - if you like that sort of thing so it’s nice to see approaches and departures and some degree of automation being modelled. 

I’ve never played a flight sim before, but from seeing the screen grabs and videos in here I really want to give it a go. It looks amazing. My question is, do these kind of games usually have an easy mode? I honestly don’t think I’d have the time or skill to learn how to properly fly a plane, but if there’s a simplified control option, then I’ll be all over it.

If it comes to Series X, that is.

15 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’ve never played a flight sim before, but from seeing the screen grabs and videos in here I really want to give it a go. It looks amazing. My question is, do these kind of games usually have an easy mode? I honestly don’t think I’d have the time or skill to learn how to properly fly a plane, but if there’s a simplified control option, then I’ll be all over it.

uh, auto-pilot?

33 minutes ago, SeanR said:

uh, auto-pilot?

No idea Sean, I’ve never played one. Does that sort out take off and landing? I’m guessing that’s the trickiest part.

17 minutes ago, JPL said:

No idea Sean, I’ve never played one. Does that sort out take off and landing? I’m guessing that’s the trickiest part.

every pc flight sim I've ever played:

take off:

num keys 1-0 for throttle

F for flaps (toggle)

B for brakes (toggle)

pull back on the stick, and you're in the air.

G for landing Gear (toggle)

(do a barrel roll)

landing:

nose up, reduce airspeed

flaps

landing gear

and down, reduce speed, brakes, air brakes

(press G to see what'll happen)

4 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

In my head the next response is ... Twitch?

zoom party to recreate Airplane! during a flight?

• Upvote 1

Slide1.jpg

They released the specs, aside from the HDD space, that's incredibly scalable, I can see how it could work on current gen (for context the first alpha required 32GB RAM, and the second 16GB, which was still Series X level)

EDIT: VV I made sure my new PC had 32GB RAM just because I thought the alpha specs would be final.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, JPL said:

On most of the Flight Sims I've played, you can just pilot the thing with a joystick if you want to i.e. power and stick. I imagine the Xbox version of this will be tailored towards those simplified controls. It will only be the PC which caters to both extremes with a sliding scale in difficulty. They've already confirmed this and will try to cater to everyone.

@RubberJohnny I'm using Shadow as my main gaming PC and their choice of going for 14gb's RAM is really frustrating! I might have to bite the bullet before this gets released and buy a full-on gaming PC with the 32gb.

Still no one in the alpha has confirmed whether you can fly under the Severn Bridge. That's the burning question people. 

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

Still no one in the alpha has confirmed whether you can fly under the Severn Bridge. That's the burning question people. 

I wonder if you'll hit a big stretchy vertical texture trying to fly under any bridges, given the photogrammetry they're using to create the world.  

13 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

I wonder if you'll hit a big stretchy vertical texture trying to fly under any bridges, given the photogrammetry they're using to create the world.  

Only certain areas of the UK has photogrammetry unfortunately. One is Southampton and I forget the other one. For the rest of the world (without it), they're using satellite imagery and machine learning to make a "best guess" for buildings, structures and trees. It's not going to be perfect, but so far the results look quite impressive.

Shame there's those username watermarks over them. Will those be there in the final product?

Looking forward to playing this, but I'm still in two minds whether I should get it on Xbox One or PC...

Can you play it with a steering wheel? :lol: Seriously though, the pedals could be used for the rudder, wheel for rolling and my sequential gear stick for pulling up/down. :sherlock:

@Meerman The watermarks are there to prevent anyone under NDA publishing a screenshot which isn't known about by Asobo. Given it's still in Alpha, they want to control what is shown when things are still in their early form. I've no doubt this will be gone once it's released.

Playing with a steering wheel is not too far out of left field. Given most modern flight sticks look like this:

depositphotos_224487294-stock-video-man-

The only thing you're missing is pushing back and forwards. Controlling that with the throttle would be interesting though ;) 

2 minutes ago, tronied said:

Playing with a steering wheel is not too far out of left field.

The only thing you're missing is pushing back and forwards. Controlling that with the throttle would be interesting though ;) 

I'm thinking steering wheel for roll, clutch and throttle for pitch and the shifter paddles for yaw. :D

Should work, though a bit 'interesting' as you say. Otherwise I'll just get a Hori stick.

On 09/05/2020 at 19:47, tronied said:

Another update (although I'm a bit late on this one - was posted on the 7th). Firstly a couple of videos - The first one looks you would be dropping some bricks if you were in that plane! No thanks to the flying:

And several nice new shots:

Desktop-Screenshot-2020.05.07-19.08.23.6

Flightsim_104-1.jpg

Screen-Shot-05-07-20-at-09.37-PM.jpg

Screen-Shot-05-06-20-at-12.42-PM-004.jpg

Lake-Lucerne-scaled.jpg

Desktop-Screenshot-2020.04.04-15.30.10.3

Flightsim_100-1.jpg

Flightsim_90.jpg

This really is looking better and better with each passing month.

Fantastic. Can you make a video of low altitude flying over a city?

The cloud generation they've come up with is gob smacking. I'm so happy they've put so much money into bringing this back properly.

It does still look like Flight Unlimited though, am I right?;) Still can't beat that game for the initial 'blow your socks off' visuals!

@Stevie Unfortunately I am not part of the Alpha... but even if I was, I couldn't share anything that was not pre-approved by Asobo / Microsoft due to the NDA. We just have to make do with what they show us at the moment :(

Saying that, there was a video posted last year which shows 9 cities with some low flying included. Well worth a look if you haven't seen it (skip to 10:19 for some low level UK action):

• Upvote 3

I need more tissues. And get me some of those wet wipes as well. 

• Upvote 2

Can someone please tell me if he or she has actually played the game looking like this, with no popups and what kind of alien machine does he or she have?

The attention to detail is something else. I wonder if they plan to launch an extravagent controller setup ala Steel Battalion with it?

• Upvote 1