rllmuk
tronied

Microsoft Flight Simulator

I do wish they’d give us an update about the console version. This looks absolutely amazing but I just have the fear that those menus and options will be watered down. If I’m the other hand it supports mouse and keyboard as well as throttles and joysticks it would be a very different matter. How would you set the correct thrust or power on a controller for example and once you’ve added trim view flaps gear etc to burtons you’re very short of anything other than essential controls. I hope I’m proven wrong and the console gives the full experience. 

Let’s hope this is part of the smart delivery for Xbox Series X. Looks so good.

49F4674E-D6B7-4B63-B2C5-CD2A5CFF3639.png

On 21/02/2020 at 12:44, Jashin said:

I’m not sure i understand why the premise is invalid? Fair enough though, I’m sure I’ll enjoy the missions at least.

I don’t get your second point either really. I don’t enjoy straight flight sims, never have since I started gaming in the mid 80’s. Apologies if my post was misconstrued to mean that sims weren’t ‘proper gaming’ somehow, that wasn’t my intention. They’re just not for me, with regard to flight sims anyway.

if you don’t enjoy straight sim then I might offer that something called “Microsoft Fligh Simulator” is probably nor for you.

Well yeah, obviously. My (badly made) point was that if there was some sort of structure to it to keep me interested then it’d be something I’d probably play. 

Worth noting they're sticking patch notes for the alpha up on the website publically now, along with a lot of eyecandy. Next gen graphical standard?

495b0c674b1bce9a222e07604285990e54416a51

ed715c53d30bb33feabbce7d01af4b2308e55b5d

Pueblo-Viejo-2-2048x1152.jpg

Screen-Shot-04-01-20-at-10.21-PM-2048x11

• Upvote 8

yeah it doesnt run like that on mine :(

You'll need a beefy as fuck pc for this...

Just flown over southampton, its mental, you can see all the traffic driving around.... stunning really

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

Just flown over southampton, its mental, you can see all the traffic driving around.... stunning really

what is your PC?

i assume that they’ve got some optimisation passes to do at some point, hopefully.

Its fucking stunning though... it really is, I set clouds to medium and they're at about 6k feet, you fly through them and its like being there... and whilst under them you can see patches of the land in front lit from the sun as it breaches through.... a very very pretty game.... the flight model seems fairly accurate, very simliar to the couple of flights I've done in real life.

• Upvote 5

It's utterly phenomenal!

If you have even the slightest interest in flying aircraft properly then this is the sim to get, no questions.

Just took off from Keflavik in Iceland in a Daher TBM 930 .. unfortunately I had real weather on and visibility was under 50ft.. Sat on the runway I could just about make out either side...

so Cloud base was pretty much at eZro feet and I climbed to about 12k... then you can see a bright circle in the clouds, and you realize its the sun... it dips in an out as the clouds thicken and lessen until yoo emerge from the clouds into brilliant sunshine.... utterly utterly gob smacking stuff.

• Upvote 8

Sounds incredible, have you got access to everywhere or just limited locations right now? 

I think the alphas have been everywhere is available, but number of planes is limited (there was only one to start with, there's a few now). They've also been sprucing up the airports as they go.

Are you all using a pc for this. I’m still fascinated with how it would work on an Xbox. 

Badly I should think. The install is 100gb at the moment... I don’t think it’s the sort of game suited to a console... it’s the sort of thing you make up your own flight panels for and run 3 monitors for each view 

just prop planes like Cessna etc at the mo...a320 is due to be unlocked in the next day or so.

VR in this would be superb.

On 10/04/2020 at 10:58, PopeSmokesDope said:

i7 6700 3.4ghz, 32gb ram and 1060 6gb

If I turn everything up to max it chugs along at about 5-10fps on my machine.

2080ti, Ryzen 3900X @ 4.5Ghz (12 cores 24 threads), 32GB of RAM and the game installed to a PCIe SSD.

I'm glad they are future proofing this.

• Upvote 3

OK, things that they need to sort out....

Terrain.

Ye sit use satellite data, but its pretty patchy in some places and it seems liek they just stick trees everywhere... Th Lake District and Iceland are covered in forests, when in reality there arnt any (The tops of mountains dont have trees on them in real life)

I'msure these will come with 3rd party terrrain packs.

7 hours ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

Badly I should think. The install is 100gb at the moment... I don’t think it’s the sort of game suited to a console... it’s the sort of thing you make up your own flight panels for and run 3 monitors for each view 

just prop planes like Cessna etc at the mo...a320 is due to be unlocked in the next day or so.

VR in this would be superb.

I so  yo me agree but I’m still curious mainly as a ditched my pc rig years ago and went Mac for computing tasks and PS4 for games. 

I was heavily invested in FSx and spent most of my time flying the aerosoft a320 and some of the pmdg planes. That was serious flying business probably my most “played” “game” ever.

I can’t see how you could pull off even a rudimentary approximation of flying day an a320 on a console particularly if The flight deck controls are clickable. 

8 hours ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

everwhere... currently leaving Marakesh Menara for a trip over the sahara

Can you confirm you can fly under the Severn Bridge. 

7 hours ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

OK, things that they need to sort out....

Terrain.

Ye sit use satellite data, but its pretty patchy in some places and it seems liek they just stick trees everywhere... Th Lake District and Iceland are covered in forests, when in reality there arnt any (The tops of mountains dont have trees on them in real life)

I'msure these will come with 3rd party terrrain packs.

I was under the impression one of the main selling points for this is that we wouldn’t have to deal with 3rd party stuff which will cost a fortune and that the entire planet was in with pretty accurate detail.

Also this is one game when using medium level settings and such is not something I would like. I hope it’s decent on the series X since it looks like to be pretty powerful.

I assume a lot of the detail of the planet and weather systems will eventually be server based to allow realtime weather events. Sea of Thieves ocean tech and the placement of boats in relation to each other is all powered by the cloud, otherwise cannonballs would never hit their targets. This is why they can hopefully get this running on consoles in some less complex manner.

Basically, go take a look at bing maps in 3d... its the same map..

Whilst cities etc look amazing, the countryside is a different matter, tree placement seems completely off... Iceland for instance isn't exactly known for being covered in trees (there are hardly any), the south coast is all lava fields and ash sand plains, yet it appears to have fuck loads of trees everywhere... similarly the lake district here, the tops of all the mountains and fells are covered in forests, when the forests are down in the valleys. I'm guessing there's some kind of procedural placement going on that needs tweaking as it looks really odd to see the top of scafell pike covered in trees.

Weather patterns are already real-time and there's already the slip streaming in of real aircraft traffic. If i'm honest, i'm not sure theres much of a market for a hardcore flight sim on a console is there? It's not the sort of game you can sit on the sofa and play, you need a proper desk setup with HOTAS etc to get the most out of it.. I can;t imagine many people woud want to sit staring at a plane dashboard on their 55" plasma for 5 hours straight.

5 hours ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

Whilst cities etc look amazing, the countryside is a different matter, tree placement seems completely off...

It sounds daft, but I'd be interested to see how the display theme parks. Things like Alton, Blackpool & Thorpe Park (Plus the big US ones). 

I'll take a look tonight, i won;t be bale to post a screen shot as the whole screen is covered in watermarks

One thing i'm looking forward to with the A320 is getting some height at last and finally some speed!

• Upvote 1

On 10/04/2020 at 10:30, PopeSmokesDope said:

How are the cars done?  I mean, is there a set selection that follow a route or what?  Do you always see the same Focus at 3.15 by the KFC for instance?

hard to tell, all random.... seem to be US based as notice quite a few american trucks driving round, very weird seeing them driving around housing estates too! The other odd thing is they dont seem to slow down, they'll go into a dead end and just flip round... tbh they;re fine... you mainly notice them when your low and crossing over a motorway coming into land or something and you can see streams of traffic

Didn't look like Thorpe Park was there and Nothing at Blackpool... that includes no Tower or Piers... it looks like theyve just randomised buildings for the non proper 3d modeled ones, still looks great mind.

If you check out the windows 10 store app (its free) Earth View - Map 3d - Thats the same data apparantly, so any proper 3d models in taht will be in the game, everything else looks like it will be randomised

I did however chase the sun as I took off from blackpool at dusk and it was stunning, did a short jaunt to the Isle of Mann , figured out how to contact ATC and sort my landing permissions out etc... I'm going to love this game!

• Upvote 1